Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
AlphA

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04

Post by AlphA »

I managed to get a chance to install Netbook Remix on my EEE PC 701 this afternoon. So far, so good, its running well.
Wifi works out the box, so do all the function buttons. Seems like there is a lot more support than there was on 8.04.

I just had one issue.....netbook-launcher was REALLY slow. So slow that it was unusable. Funny enough, the applications were running fine.

Installing the following packages sorted out my problems... Its fine now.

linux-headers
and
linux-image

Other than the above issue - all is well. I think I'll use it for a while and see how it goes. Might install xfce as it should be a bit lighter.
M1ke

Re: Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04

Post by M1ke »

I'm using just plain Ubuntu Jaunty and not the netbook remix, since I had 800MB of spare cap and had to choose one ;)

I'm glad you seem to like it!
I'll probably give it a whirl sometime, although I prefer the look of Gnome's default UI.
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

After using it for a day or so.......it started to feel sluggish. Maybe its cos I only have a 2G surf. Running the OS off a SD Card (A-data for the EEE PC).

I ended up installing XFCE - maybe a massive performance improvment , but , I must admit, WinXP is still a lot more responsive - possibly cos I am running XP off the internal solid state HDD.

If you have a 2G Surf - give Netbook Remix a miss.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

XFCE actually gave me a slower boot than Gnome on my EEE 904HA (Read 1000H).

And Windows will without a doubt be a lot faster if its on the SSD.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I think thats my main problem...I donly have 2GB SSD so I have to run Netbook remix on the SD Card :-(
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Ouch.

Can't you rig a bigger SSD?
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

M1ke wrote:Ouch.

Nope - the SSD is soldered onto the mobo. Its cool though, I primarily use the eee pc to stream mp3 and divx from my main PC to my HT system in my loung. XP does a good enough job for that.

I just wanted to mess around with Netbook remix to see what its all about. I have a spare P4 2.4Ghz machine. Will install it there when I have time.
gmccumskey

Post by gmccumskey »

AlphA wrote:
M1ke wrote:Ouch.

Nope - the SSD is soldered onto the mobo. Its cool though, I primarily use the eee pc to stream mp3 and divx from my main PC to my HT system in my loung. XP does a good enough job for that.

I just wanted to mess around with Netbook remix to see what its all about. I have a spare P4 2.4Ghz machine. Will install it there when I have time.
Personally I like the idea of having a "full" OS on a netbook as opposed to the limited netbook remix (I know its a full OS in the background). I installed Xubuntu onto my sisters EeePC, can't remember the model number, but its the one with a 2GB SSD. She has no way of getting another but has an external DVD drive on her machine. She hated the default Xandros and now loves her little Eee ... and is over the MOON that she didn't have to pay a licence fee :D
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Thanks - I should actually give Xubuntu a shot. I used to run it on an old Duron 800 (in the days or version 6xx) and it ran fine.

Will give it shot on the eee pc when I get a chance.