Extremely Slow data transfer rates

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Fireball

Extremely Slow data transfer rates

Post by Fireball »

Hey guys!

Quick question :

I recently Overclocked my PC (see my sig below)
The problem is, my transfer rates are becoming ludacrisly slow. Earlier today, I tried writing 3.5 GB to a DVD. Where it usually took about 15 min, it took over an hour! :evil:
That, and when I try copying data from one drive to another, or even just on the same drive, my PC slows down to the point of stalling. My mouse lags, my screen lags, hell, even my sound lags!

It was never this way, I don't understand what the problem could be. I haven't installed any new hardware, or software for that matter.
The funny thing is, I'm not struggling to play any of my usual games (like COD 5). They all perform at their usual FPS. It's only when I actually need to physically transfer data that my PC slows down like this. Oh, and my start-up is unusually slow, even after a full registry scan and disabling any unwanted start-up programs.

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys! Untill next time

-Fireball out
When I was a small kid, we had quicksand in our sandbox. I was an only child...eventually.
  • Intel Core2Duo E2160 (1.80 GHz) @ 3.00 GHz (on Standard Air Cooling)
  • Asus P5K Mobo
  • 2 Gig Kingston 800 MHz RAM
  • Calibre Sparkle 8500GT (512mb DDR2) (Core = 420MHz @ 760 MHz, Mem = 300 MHz @ 410MHz)
  • 250 Gig SATAII HDD
  • Samsung 2253GW 22" LCD Monitor (1680 x 1050, 10000:1, 2ms)
Frozenfireside

Re: Extremely Slow data transfer rates

Post by Frozenfireside »

Ok there might be a few things.

Your CPU might be overheating and this would throttle the system back,thus causing a slow down of the system.
Turn off throttle in the BIOS and C1Executive bit. there are one or two other things to turn off but I can't think of them and these are the main culprits.

Then we need to look at the card-try reduce the RAM timings of the card and see if that helps although I think the issue lies in the motherboard.

Run memtest and see if your RAM is 100s.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Mow

Post by Mow »

Yea dude somethings dodge there ? check as above please and also let us know what Antivirus , OS and burning software you are using.

Might be that your drive is giving problems . But check mem first. And make sure your Antivirus is not running a scan.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Hey Guys. After much research and painstakingly sifting through my PC settings, I found the source of my frustration. There was nothing wrong with the drive, it was (shockingly! :roll: ) thanks to Windows. Turns out if you get a few CRC error messages, it changes your DMA settings to the older PIO mode. All that was needed was to go to Device Manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and uninstall all my channels. After a reboot, windows detected them again and changed my settings to UDMA 5. Now everything is sorted! I can listen to music while I burn discs, heck, I can play Crysis while doing it!

Joy!
When I was a small kid, we had quicksand in our sandbox. I was an only child...eventually.
  • Intel Core2Duo E2160 (1.80 GHz) @ 3.00 GHz (on Standard Air Cooling)
  • Asus P5K Mobo
  • 2 Gig Kingston 800 MHz RAM
  • Calibre Sparkle 8500GT (512mb DDR2) (Core = 420MHz @ 760 MHz, Mem = 300 MHz @ 410MHz)
  • 250 Gig SATAII HDD
  • Samsung 2253GW 22" LCD Monitor (1680 x 1050, 10000:1, 2ms)