What is best way to format pc?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

What is best way to format pc?

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi guys. Just two questions.

1. What is best order to format pc? i have windows XP sp2. is it install windows > install SP3 > install Updates > install drivers > install other programs?

2. what is difference between 64 bit and 32 bit. i was thinking of getting vista 64bit? but would it be good or bad? i have 2.4GHz quad core with 2 GB RAM.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Synthesis

Re: What is best way to format pc?

Post by Synthesis »

You're order is fine, only way really to do XP.
If you're planning on purchasing, stay away from vista!
Above all, I would recommend Windows 7 as it is free until March next year. For me it's faster, better performance and more stabile than vista and XP. :wink:

*Edit. on 64 bit: Depends what programs you're running. I noticed a hell of a difference using Photoshop CS4 from 32 bit to 64 bit. gaming performace is visible and allround multitasking yes, definately go for 64 bit.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Thanks. hmm. 64 bit XP is not available... unless i missing something? so that means vista?
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

64 bit XP is available, although XP is now considered obsolete. Word of advice, stay away. even now, it's driver compatibility isn't 100%. Although you will probably manage to get everything you need it will be a hassle. I used XP x64 for 6 months and about 2 of those months were getting my PC up to scratch with compatible software, drivers etc. Be sure to start looking for alternitives for about 50% of your favourite programs. It also crashed a lot on me for no reason and needed a number of repair installs. For future support you're also stuffed. XP won't be supported anymore, especially once Windows 7 is on the shelves.

It took me one day on Windows 7 64 bit to get latest drivers and all my favourite programs to work. Even things like my HP 1018 Laser printer which I never got to work properly on Vista. Windows 7 brings back the proper meaning of plug and play and with the performance.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

wow. thanks. where can i get windows 7? i starting new job on monday. and they have a 12mb (3 x 4mb lines bonded) internet connection. must find out if its uncapped and if i can download freely... lol. then i can download.

EDIT: going to format now. back tomorrow night. :)
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Win 7 64 is available.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Sojourn wrote:Win 7 64 is available.
it is?

:shock:

NO ... WAI ...

:run4hills:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Drop it repeatedly on the floor until the drive is empty. The contents will fall out without you knowing so do it at least 7 times.

Or wait.... thats for a Mac.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

maxxis wrote:Drop it repeatedly on the floor until the drive is empty. The contents will fall out without you knowing so do it at least 7 times.
make sure the hard drive is spinning while you do this.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

True otherwise the data hangs on for dear life. If it spins the data gets drunk and lets go easier
Prime

Post by Prime »

maxxis wrote:Drop it repeatedly on the floor until the drive is empty. The contents will fall out without you knowing so do it at least 7 times.

Or wait.... thats for a Mac.
:lol: I was just about to suggest using a hammer. if you don't know what you are doing, the affect will be the same :twisted:
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

lol. well i am back finished the format pc is running gr8 again. amazing what a 3 hour format and software install can do for a PC.

@maxxis and Prime I know how to format a PC. been doing it since i was about 9 years old. (now 22) I just wanted to find out what is best order to do the format and software reload. :)

Although i at my new job which i start tomorrow i will be using a MAC. :? Never used it b4... so going to die. I fully agree on the dropping and hammering on MAC.

My old boss and colleges had this discussion where we Said that if a All the virus coders of the world changed the attack from Microsoft to MAC. MAC would go to pieces.

My boss used this comparison: Say he has a fort and i have a fort. both have the same walls. His got lots of women in his fort. I have none. Now a tribe comes and they want women.
As i have none they will go straight for the other fort. My bosses walls would then have to be rebuilt and strengthening a lot. I would not have to. So if i offered to keep the women on my side then all the tribes would attack me. But i would have no experience in fort wall building and would be overcome by the tribes.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Prime wrote:...affect...
Effect
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Hman wrote:
Prime wrote:...affect...
Effect
lol ... pwned ... by an afrikaner no less!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

DeathStrike wrote:My old boss and colleges had this discussion
your boss gave a lot of speeches? :?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

lol. yes my boss did give lots of speeches.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me