Google announces Google Sync

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
DAE_JA_VOO

Google announces Google Sync

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I opened up my RSS feed reader to find a new post on the Google Mobile blog. Have a look at this:

If you're too lazy to read, cut to the bottom.
One of the hardest parts about switching phones is getting your address book and calendar to your new device. We're making that process a little easier by releasing a beta version of Google Sync for the iPhone and Windows Mobile phones as well as a contacts-only version for phones that support SyncML.

For iPhone and Windows Mobile devices, Google Sync allows you to get your Gmail Contacts and Google Calendar events to your phone. Once you set up Sync on your phone, it will automatically begin synchronizing your address book and calendar in the background, over-the-air, so you can attend to other tasks. Sync uses push technology so any changes or additions to your calendar or contacts are reflected on your device in minutes. The connection is always on so you don't have to manually sync your phone after Sync has been set up. This means that when your colleague changes the time of the TPS report cover sheets meeting, you'll know about it right away.

Since Sync is a two-way service, you can make changes on your phone or in your Google Account. Your calendar and contacts are always up-to-date, no matter where you are or what you're doing. Also, since your data is automatically backed up to your Google Account, it's securely stored even if you lose your phone.

For devices that support the open SyncML protocol, Google Sync will allow for two-way contacts synchronization. If you're a BlackBerry user, a version of Google Sync is already available.
Source

In a nutshell, it syncs your contacts and calendar on your phone with that on your google account. It also uses push technology, so it's almost instantly on your device.

I tested this out, and it works beautifully. I must admit, the first sync took a while (10 minutes). Strangely, it only used about 200KB. If i add something to my google calendar, it's on my phone within a couple of minutes.

Here's a link to getting it set up on WinMo.

Man, I think I'm in love with Google...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Kasyx

Re: Google announces Google Sync

Post by Kasyx »

Awesome.

I have made use of Google Browser Sync in the past, which syncs your browser's bookmarks, history, cookies and so on if you make use of more than one PC. However I think it was canned :(

This is awesome. Goodbye, Microsoft Outlook.
Mow

Post by Mow »

God a want an android phone. :blob5:
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I've been using something that does this for a while now, very useful.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

While it sounds awesome and stuff, I can't get it to work on my phone :?

I have a Nokia 6600 (the old one, S60).

I followed the instructions, and when I press 'Syncronise' is says the server isn't responding...
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI