setting up a proxy server"help"

Network problem solving and tweaks
geraldhum

setting up a proxy server"help"

Post by geraldhum »

Hi Guys

Our company is with iburst at a 3gb cap. Normally we get capped around the 20th of each month.

At the moment our network is setup like this.

All our staff computers are connected directly to a hub and obviously the iburst modem is also connected the the hub with no server involved. I have another pc here in would like to setup as a proxy server to block certain downloads and specially internet radio.

I have two network cards installed in this new proxy server i would like. Is there an easy free proxy software i can download and how will it be setup hardware and software wise.

Will all our staffs pc's get connected to the hub and the hub connected to one of the network cards, and the iburst get connected to the other network card.

Regards
Gerald
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: setting up a proxy server"help"

Post by Ron2K »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :D

You may find IPCOP useful - I do remember a thread where another option was mentioned, but I can't seem to find it.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

Thanks man. ill have a look at it:)
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Also try Squid. Made a guide to squid and posted it on my website(if you can call it a website) http://randomnetworking.site90.net. Its mainly focused on caching but if you want to block stuff I'll help with configs for that too. Also try to combine it with Bind to make you browsing faster.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Hello.

Just so you know you dont need 2 network cards, a web proxy is not a firewall.

You point the browser to the proxy and the proxy fetches pages for your browser based a allow and dis allow ACL's (Access list)

:wink:

Nuke your guides a pretty manual, looking at squid.conf for the first time is scary.

Instead geraldhum you could just download a ready made system like IP cop or Endian firewall community (My preference)

Once you are done dont forget to modify the windows registry to remove editing of the proxy settings in IE, not sure if you can with FF though,
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

looking at squid.conf for the first time is scary.
True, but once you realize you don't need to bother with 90% of it its far better.

I would put in 2x network cards and put the proxy inline just before the ADSL router, even if modify the registry someone will find a way to change it of bring in their own laptop or whatever. If the proxy is transparent they can't do that. Then you can also use it to block all ports except 25(tcp), 53(tcp+udp), 80(tcp), 110(tcp),443(tcp).