Creating a website to display manual input?

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Creating a website to display manual input?

Post by Anakha56 »

Morning,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to.

I need to create a web page so that someone can input values and it gets displayed out onto the screen, and I have no idea at what I am looking at. Probably a SQL database and 2 separate pages one page as the backend and the other as the display page correct? This page is going to be showing exchange rate and a few other market items hat are related to the company.

Thank You!

/if I did not make any sense, I shall try again :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Re: Creating a website to display manual input?

Post by SykomantiS »

So you want a page that the user can use to insert values into a database and another page to read said values from the db and display them onto a web page?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Sounds about right. Not sure though I have only ever done static pages not something interactive.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

I'm not too familiar with the technology, but can't you use AJAX to submit while keeping the page open, or do you need substantial browser backward's compatibility? If you can go for this, use a DHTML page update to update your page while submitting in the background, and then when you get confirmation back from the database, update the page again to indicate success. That's if I'm understanding what you want to do correctly though?

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Either that or a php/asp site that simply inserts/updates to the db and then queries and redirects to a display page. I haven't worked on AJAX so can't really comment on that. Though the functions sounds about the same. You could also use an asp update panel to insert and then repopulate the page after a successful insert. Should do roughly the same thing, if I even understand this correctly.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Syko the asp one sounds like a winner just one question...

How would I go about doing it? Brief outline and I will play, its just as you typed it out I dont understand :P.
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Anakha56 wrote:Sounds about right. Not sure though I have only ever done static pages not something interactive.
Oh okay. Then my previous advice may be all of useless. Multiple submits like what you describe are probably best.

If you wanna give it a try though, try something along these lines:

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function update()
{
var x=document.getElementsByName("input_txt");
document.getElementById('output_div').innerHTML = "<p>" + x[0].value + "</p>";

}
</script>
</head>

<body>
<input id="input_txt" name="input_txt" type="text" size="20" /> <br />
<input type="button" onclick="update()" value="update page" /> <br />
<div id="output_div" name="output_div" /> <br />
</body>

</html>

Basically you define an empty div, and then you use the DOM and javascript to manipulate it afterwards by embedding a function in your submit button.

Here's a few (MUCH) more competent examples of how to use this stuff:

http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_examples_3.asp

Just ask if you need it explained. Hope this is what you were after.

Good luck, hope it helped.

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I'm sorry Anakha, but I'm a bit pressed for time right now. I'll try give a more thorough explanation as soon as I can :(
I should be able to get round to it later today, unless someone else can help you out. Sorry to leave you hanging.

You can take a look at this.

It should give you some idea of what you would need to do. I glanced over it rather quickly, but it seems to be roughly what you want. This shows how to insert into a db. Hope it helps.

Reading data to a page should be similar, but you sql statement would obviously be a select statement. you then just have to populate your textboxes with data from your data source/object.

Edit: and my google search on the topic :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Thanks already have a google search open :P.

Will play around a bit but at least you got me started on the right path...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Hope it helps.