Server 2003 Install help please?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Synthesis

Server 2003 Install help please?

Post by Synthesis »

Ok, I'm installing server 2003 for our new shop that I just need 5 PC's to connect to.
It's Small Business Server Premium edition, no service packs.

I went through this: http://howto.helpero.com/howto/Install- ... 03_12.html helpful guide.
The problem I am having is that step 11 (selecting license method) in the above guide is not popping up.
I ran the default install only to find out it installed as a domain controller with active directory and not a workgroup. I want it as a workgroup. I ran "dcpromo" which sorted that out but then I have a problem with licenses. It by default only accepts 2 concurrent connections and this is a 5 license package by default. I just have the install product key and no other cal licenses, which is correct isn't it? It should run as a 5 cal.

Any ideas or advice please?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Server 2003 Install help please?

Post by hamin_aus »

I have not done much work on SBS, so this might be off target, but if you look at the packaging that came with SBS there are instructions on how to activate your 5 CALs, it even tells you how to set them as device or user CALs.

Failing that...

Start :arrow: Server Manager :arrow: Licensing :arrow: Add Licenses :arrow: enter your product key.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

jamin_za, Yeah, After some playing around for the first time and figuring out, I came across that and the product key entered into there is not accepted. I don't have packaging. I'm not sure how it works. It's just 5 CD's in pouches with a yellow sticker stuck onto the pouch.

I'm busy re-installing though 'cos when I get into windows after setup, it is a Workgroup and licenses work until it carries on with the setup by installing AD which can't be cancelled. I ended the task only to stuff up the install by which it didn't boot into windows. :oops:
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

If i may ask why do you need a SBS for 5 PC's on a workgroup ?

What will the role of the server be ?