need to update a view

Get help on databases - MySQL, Oracle, Access, etc.
CesarePlay

need to update a view

Post by CesarePlay »

I need help updating a view. I got the first part right but the second part I not sure how to do.

The column I entered has data but this data comes from another table which stores the employees names.

The code is

Code: Select all

SELECT     dbo.AREA2.TITLE AS BU, dbo.AREA3.TITLE AS DEPT, dbo.AREA4.TITLE AS [Mine Section], dbo.AREA5.TITLE AS AOR, 
                      dbo._VFL_Observations.TITLE AS [VFL No], dbo._VFL_Observations.VFL_Description, dbo._VFL_Observations.PERFORMEDBY, 
                      dbo._VFL_Observations.OBSDATE, dbo._VFL_Observations.SAFETY, dbo._VFL_Observations.HEALTH, dbo._VFL_Observations.ENVIRONMENT, 
                      dbo._VFL_Observations.COMMUNITY, dbo._VFL_Observations.COMPLETED
FROM         dbo._VFL_Observations INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA5 ON dbo._VFL_Observations.AREA = dbo.AREA5.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA4 ON dbo.AREA5.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA4.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA3 ON dbo.AREA4.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA3.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA2 ON dbo.AREA3.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA2.ID
WHERE     (dbo.AREA2.REC_COUNT = 0) AND (dbo.AREA3.REC_COUNT = 0) AND (dbo.AREA4.REC_COUNT = 0) AND (dbo.AREA5.REC_COUNT = 0)
I added dbo._VFL_Observations.PERFORMEDBY . This column needs to get data from the _Employees table linking by the EMP_ID field.

I need help for this.

I tried to use Google but google will not open.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: need to update a view

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

SELECT     dbo.AREA2.TITLE AS BU, dbo.AREA3.TITLE AS DEPT, dbo.AREA4.TITLE AS [Mine Section], dbo.AREA5.TITLE AS AOR, 
                      dbo._VFL_Observations.TITLE AS [VFL No], dbo._VFL_Observations.VFL_Description, dbo._VFL_Observations.PERFORMEDBY, 
                      dbo._VFL_Observations.OBSDATE, dbo._VFL_Observations.SAFETY, dbo._VFL_Observations.HEALTH, dbo._VFL_Observations.ENVIRONMENT, 
                      dbo._VFL_Observations.COMMUNITY, dbo._VFL_Observations.COMPLETED, dbo._VFL_Employees.*
FROM         dbo._VFL_Observations INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA5 ON dbo._VFL_Observations.AREA = dbo.AREA5.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA4 ON dbo.AREA5.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA4.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA3 ON dbo.AREA4.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA3.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA2 ON dbo.AREA3.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA2.ID LEFT INNER JOIN
                      dbo._VFL_Employees ON dbo._VFL_Observations = dbo._VFL_Employees.EMP_ID
WHERE     (dbo.AREA2.REC_COUNT = 0) AND (dbo.AREA3.REC_COUNT = 0) AND (dbo.AREA4.REC_COUNT = 0) AND (dbo.AREA5.REC_COUNT = 0)
Also as a rule of thumb you can get more speed out of it by doing the below.

dbo._VFL_Observations.COMMUNITY, dbo._VFL_Observations.COMPLETED, dbo._VFL_Employees.*
FROM         dbo._VFL_Observations WITH (NOLOCK) INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA5 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo._VFL_Observations.AREA = dbo.AREA5.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA4 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo.AREA5.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA4.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA3 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo.AREA4.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA3.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA2 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo.AREA3.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA2.ID LEFT INNER JOIN
                      dbo._VFL_Employees WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo._VFL_Observations = dbo._VFL_Employees.EMP_ID
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Ok. I can do that but what about getting the inner join for the employees table to work? All it gives at the moment is numbers but I need the names to appear.

Edit: Did not see new code. Will try it first.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Use the second query I posted and run it. You should find the name of your employee towards the end of the output cols.
RuadRauFlessa wrote:

FROM         dbo._VFL_Observations WITH (NOLOCK) INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA5 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo._VFL_Observations.AREA = dbo.AREA5.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA4 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo.AREA5.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA4.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA3 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo.AREA4.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA3.ID INNER JOIN
                      dbo.AREA2 WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo.AREA3.AREA_PARENT = dbo.AREA2.ID LEFT INNER JOIN
                      dbo._VFL_Employees WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo._VFL_Observations = dbo._VFL_Employees.EMP_ID
Note the

dbo._VFL_Employees.*
in the select and the

LEFT INNER JOIN dbo._VFL_Employees WITH (NOLOCK) ON dbo._VFL_Observations = dbo._VFL_Employees.EMP_ID
in the from section. This should cover your bases. You should however replace

dbo._VFL_Employees.*
With only the cols you need.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Ok Thanks. I had to change left inner join to inner join because left inner join did not want to work.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ There is no such thing as a left inner join.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Arrrrrg sorry. But does the rest work for you?
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Arrrrrg sorry. But does the rest work for you?

Yes. It works fine thanks.I now must check that the data is correct.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Ron2K wrote:^^ There is no such thing as a left inner join.
Oh come on. I was in the middle of writing another query that uses outers so please don't mind the peanut gallery.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Ok.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Ron2K wrote:^^ There is no such thing as a left inner join.
Oh come on. I was in the middle of writing another query that uses outers so please don't mind the peanut gallery.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a disturbing tendency to get my left outer joins and right outer joins mixed up, so don't worry. :lol:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hey where is your ave? Oh wait mine is also still missing.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Hey where is your ave? Oh wait mine is also still missing.
Still trying to get them from the old server - there are 97 uploaded avatars that I can't access; FTP client returns code 550 with the message "permission denied". The old web host has so far failed to even acknowledge the problem, let alone fix it so that I can get those avvies off the old server and on to our new one (and you wonder why we moved?). :violent1:

And now I suppose I'd better stop derailing this thread. :P
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

For anyone interested I had to modify the top piece of the code to have the employees names show as well.

The code is now:

dbo._VFL_Observations.TITLE AS [VFL No], dbo._VFL_Observations.VFL_Description,  dbo._VFL_Observations.PERFORMEDBY + ' ' + dbo._EMPLOYEES.EMP_NAME + ' 

' + dbo._EMPLOYEES.EMP_SURNAME AS [Performed By], ,
This is the new part I had to add in:

dbo._VFL_Observations.PERFORMEDBY + ' ' + dbo._EMPLOYEES.EMP_NAME + ' 

' + dbo._EMPLOYEES.EMP_SURNAME AS [Performed By], 
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

CesarePlay wrote:This is the new part I had to add in:

For future reference, it's almost always better to keep those as separate fields - let your application code perform the concatenation.
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Ron2K wrote:
CesarePlay wrote:This is the new part I had to add in:

For future reference, it's almost always better to keep those as separate fields - let your application code perform the concatenation.

Ok. I will bear that in mind. Is it possible to use application code on a dataviewer? This whole piece is only in sql not in vb.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

CesarePlay wrote:
Ron2K wrote: For future reference, it's almost always better to keep those as separate fields - let your application code perform the concatenation.

Ok. I will bear that in mind. Is it possible to use application code on a dataviewer? This whole piece is only in sql not in vb.
He did say almost always.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932