Upgrade from Asus P5-AD2E Premium?

Any hardware related topics go here.
Kenjutsu

Upgrade from Asus P5-AD2E Premium?

Post by Kenjutsu »

I want to upgrade from my trusty old P5-AD2E Premium to something more powerful. I know with the new Core i7 tech released, it probably does not make sense to go for a LGA775-based upgrade, but the new Core i7 tech is just to expensive. :roll:

I am looking for a new MB and CPU for not more than R2,500. I will be re-using my 7600GT, 4 x 1Gb DDRII-800 sticks, SB Audigy 2 sound card, SATA HDDs, optical drives, etc. Since I have a Netburst room warmer CPU, I water cooled it, so if I can get a WC-friendly MB, that will be great :wink:

Any suggestions?
Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. - Miyamoto Musashi
Frozenfireside

Re: Upgrade from Asus P5-AD2E Premium?

Post by Frozenfireside »

You could get an AMD setup and it would be a massive improvement on the current setup. Tri core and a very very decent mobo for the money.

I'll hand you over to the AMD knowitalls :arrow: :mrgreen:
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

I saw the following post here on the forum: http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34974

The Biostar board looks like a winner!
Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. - Miyamoto Musashi
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

It would seem as if the cheapest compatible CPU will be the Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.5GHz 2MB 800Mhz FSB LGA775 Processor.

Now my only concern is whether the WC will fit...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Well the cpu cooler mounting will be the same for an lga775 board. You won't easily find a board with wc northbridge for under 3 grand, probably more like 4 grand. But for a few hundred, you can wc the northbridge if you want. Thats not really my field of expertise though.

You could get an e7200 for about 700 rand new, iirc :D depending on where you get it from. Prophecy had good pricing on them. As does digitalsaonline.
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

I e-mailed Landmark Computers about stock availability on the Biostar board, and was informed that it is discontinued.

My next option is now the Asus P5KPL/1600 IG31
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Just get a P5Q.
Its like R1500 and clocks so well.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(