GPS Receivers

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
WAJeff

GPS Receivers

Post by WAJeff »

Hey guys,

So I finally got TomTom software and SA maps ported onto my HTC. Now I wanna know, Its kinda retarded to buy a GPS when my phone has all the functionality, just cant search for satellites. Would I be able to buy a normal GPS receiver and use that to grab the GPS satellites, pair it with my phone and use the maps that I have installed on my phone

SykomantiS

Re: GPS Receivers

Post by SykomantiS »

Theoretically, yes. There is a Nokia phone that can do this, so I don't see why your HTC can't. Just don't ask me what or where to buy, maybe someone else can help you with that.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

SykomantiS wrote:Theoretically, yes. There is a Nokia phone that can do this, so I don't see why your HTC can't. Just don't ask me what or where to buy, maybe someone else can help you with that.
Where can I buy em? :wink: Dont worry dude, I got that sorted
Its purely a Bluetooth connection to and from my phone, and then the receiver would connect to satelittes. So theoretically, it should works 100s

Anyone else got any advise or that has actually paired the two devices up? Maybe UrBaN? Dunno if your uber HTC has a GPS built in already...
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

g0ldback wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:Theoretically, yes. There is a Nokia phone that can do this, so I don't see why your HTC can't. Just don't ask me what or where to buy, maybe someone else can help you with that.
Where can I buy em? :wink: Dont worry dude, I got that sorted
Its purely a Bluetooth connection to and from my phone, and then the receiver would connect to satelittes. So theoretically, it should works 100s

Anyone else got any advise or that has actually paired the two devices up? Maybe UrBaN? Dunno if your uber HTC has a GPS built in already...
Mine does have a fully built-in GPS but I am using Leaf Locate (which is useless) and so haven't really gotten much use out of the GPS.

I know that for R1k you can buy Garmin Maps GPS software, and that will work indefinitely, though I'm not sure if it will work on YOUR HTC. I know it works on the TyTn 2 though.
to ápeiro anima
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

UrBaN wrote:Mine does have a fully built-in GPS but I am using Leaf Locate (which is useless) and so haven't really gotten much use out of the GPS.

I know that for R1k you can buy Garmin Maps GPS software, and that will work indefinitely, though I'm not sure if it will work on YOUR HTC. I know it works on the TyTn 2 though.
I also tried Leaf Locate, and its crap... hence the normal GPS software. I've got it all going on my phone. Maps plus software I just need to pair it with a receiver of sorts so it can pull satelittes
I've seen a Gigabyte GPS receiver on Sybaritic for R750 or something, maybe I should just buy it and see if I can pair it... if not, anyone wanna buy it? :lol:

Thanks for the reply pal
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Dude why screw around with additional hardware, why not just use the Garmin Maps software? Can't your phone use satellites?

What I mean is...is it a hardware or software limitation?

'Cos If you buy the Garmin Maps software, it'll work forever and ever and ever....

I don't know though, I know the TyTn II will work without an additional GPS Receiver (though it can use it), maybe your phone can too?

Excuse the grammar, I'm moeg...
to ápeiro anima
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

UrBaN, Dude, read teh first friggin post :smack: :lol: All the software is ported onto my phone, its working 100s, just cant pick up satellites. My phone doesnt have GPS support, hence I need something that would pick up satellites - which would be the GPS receiver

Im running TomTom software and maps on my phone, also posted on their forums so I'll see what they say. But I really dont see how it wouldnt work... unless theres a software incompatibility somewhere along the lines
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

My brother gave me a Bluetooth GPS receiver. It's awesome. It just the receiver that communicates with the satellites and then obviously connects to your phone with TomTom software on via bluetooth. It cost him 20 pounds (under R300)

Closest I could find on a quick google search is this: http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/6783318/ ... annel.html for R550 so check for something along those lines. But honestly If you don't find something cheaper I don't think it's worth going for anything above R500 when GPS's are going for under a grand. :wink:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I didn't rea;ise your phone was a n00bcake, my bad. In that case let me know how the receiver works, as mine can have a receiver plug into it too...

Sweet.
to ápeiro anima
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

UrBaN wrote:I didn't realise your phone was a n00bcake
L0L

Yeah my mate has this BT GPS receiver. Used it travelling down to the cape. Damn useful until you realise how fast your battery on your cell drops.

I was going to get this for my phone (A Lovely Nokia E61) however if I get my job I'll buy a separate stand-alone GPS unit.

No jokes-GET A CIGGIE CELLPHONE CHARGER.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Just to let you guys know, I ordered myself a GPS receiver. I should be getting it on Monday, so fingers crossed I can use it
markman

Post by markman »

g0ldback wrote:Just to let you guys know, I ordered myself a GPS receiver. I should be getting it on Monday, so fingers crossed I can use it
I'll give you feefty rond for it. :oops: 8)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

wo0t!!! Its working
All I had to do was pair my phone, setup the correct COM port and BOOM - its working :mrgreen:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Where did you buy it from and for how much? I'm considering getting one as well. (Phone and EEE)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

WiK1d wrote:Where did you buy it from and for how much? I'm considering getting one as well. (Phone and EEE)
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/produc ... s_id=13043

Works 100s dude. Apparently you can hook it up to your PC too and plot routes or whatever through there :D Awesome little thing