Wireless query

Viruses, hackers and crackers
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Wireless query

Post by DJT »

Good day fellow Forumites

Quick question for you
Take a typical network with a wireless AP with a password. Would a company upstairs who also has a Wireless network show up under the entire network view by default, or will that only happen if they have actually gained access to the network?

Heres the prob. I found our JHB branch was capped on the 4th with 35GB of usage, mostly downloads. THey never even get thru 10gb a month so this was an immediate red flag. So i log into the server up there after i get them some more cap and under the "Entire Network" view i see all our workgroups, including one from a company upstairs. I also have mac addresses of two PCs that connected and were dished out IP addresses by the DHCP server. To get this far they need to have put the password in right?

Thanks in advance
Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Wireless query

Post by Ron2K »

Yes - if they got that far, they would have managed to enter the correct PSK (assuming you're using a PSK, which is not a good idea for a corporate wireless network - I would use security certificates and RADIUS instead).

EDIT: I see $upstairs_company also has a wireless network - it's possible that the two networks got bridged somehow; it's something that I'm not that familiar with but it probably involves knowing PSKs as well.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Ron2K wrote: EDIT: I see $upstairs_company also has a wireless network - it's possible that the two networks got bridged somehow; it's something that I'm not that familiar with but it probably involves knowing PSKs as well.
Basicly to bridge a network you put one wireless ap in access point mode (thats what they normally in) and the other in client mode and search for the other network. Once found you tell it to connect and enter the correct psk and bingo. Your bridged.
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

Thanks Ron

Management are taking it up with the company involved as they have cost us over R2500
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook