Cannot Connect to "localhost"

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Cannot Connect to "localhost"

Post by Anakha56 »

Hello,

So at work I decided to take the plunge and use Win7 on my work, after backing up all my files (and forgetting a very important one, more on that later) I formatted and installed. I then went around my usual business of re-installing all the needed apps and this is where my problem started and as yet has not been sorted. :(

On my Vista machine I had XAMPP installed and was using the localhost address to do my joomla creating and editing. However with the upgrade to Win 7 and the same install of XAMPP when I try to browse to the localhost url I keep getting the error message "HTTP 404 Not found" yet everything, besides the new OS, is the same. So after doing some Googling it appears I needed the SQL part :oops: of Joomla backed up? However even if I try to do a new install I cannot access localhost url. Any ideas?

I apologize if I am not making any sense but I have no idea what I need to do to get working. I have even tried this on a virtual WinXP and I still am not getting anywhere :(. I am now trying WAMP to see if that can help but I dont have high hopes :(.

*edit*

Seems WAMP worked now for my next question. Before the move I used the joomla extension JoomlaPack to make a backup of the site. I still have the backup but have no idea how to go about restoring it if I cannot access my previous install since it cant find the database. :(
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Re: Cannot Connect to "localhost"

Post by Anakha56 »

I should mention WAMP worked on the Virtual still struggling to get it working on Win 7. I also have managed to restore my site! Yay go JoomlaPack!

Now if someone could please help me in getting localhost to work on Win7? :P Now I must also move this to the proxy since it is "complete".
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:D I got it working on Win7 seems XAMPP really does not like Win7, WAMP just needed the services to be restarted. Of course this could just be my machine but I am just super happy that I have my working site back! :D Wish I could drink something alcoholic to celebrate but work wont allow :( :P.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Just goes to show what the importance of posting your problems are, all posts by you and answered by you. And got everything working, well done. :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: I could not just leave it hanging :P. Plus I know that there are very few people who use Joomla on this forum so if it helps someone a little its all worth it :P.