Fedora Core 10

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Jazman

Fedora Core 10

Post by Jazman »

I notice that on this month's DVD we have Fedora Core 10, that is all well and good and I for one am very happy with this, but I don't think that it has been done very well, for a start there are no instructions or none that I can see, either as a read me on the DVD itself or an article in the magazine, I'm pretty certain that in the UK version there would have been a full write up in the magazine. The net result of all this is that there will be a lot of confused people out there who don't realise that you will have to burn the ISO image to a DVD as an ISO image. I'm not sure why that wasn't done on the original PC Format Disc in the first place as it would save a lot of time and confusion, also it may have been preferable to have a 'live' version so people could try it out first as a non destructible installation, although that would of course only be a smaller 'CD' version. I could be wrong here but isn't this the 64 bit version? All in all a bit of a **** up I'm afraid. On a positive note at least we got a linux distro!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Fedora Core 10

Post by Ron2K »

My comments on the above:
  • Give your average PCF reader credit for intelligence - if they are reading a computer magazine, and they want to install a Linux distro, they will most likely know what an ISO is and what to do with it.
  • Your average computer magazine reader who doesn't know what to do with an ISO would be expected to know how to search Google for a solution. (Refer to the link in my sig.)
  • If they can't manage this, they should not be attempting to install an operating system from scratch.
Honestly - it's better for people to learn by doing than have everything spoonfed to them.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm with Ron. Anyone who doesn't know what an ISO is, or how to use it, should stay far away from Linux, as you need to have SOME knowledge to use Linux. A user that doesn't know what an ISO is has many more gaps in his/her knowledge that would make using linux a nightmare.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Ron2K wrote: it's better for people to learn by doing than have everything spoonfed to them.
i disagree...

i feel it is encumbent on Panorama to supply, if not an on-site techie, at least a free - functional - brain with every issue... that way, the oprah fans out there will be able to enjoy all the bonus content they're receiving without risking their fragile minds on actual thought...

or rather.. .wait.. what was that point again.... ooh... button.....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Jazman wrote:I notice that on this month's DVD we have Fedora Core 10, that is all well and good and I for one am very happy with this, but I don't think that it has been done very well, for a start there are no instructions or none that I can see, either as a read me on the DVD itself or an article in the magazine, I'm pretty certain that in the UK version there would have been a full write up in the magazine. The net result of all this is that there will be a lot of confused people out there who don't realise that you will have to burn the ISO image to a DVD as an ISO image. I'm not sure why that wasn't done on the original PC Format Disc in the first place as it would save a lot of time and confusion, also it may have been preferable to have a 'live' version so people could try it out first as a non destructible installation, although that would of course only be a smaller 'CD' version. I could be wrong here but isn't this the 64 bit version? All in all a bit of a **** up I'm afraid. On a positive note at least we got a linux distro!
The disk probably was not made live in order to save space that could be used for other apps, demos and patches.

and when did the comma become the new full stop?
Last edited by Monty on 28 May 2009, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Monty wrote:The disk probably was not made live in order to save space that could be used for other apps, demos and patches.
The live version is smaller than the DVD version that was included on the PC Format disc.
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Gents, I agree with everything that you have to say, I just thought that a live version would allow a whole new bunch of people to experience a different OS. And perhaps in a couple of months they could have introduced the full DVD version to a potentially bigger audience, maybe even with an article and 'how to' guide in the mag to assist the nervous newcomer.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Hi all, just a heads up in this regard. Jaz, we went under the assumption that the Linux boys would know exactly what to do with the iso and expected nothing less than their first borns and hot sisters for the bandwidth saving. Having said that, you do have a point and we should perhaps have included some instructions for the brave who wanted to give it a go.

Linux is getting pretty darned sexy of late and for the next issue we will be publishing a how to guide for Kubuntu as well as a few other smaller distros along with accompanying iso's (none of which will be live but since Ubuntu is smaller (700MB) we will include both 32 and 64 bit versions.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
andrewgerm

Post by andrewgerm »

Good day all

I somewhat agree that perhaps the ISO could have been written to the DVD, instead of just the image. I never viewed the disc contents before trying to boot, so took me a few minutes to then decide to do that. Then burnt the image. My OS of choice on my laptop has always been Fedora, acquired from the various PC Format discs. Unfortunately, I can't use the Fedora 10 disc, as my laptop does not support 64bit. It would be nice to see more distros on the discs in the future (perhaps the 32 bit of Fedora 10? Or 32 / 64 of the upcoming Fedora11)

A txt file on the disc would probably have been a good idea, or even just some text on the disc cover, for those who would not know.

Thanks for the great disc though!!
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I accidentally 4GB ISO is this I liek to eat chicken dangerous?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers