WinDVD9

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Ihsahn

WinDVD9

Post by Ihsahn »

Hi to all I recently installed Ubuntu on my machine and I must say what a pleasure. Question is How do I install Windvd9 on it?
Who knows more about electricity than the Amish?
shiv

Re: WinDVD9

Post by shiv »

Ihsahn wrote:Hi to all I recently installed Ubuntu on my machine and I must say what a pleasure. Question is How do I install Windvd9 on it?
WinDVD is a Windows program.
Try Wine, it allows you to run Windows programs on Linux (well it tries to).
http://www.winehq.org/
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

shiv wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:Hi to all I recently installed Ubuntu on my machine and I must say what a pleasure. Question is How do I install Windvd9 on it?
Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit worried using wine, specifically due to performance issues.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Ihsahn wrote:
shiv wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit worried using wine, specifically due to performance issues.
Well you're using *nix, so don't complain!! :mrgreen:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

DeVeDe - DVD Authoring

you can grab it through synaptic, (preferable), or

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install devede
Authoring Guide

don't worry too much about wine... speed impact is generally not noticeable or non-existent... as long as the app is supported :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

rustypup wrote:DeVeDe - DVD Authoring

you can grab it through synaptic, (preferable), or

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install devede
Authoring Guide

don't worry too much about wine... speed impact is generally not noticeable or non-existent... as long as the app is supported :lol:
Thanks.... but is there a way to get WinDVD9 to go reason being its got the "all to HD" function which I cant live without.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Ah, HD.
Just use Windows mate!!!! :lol:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

devede pushes HD under divx...

you can try installing under wine, but i see no support in AppDB...

@shiv: you imagine *nix doesn't support HD? :? you are aware, of course, of the HD clamping on vista... right?
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:devede pushes HD under divx...

you can try installing under wine, but i see no support in AppDB...

@shiv: you imagine *nix doesn't support HD? :? you are aware, of course, of the HD clamping on vista... right?
I never implied that - HD can work on any OS, as long as there is support.
Yes I know of those anti piracy measures in vista, and the constant hardware polling.

BUT:
Windows has the edge in HD - there's plenty of support.
Wanna do anything with HD - just use Windows, lol.
And I'm sure you have heard of AnyDVD HD...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

shiv wrote:Windows has the edge in HD - there's plenty of support.
far more support for true HD in linux... window's clamps the output...
shiv wrote:Wanna do anything with HD - just use Windows, lol.
yeah.. lol.. like.. lol... because.. lol... :| - is this the level of your argument?... something informative might have been far more preferable.. better yet, something vaguely helpful or OT...
shiv wrote:And I'm sure you have heard of AnyDVD HD...
i've also read up on the forum rules about promoting piracy...

lol..

what is it with windows users and their incessant regurgitation of MS marketing fallacies?...
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:
yeah.. lol.. like.. lol... because.. lol... :| - is this the level of your argument?... something informative might have been far more preferable.. better yet, something vaguely helpful or OT...

lol..

what is it with windows users and their incessant regurgitation of MS marketing fallacies?...
-The fact that Windows clamps the output doesn't seem to have stopped anyone from what I've read.

-Windows has more support from software developers.

-I never implied anything about piracy - just pointing out what a useful app it is and the fact that nobody cares to write something similar for *nix.

-I'm just pointing out that Windows rules - cos of support.
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

Lol shiv you dont want to get into an argument with rusty 90% chance that your life will never be the same again.
@Rusty ill give wine a go tonight, if i could get this to work id be a happy little camper, only player i know of that
takes SD and upscales to HD while watching a movie results are very very nocible.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Ihsahn wrote:Lol shiv you dont want to get into an argument with rusty 90% chance that your life will never be the same again.
@Rusty ill give wine a go tonight, if i could get this to work id be a happy little camper, only player i know of that
takes SD and upscales to HD while watching a movie results are very very nocible.
It's fun arguing with rustypup, lol :mrgreen:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

shiv wrote:
rustypup wrote:

lol..

-The fact that Windows clamps the output doesn't seem to have stopped anyone from what I've read.

-Windows has more support from software developers.

-I never implied anything about piracy - just pointing out what a useful app it is and the fact that nobody cares to write something similar for *nix.

-I'm just pointing out that Windows rules - cos of support.
Bold = BS
Bold + Italics = Self PWNage
I completely agree with rusty on this one

@shiv: Debating about Linux vs Windows is awesome, when its intelligent. Not just - Windows rulz bruuuu, or Linux rulz bruuuuu. DUMB

The last 3 bolds I highlighted in your posts are complete BS. "From what you've read".... right... so you havnt really tried it have you?
Here's a classic example:

Me: Dude, the sky is actually black
You: Holy moly... really?!
*Days later*
You: Hey dude, the skies actually black *insert hours of mindless debating*
Your friend: Where you hear that crap from?
You: I read it

Windows has more support for software devs.....
Do you even have a faint idea of how many people where involved in the release Debian Lenny? Thats ONE distro if you wondering. Go Google it
Application wise yes, people prefer to make apps for Windows. Why? Because majority of PC users have Windows running

Im not commenting on that point
:roll:
Nuff said

Anymore self PWNage you wanna get going? I can go for ages
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

g0ldback, little bit off topic, but which distro you using now? You have pidgin/debian tutorial in your sig but you used to use Ubuntu?
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
shiv

Post by shiv »

g0ldback wrote: Bold = BS
Bold + Italics = Self PWNage
I completely agree with rusty on this one

@shiv: Debating about Linux vs Windows is awesome, when its intelligent. Not just - Windows rulz bruuuu, or Linux rulz bruuuuu. DUMB

The last 3 bolds I highlighted in your posts are complete BS. "From what you've read".... right... so you havnt really tried it have you?
Here's a classic example:

Me: Dude, the sky is actually black
You: Holy moly... really?!
*Days later*
You: Hey dude, the skies actually black *insert hours of mindless debating*
Your friend: Where you hear that **** from?
You: I read it

Windows has more support for software devs.....
Do you even have a faint idea of how many people where involved in the release Debian Lenny? Thats ONE distro if you wondering. Go Google it
Application wise yes, people prefer to make apps for Windows. Why? Because majority of PC users have Windows running

Im not commenting on that point
:roll:
Nuff said

Anymore self PWNage you wanna get going? I can go for ages
Let the mindless arguments roll on, lol. :mrgreen:
I never bashed *nix, was just pointing to Windows.

When it comes to writing REAL software, that is, software that works and is easy to use, Windows has the advantage here.
I have used quite a lot of *nix software, but most are cumbersome to use.
When I say Windows has more support, I mean that developers actually write usable software that doesn't require typing in commands or parameters.
You would think that *nix developers would stop being so geeky and focus on the UI and ease of use.
Tell me I'm wrong here!

As for "what I've read", visit the Slysoft forums - Vista's "clamping" seems to have no effect whatsoever.
Whether I'm talking about software that promotes piracy is not the point.
AnyDVD HD, for example, is a great program.
And so is PowerDVD and WinDVD.
All written for Windows only.

Once again, I am not bashing *nix, I am just pointing to Windows.
I'm not much into HD, but I know people who are, and they have had no problems with Windows, even Vista and 7.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

shiv wrote:When it comes to writing REAL software, that is, software that works and is easy to use, Windows has the advantage here.
I have used quite a lot of *nix software, but most are cumbersome to use.
When I say Windows has more support, I mean that developers actually write usable software that doesn't require typing in commands or parameters.
You would think that *nix developers would stop being so geeky and focus on the UI and ease of use.
Tell me I'm wrong here!
You're wrong.

There are a lot of apps that are written for linux and end up being ported over to windows because of the ease of use or lack of a similar program. In the past, yes, linux has required parameters to be parsed to the application via terminal/command line. Although that is quickly changing as more users are changing to linux after using windows for years, sometimes decades.
mybrute
myminicity

ImageImage
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:You're wrong.
No YOU!
Vampyre_2099 wrote:There are a lot of apps that are written for linux and end up being ported over to windows because of the ease of use or lack of a similar program.
Right... thats why Linux has software specifically for running Windows apps on Linux.... right? Because Linux has all the apps Windows needs.... right?
Vampyre_2099 wrote:more users are changing to linux after using windows for years, sometimes decades.
Prove to me more long-time Windows user are moving to Linux. Show me studies, stats, make up some graphs in open Office or something.
Because last time I checked, while the *nix user base is growing, the Windows user base is growing faster.
shiv

Post by shiv »

jamin_za wrote:
Vampyre_2099 wrote:You're wrong.
No YOU!
Vampyre_2099 wrote:There are a lot of apps that are written for linux and end up being ported over to windows because of the ease of use or lack of a similar program.
Right... thats why Linux has software specifically for running Windows apps on Linux.... right? Because Linux has all the apps Windows needs.... right?
Vampyre_2099 wrote:more users are changing to linux after using windows for years, sometimes decades.
Prove to me more long-time Windows user are moving to Linux. Show me studies, stats, make up some graphs in open Office or something.
Because last time I checked, while the *nix user base is growing, the Windows user base is growing faster.
Thanks Jamin!!!
What do you agree/disagree with what I have posted so far?
Your views would be great.
Thanks!
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

jamin_za wrote:No YOU!
He asked me to say he's wrong, so I did
jamin_za wrote:Right... thats why Linux has software specifically for running Windows apps on Linux.... right? Because Linux has all the apps Windows needs.... right?
Just because Windows has a larger user base, thus more apps developed for it doesn't mean Linux distros can't take advantage of it. Windows doesn't need this as most of the apps made to run on linux end up being open source, thus they can be ported to windows easier without the end user ever knowing that they once were linux only apps.
jamin_za wrote:Prove to me more long-time Windows user are moving to Linux. Show me studies, stats, make up some graphs in open Office or something.
http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/ ... ession.htm
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10198869-16.html
I'm not denying that the windows user base is growing faster, hell, it will probably continue to do so for the next decade or even longer. But whether you like it or not the unix/linux user base has started to grow, mainly with help from the global recession.

But once again I see this turning into a Windows vs Linux battle, I use linux and I proudly do so. to me shiv seems to come across as one of the windows fan bois... "Narf, W!ndow$ are the bestest 1337357 system evar. blargh"
mybrute
myminicity

ImageImage
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:g0ldback, little bit off topic, but which distro you using now? You have pidgin/debian tutorial in your sig but you used to use Ubuntu?
No worries dude, the topic of this thread is WinDVD9 and its turned into a Linux vs. Windows debate again :lol:
Im using Debian Lenny, have been ever since it got realesed as unstable - ran a dist-upgrade the day Lenny went to stable :mrgreen:

I agree with your last post too. Its gonna turn into a pointless "My OS is better than yours" thread. Personally, I dont even care anymore. I use XP at work, thats how I learnt to do what I do.... I want to move over to Nix but I gotta get used to doing work based things on here first. And no, it doesnt depress me or make me feel no0b that Im using XP

Go search for all posts by shiv, I bet 99% of them are random trolls about "Yaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggg, Windows is teh rulz maaaaaaan. I iz teh 1337ness coz Weesta is ORSM. Linux sux unts unts" posts
BORING
shiv

Post by shiv »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:
jamin_za wrote:No YOU!
He asked me to say he's wrong, so I did
jamin_za wrote:Right... thats why Linux has software specifically for running Windows apps on Linux.... right? Because Linux has all the apps Windows needs.... right?
Just because Windows has a larger user base, thus more apps developed for it doesn't mean Linux distros can't take advantage of it. Windows doesn't need this as most of the apps made to run on linux end up being open source, thus they can be ported to windows easier without the end user ever knowing that they once were linux only apps.
jamin_za wrote:Prove to me more long-time Windows user are moving to Linux. Show me studies, stats, make up some graphs in open Office or something.
http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/ ... ession.htm
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10198869-16.html
I'm not denying that the windows user base is growing faster, hell, it will probably continue to do so for the next decade or even longer. But whether you like it or not the unix/linux user base has started to grow, mainly with help from the global recession.

But once again I see this turning into a Windows vs Linux battle, I use linux and I proudly do so. to me shiv seems to come across as one of the windows fan bois... "Narf, W!ndow$ are the bestest 1337357 system evar. blargh"
If I was a Windows fan boi, I would be cursing and dissing *nix - I am not.
I am just pointing out that Windows has the edge in this case.
I've tried some multimedia based *nix distros - good but not better than what I have set up in Windows.
Installing drivers and software, and using the software is a piece of cake.

Anyway back to work...
shiv

Post by shiv »

g0ldback wrote:
Vampyre_2099 wrote:g0ldback, little bit off topic, but which distro you using now? You have pidgin/debian tutorial in your sig but you used to use Ubuntu?
No worries dude, the topic of this thread is WinDVD9 and its turned into a Linux vs. Windows debate again :lol:
Im using Debian Lenny, have been ever since it got realesed as unstable - ran a dist-upgrade the day Lenny went to stable :mrgreen:

I agree with your last post too. Its gonna turn into a pointless "My OS is better than yours" thread. Personally, I dont even care anymore. I use XP at work, thats how I learnt to do what I do.... I want to move over to Nix but I gotta get used to doing work based things on here first. And no, it doesnt depress me or make me feel no0b that Im using XP

Go search for all posts by shiv, I bet 99% of them are random trolls about "Yaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggg, Windows is teh rulz maaaaaaan. I iz teh 1337ness coz Weesta is ORSM. Linux sux unts unts" posts
BORING
I was just advising to go back to Windows.
No need to break your back and spend countless days trying to get something to work the way it should be.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:nix/linux user base has started to grow, mainly with help from the global recession
Wow, free software is more popular than pay software during recessions. Quite the newsflash there :lol:
So the growth is due to financial necessity rather than user preference.... not quite the slam-dunk win then.
Vampyre_2099 wrote:I use linux and I proudly do so.
I use Windows - I would not say proudly. Why would anyone be proud of the OS they use.
Linus Torvalds can use Linux proudly. You should not.

But if you want a multimedia setup or you want to do video encoding, processing or authoring, you have got 2 choices - Windows or Mac. Which means you have only one choice... Windows.

Sorry Linux, you aren't there yet. If I want to host websites and web-apps, I'll give you a shout.