Buying from Amazon

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Richard_

Buying from Amazon

Post by Richard_ »

I've posted this question on MyBroadband, but I'll post it here too because I'd like some additional feedback.
Amazon are really cheap when it comes to netbooks. Is it safe importing directly from Amazon? I've never done anything like this before. I'd be making use of a courier service like DHL. Now, my questions:

1. How is customs handled? Is there any way of getting around paying duties? Apparently computers/netbooks don't even get charged for import duties, but I don't know how true that is. Also, apparently couriers can clear customs for you without actually paying customs? What about bringing it in as a gift?

2. How is VAT paid? Do the couriers pay this once the item gets into the country, and will I then simply pay the couriers back?

3. Should I insure the netbook, or are the well-known couriers generally quite reliable and safe?

Thanks guys. Feedback much appreciated :-)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Buying from Amazon

Post by Stuart »

1. I doubt very much you'd get around the customs thing. The no-customs-for-electronic-goods thing works well in theory, but this is South Africa we're talking about. I've never ordered a netbook from Amazon, but everything I have ever ordered (which is mostly books, CDs and DVDs, admittedly) has always been hit by customs when it comes in. You should, however, mark it as a gift item so that (theoretically) Amazon doesn't print the value of the item on the package. You may get away with a lesser customs fee that way. That being said, the last few "gift items" I've ordered have not been packaged as such.

2. No clue. The only additional charge I've ever had is for customs. Even when I sent RAM off to OCZ to be RMAed, when it came back via courier I only paid the customs charge.

3. Always insure it to be safe. I'd say that the couriers are generally reliable, but then you take a chance and something happens. Insurance will probably end up being pointless, but Murphy's law comes into play here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Oh, and I've never had any issues importing from Amazon, so, yeah, I'd say it's safe.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Thanks for your helpful answer :)
Thing is, I'm trying to work out whether it'll be cheaper importing it directly, or getting it through an import company like Have2Have. If I have to pay 15% customs, and 14% VAT, and another R500 for courier fees, it'll be cheaper just getting it through Have2Have. But without either of customs or VAT, it'll definitely be worth my while to bring it in myself.

Stuart, you say you've never paid anything other than customs. How much was customs, about 15%? And who did you use as a courier, or did you just use the post office?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Replied to you on FB Richard.

Dude, if you DO save money doing this, it'll be a small amount, not worth the complications if you need to RMA.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Yeah Ett, I got it, thanks :)

R5050 from Have2Have, compared to R3050 from Amazon. That's quite a difference.

With 15.4% import duties this comes to R3520
Add courier fees of around R500 and I'm sitting on R4020.

If there isn't an additional amount to pay for VAT, then I'm saving just over R1000. Quite worth it, I'd say :P Notebooks in general don't give very many hassles, and even if I were to buy it through Have2Have, I'd still end up paying the expense of sending it back if something goes wrong.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Well I've just phoned FedEx and they're not very clued up. All they can tell me is that there may be VAT payable as well as customs for any item over R500. How on earth do I find out exactly whether or not VAT and customs is payable?
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

You need to pay vat on all imports

R3050 + 14% Vat + 6% Import duties and you end up paying R3660

Add shipping and penalties for importing something that is already available and you might just end up paying R5050 for it.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

maxxis wrote:You need to pay vat on all imports

Add shipping and penalties for importing something that is already available and you might just end up paying R5050 for it.
I've only ever paid 15.4% on my imports
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

My bad then.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

maxxis wrote:You need to pay vat on all imports

This is the problem; there so many conflicting views. I definitely know of people who have paid VAT on imported goods. Some people do pay VAT while others don't. Heck, some even manage to get away without paying import duties. Seems like there's no real way of finding out exactly what charges I'll be hammered for once the product reaches customs offices here in SA.
Prime

Post by Prime »

What make and model of netbook is it? You sure its not available locally?

customs doesn't seem to have set system. Maybe because it makes it much harder for people to win a fight with them. Or maybe because they are bureaucrats.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Prime wrote:customs doesn't seem to have set system. Maybe because it makes it much harder for people to win a fight with them. Or maybe because they are Vogons.
There, fixed that for you. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

It's an Asus EEE-PC 1000HE. Rated the top netbook available at the moment, at least on a bang-for-buck ratio. Nobody imports them in SA. I've tried all the major suppliers.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

and unfortunately even if you DO manage to clear it up before ordering, all you need is for some customs official to make a mistake and you're done for. good luck in getting customs to reverse something they've screwed up on!
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Right, well I managed to get some info. It would seem that all items that are marked under $120 are customs free. Everything marked over that amount may or may not be charged, depending on how much the official had to drink the previous night :P So my best best is buying from E-Bay and getting the package marked as less than it's worth. Paypal here I come. Sigh.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Richard_ wrote:Right, well I managed to get some info. It would seem that all items that are marked under $120 are customs free. Everything marked over that amount may or may not be charged, depending on how much the official had to drink the previous night :P So my best best is buying from E-Bay and getting the package marked as less than it's worth. Paypal here I come. Sigh.
But remember, if you are taking insurance you will most probably have to put the real value up for that, and then get nailed for the actual price.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

When I started reading this thread, I was really enthusiastic as I only ever buy stuff on the net from take2 or kalahari. And I'd always wondered about al the particular details.. Seems nobody really knows unfortunately.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Bought a video cam online and it was sent, paid about 15% customs.
Bro-in-law saw the cam and the price and ordered himself one same place same money, same paypal, same everything using my credit card.
Customs cleared it as no fees payable. Go figure.
Customs make the rules up as they go... depends on who is at the office on the day and how lus they are to do their work, if you ask me.