intel celeron vs intel pentium

Any hardware related topics go here.
geraldhum

intel celeron vs intel pentium

Post by geraldhum »

Hi Guys

I cant afford to upgrade my pc at the moment. I have a 1.8ghz intel pentium processor installed.
I found another processor but an intel celeron 2.4ghz. Will the celeron be better or should i just leave the 1.8 in. I have about R400 if i can find a better processor second hand some where.
Frozenfireside

Re: intel celeron vs intel pentium

Post by Frozenfireside »

Don't even consider a billion ghz Celeron. Celerons are retarded Pentium 2s.
I would look at what Pentium it is but I'm sure it's a more modernised Pentium with better processing power then a Celeron. Not too sure tho.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

yeah, no matter what celron it is, it will suk! the reason being, is that celerons have like 512k L2 cache, compared to the P4's 2meg L2...on the old P4 and the el cheapo have a minimum of 1meg L2. so just on that, the basics, no matter what the fsb is on a celeron, it would never come close to out performing a Pentium 4. of course their are alot of other aspects, but at the end, the celeron will suk. i rate, go for a entry level Core2Duo. i'm sure there is someone out there willing to part with a 2 series C2D..those will probably be around 400, even less.

but at the end of the day, i rate save some cash and do some research and build a new system that your proud of. ! :)
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

thanks for the replys. I managed to get a Pentium 2.8. Yea i am going build up a gaming pc the end of march. I also bought flight simulator deluxe and fear 2 on Saturday. cant wait to get those games playable
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

np :) .. yeah, that should help quite a bit :) have u got anything in mibd for the new gaming rig?
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

Yea my new gaming rig:) thinking of an asus or gigabyte board with 2 or 3 * pci e 16 that supports sli. Dual core processor not sure what speed. and graphics. Thinking of nvidia reason been for the sli ready motherboard. 3gb of ram because it will be a waist to put in 4gb if XP doesn't pick the xtra gig up. Not going into Vista.
Nvidia card i have a budget of about R2000.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

I just hope with my 2.8g processor i can at least play fear 2 because at the moment i have a geforce nvidea 6800XT
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

not bad, u can pick up a decent gfx card for that price, all the peeps are selling their 8800gt for less than 1500 ... and that has been a good card for along time :) ..besides, u might be able to wangle 2 800gt cards for like 2200 if u can, and that should be pretty damn awesome for the next money saving term.. :) :) yeah, agreed 3 gb for xp is good....but hang on..win7 will be good at the end of the year ( maybe) ...i would say, go for 1066mhz ram, cuz i could see a performance increase from 800mhz. ... the most importnant thing for me when it comes to a gaming rig is that one should spend alot more on the gfx than anything else.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

I cant wait hey
DreamStar

Post by DreamStar »

chowzen wrote:not bad, u can pick up a decent gfx card for that price, all the peeps are selling their 8800gt for less than 1500 ... and that has been a good card for along time :) ..besides, u might be able to wangle 2 800gt cards for like 2200 if u can, and that should be pretty damn awesome for the next money saving term.. :) :) yeah, agreed 3 gb for xp is good....but hang on..win7 will be good at the end of the year ( maybe) ...i would say, go for 1066mhz ram, cuz i could see a performance increase from 800mhz. ... the most importnant thing for me when it comes to a gaming rig is that one should spend alot more on the gfx than anything else.
but a good mobo is a great investment bcos you will hardly upgrade that!
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

lol, 25 days revisit dream, i agree to an extent, good brand, solid engineering, but at the end if your never gonna oc, thn why pay 4k for it? bragging rights?? i doubt it.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I just saw RAM 1gig DDR2-800 @ R130 ex vat. OMFG lol.
1gig DDR400 is R800 ex vat.

Shows you what you can get for your money with new tech.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(