LED strip creation

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

LED strip creation

Post by maxxis »

Hi guys. I need a little help with the right resistors etc to fabricate a panel containing about 10 LEDs.

The strip is to be used in a car for audio install enhancement and will run of the the 12V supply in the car

Any recommendations? I havn't worked with electronics in about 12 years but I can still solder :D
Samaya

Re: LED strip creation

Post by Samaya »

You will need a 220Ohm 1/2Watt resistor per LED, placing all the led's in parallel. I worked it out for a 3.3V drop and 40mA current supply per LED. :mrgreen:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

So I will get the following then :D

10 x 220 Ohm 1/2Watt resistor
10 x Hyper Bright LEDs

Thanks man. That really helps a lot. Thank goodness I remember my electronics a little to know what parallel is :D
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

What would you suggest then?
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Thanks for the link Wik. Looks like a 220 Ohm is correct according to the calculator.
Prime

Post by Prime »

if you are still in doubt, you can always ask the electronics supply place where you buy your LED's. :wink:
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

-Prometheus- wrote:2200 doesn't sound right, and neither does 220. 1/2 watt is just unnecessarily large. Since you are using nonstandard LEDs you will have to look up the forward voltage drop and the optimal current.
What doesn't sound right? Rled = (Vcc - Vled drop)/Iled? Or what about P = V*I? If these do not sound right then you will have to talk to a gentleman going by the surname of Ohm...

@ Maxxis: Just ask the guys you are buying the LED's from what the voltage drop is for the LED's. You can then substitute the Vdrop of the led into the formula above and calculate the resistor value. If you need more help just PM me
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Will do thanks man :D
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

With Regards to this

I used the link Wik posted above, but I have a few questions...

The LEDs I want to use in an LED strip have the following specs:
LED Write-up wrote: Specifications:-
Intensity: 160 - 250mcd
Wavelength: 405 - 410nm
Forward voltage at IF = 20mA: 3.3V
Power dissipation: 100mW
Viewing angle: 30°
Forward Voltage: 3.0 V (10mA) - 3.6 V (35mA)
I'm a little confused by the two bold statements.

Why are there differing forward voltage and current ratings? This obviously determines which resistors I should use, so I'm now not sure what to buy.

Suggestions please guys?
to ápeiro anima
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Use this: 3.6 V (35mA)
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

The more current you are drawing for this LED you are using, the brighter it will be. If you use a white LED and draw too much current it will start to give off a blueish tint. At this point you HAVE to switch off unless you want to reduce the life of the LED by significant amounts... :wink: :mrgreen:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

They are UV LEDs. Samay, can you please check the link I posted above and check if my design is correct? My electronics know-how is dangerous :oops:
to ápeiro anima
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

The safest way to power the LED's in your strip is to put a resistor in series with each of the LED's. Like so:

You'll notice I used 100 Ohm resistors for those LED's which is just for indication. You should use 56 Ohm or 47 Ohm resistors for your LED's. The ideal resisitor would be 40 Ohm and you would be able to use a 39 Ohm resistor but 47 Ohm is going to keep your LED's working for longer.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Thank you very much :D
to ápeiro anima
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

No Problem. Glad I could help
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Here's a quick question.

Would normal copper wire (twinflex for example), work well as the conductor, or should I use something else? The distance is not long (maybe 40cm in total) so the resistance etc should be negligible, correct?
to ápeiro anima
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Yes that will be correct. Just remember you need 5Vdc for this circuit.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Which I can take from a Stiffy drive connector on a standard PSU, yes?
to ápeiro anima
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Yes and its usually the red wire.