Obtaining external IP via VPN/remote desktop log

Network problem solving and tweaks
Hex_Rated

Obtaining external IP via VPN/remote desktop log

Post by Hex_Rated »

I've configured my PC to be on the DMZ on my router at home so I could get some files across from work. I've been VPNing into the work account quite often and doing work from home. Problem is I'm now at work and need to get into my home PC and don't have the external IP address written down.

Is there anywhere I can find the last Remote Desktop connection or external VPN entry in one of the log files? I really don't feel like driving 20km home and 20km back to copy a database script. I don't think it should have changed it's IP address recently, the lease lasts quite long. I was accessing the VPN this morning.

Any ideas?

I'd ask an admin to give me my dynamic IP allocated from the last post but it's probably changed by now...
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Re: Obtaining external IP via VPN/remote desktop log

Post by Anthro »

Do you have access to the work router ?
I checked your IP - has definitely changed..I can also maybe give your IP's you posted from >?
Another idea might be to log into your ADSL usage tracker, they show your assigned IP there ? check the latest one ! :P :wink:
Temporary Absence
Hex_Rated

Re: Obtaining external IP via VPN/remote desktop log

Post by Hex_Rated »

I'm on a static IP right now, I was on a dynamic this morning but I haven't posted since then so you should have a static ADSL IP (196.211.x.x) ATM and an iBurst (196.2.x.x / 41.x.x.x) IP somewhere in the past which won't match the current IP because it was about 2-3 days ago since I last posted...

The work router is locked, our ISP won't let us administrate it without guarantying 24/7 connectivity. I think I'll put a port sniffer in between it on the telnet port next time I phone them to open a port or two. :twisted: I do have access to the server which I assume does the VPN negotiation - it's a windows 2003 box. I just can't find anything in the event logs but I don't really know what I'm doing to be honest.

Time to sign up for DynDNS, I had everything prepped for today and I was just about to demo and I found the DB struct was outdated. :evil:

It's OK though, I can continue from home, I haven't really stopped working for about 3 weeks. What day is it today anyway? Feels like Monday... :compress: :compress: :tard:
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64