Windows 7 BETA discussion thread

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Windows 7 BETA discussion thread

Post by Stuart »

DarkStar wrote:Here's a few links to prove to the XP sheep that their perfect OS had EXACTLY the same problems when it was first released.

Keep in mind, these are pulled from 2001+ posts. Back when it was first released.

http://carthage.cementhorizon.com/archives/000149.html
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/peepls/157/windows-xp-sucks
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=6958 (Mods might want to remove this, based on content inside)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/383 ... hard-truth

I hope my point is made.
You can see the same thing here. Here's a thread from back in 2002 (*envisions a necro*) where someone was complaining about driver intolerance in XP.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Vista 1 XP 0,

I actually got a message from Vista that sais it blocked an anti-priacty software. It was one of those that excessively spins the cd to read other stuff from it. In any case the game runs regardless even though Vista ditches the things driver. :lol:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

rusty I am struggling to find a link that backs up your claim. What I am finding is this:

Care to give a link for me?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Anakha56 wrote:Care to give a link for me?
we've been down this road so many times i couldn't really be all that bothered...

needless to say, claiming driver fault from a vendor when the OS is inspecting IO from every piece of hardware looking for DRM violations is hilarious... microsoft admitted that they weren't open about the DRM model because they were afraid of vendors bypassing it... when they made vendors aware of what the DRM was doing to the underlying h/ware IO, drivers 'magically' started working...

of course, i could just be blowing wind up your tailpipe... :roll:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Why then did they not stick with Xp until now? Then release a OS that is known to work?? Be it Vista or Windows 7??? Or are they just $ driven and releasing half baked OS'es but in turn make money?

They could have kept Vista in the beta stage and when everyting is sorted (drivers, resources ect ect) roll it out to the world to bask in their glory??

On all the sites I have worked, no one has gone over to Vista, primarily due to the fact that their machines are tailored for office work and not gaming. 90% of their machines only has 1GB of memory, because they are not running high end application. Office 2003/2007 is the most used application on them, so by going vista, they would have to run the high costs of upgrading the machines to accomodate the OS.

Windows 7 has been redone to run on "smaller" machines. I ran mine in a VM with only 512MB of memory on a host machine with only 1GB of ram and it ran smoothly.

So me thinks, if MS got it right the first time, they could have capitalised on the big corporations ect ect to buy their new OS.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

IcePick88, If it was done that way, sure maybe we'll have a stable OS on every first release, But then we would on be up to Windows '98 by now.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Trust to google to only give me results for music drm...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

:shock:
Did Anakin just challenge the authority of his master? Very nice young padawan. You are coming into your own. :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: I am just wanting to read up on it. I dont know everything and might have missed that news article and I cannot debate with rusty if I dont know what he is talking about. Google still not giving me what I want though :(.
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

IcePick88,i 2 hated Vista.That changed recently.I find it a tad more stable then xp.RSV2 didnt have sound on my xp side but on vista it worked perfectly.Never had a bsod on vista.Yeah sometimes the drivers for it suck but so far i havnt had any problems .Im never going back to xp.Just keeping it as backup.Anyway w7 is impressive.Only prob i had was with ie8.
Last edited by justinufo on 13 Jan 2009, 19:29, edited 2 times in total.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I still feel that Vista was a failure in the sense that it would not go down as "the next big thing". It did however gave us Windows 7, which is a very good thing.

My initial comment was: Aren't guys peed'ed off that they spent money on a OS that was so hard to get working initially, only to be overtaken by another one so soon afterwards that looks like it's going to work almost immediatly?? All because Vista was the testbed? I would surely be hacked off at myself actually. I certainly lived without Vista and it did not kill me.

IT pro's needs to keep their ears to the ground and spot these things.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

IT Pro's never upgrade to the latest version because of this and some other reasons. They stay one patch level beind cuz the alternative is an unstable and unsupported platform.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

No because I have had a more enjoyable OS and a more reliable OS than XP. I would like proof that Vista was a testbed.

The only reason why Win 7 is working so well is because of Vista, if we had to take Vista out of the equation you would still have people moaning about driver issues and the fact that you need a big computer to use it or that it uses to much resources :roll:.

Vista was the building block to something better and if we never did support MS then there is a good chance we would never get a better product and we would have to go Linux or Mac OS X...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:of course, i could just be blowing wind up your tailpipe... :roll:
Wouldn't be the first time. :P
IcePick88 wrote:Or are they just $ driven and releasing half baked OS'es but in turn make money?
Is this news to you? Of course M$ are in it for the money. ANY company that provides a service to the public is in it for the money. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your dry cleaner does NOT exist solely to offer you fresh smelling clothes: They're in it for the money. And your local Pick 'n Pay ... they want to make money. It's scandalous, I know, but it's the way the world works.
IcePick88 wrote:Windows 7 has been redone to run on "smaller" machines. I ran mine in a VM with only 512MB of memory on a host machine with only 1GB of ram and it ran smoothly.
When Vista was released, my laptop at the time had 512MB RAM. I ran Vista on it quite happily for a few weeks. When I started installing other programs and Vista started maturing a little on my hard drive, it started slowing down. I think it's a little early to judge Win 7's ability to run on low spec machines right now.
Anakha56 wrote::lol: I am just wanting to read up on it. I dont know everything and might have missed that news article and I cannot debate with rusty if I dont know what he is talking about. Google still not giving me what I want though :(.
You can't really debate with rusty even if you do know what you're talking about. He'll still rip you to shreds with that wit of his. :mrgreen:
IcePick88 wrote:I still feel that Vista was a failure in the sense that it would not go down as "the next big thing". It did however gave us Windows 7, which is a very good thing.
You're writing off as pretty much useless a OS you've never actually used, but are promoting as The Next Big Thing an OS that is still in beta? Sure, that makes sense.
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

I also don't "like" vista, because in the beginning most of my games didn't work and I couldn't get working drivers. Vista was super unstable, probably because of my crap pc. Vista was not built upon XP, and new stuff never works 100% from the beginning. This is all why I went back to XP.

A month ago XP became critically sick and I had to put it down. So I decided that why not give the new guy another final chance? About that time Vista SP2 came out, so I installed Vista and patched it all up with some new behaviour code.
Now every OLD game like RedAlert1 on the PCF CD, Age of Empires, etc is working, and Bill Gates never gave me his wallpaper. Altough I still get the occasional freeze up when I open Win Mail and Opera at the same time, but if I wait 2 minutes vista becomes concious again. But I am convinced that this is due to only 1GB ram, but I'm getting another 2GB next week :) I still dislike vista, but I don't really have a good reason why...

My point is, Vista sucked at the beginning, and XP did too. I remember that when I got my 2nd PC I was using Win 2000, and also didn't like XP and went back to 2k until XP SP1. Windows 7 is built upon Vista, thus it WON't have most of the problems because they were already fixed in SP1&2.

IcePick, I understand your point about MS releasing some non working POC, and a year later they release a new OS that is just a "fixed-and-improved-vista", but I really think you should give vista SP2 a try. I can assure you that it's not that bad anymore. But again the best thing would be to wait until Windows7 gets officially released and rather buy that :wink:
di

Post by di »

Stuart wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:I think all the people that is defending Vista is also trying to justify why they ever bought Vista in the first

And why not use the same logic now? Windows 8 will undoubtedly be faster and more stable than Windows 7. And it will have DX12. So let us beta testers have our fun whilst you keep on with your perfect XP systems.
I only got Vista Cos I Gave my Crappy PC (XP) to my Son 4 his 16 birthday.
di is Dyslexic so she Fell for the Eye candy.
Bring on win 8,9,10 ONLY problem I need More Computers to run them all :D

There was nothing wrong with it when I bought it from incredible Corruption they stuffed it up Furbar they did to it .
NOW I only Deal with the PC Shop in EL ♥
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Lol. Stuart, you mentioned Pick n Pay there. Strangely enough i read just today how that Pick n Pay was voted the Number 1 Retailer in the world or something recently, by some retailing body.

Back to Topic. Well as nice as it would be to have a Gap like XP to Vista everytime, so that your R4000 (Ultimate) went to good use it does not always come out that way. I mean think of how often they were releasing the Windows back in the Day, 98 to 2000? just a feeble 2 years? and was it also 2 year between 2000 and XP, Granted that 2000 was total mess up, it was still a release!

I fully understand the Frustration that Ice Pick is talking about, and this kind of Enhanced Windows would have been great as a Service pack rather than a New Release, but on that i can imagine all the code changes to make routines run more effecient. So new Release it is, and by the looks of it, its going to be Great. I run Vista, and it Runs just about Perfect, i can't remember last time i got an error or bombed out. and it is a bit of a bummer to think that its time to Wip out another Wod of cash for the next Release.

Don't you think it would be great if MS offered W7 at a huge discount to Vista owners because they selling an enhanced system they already own. Now that would make sense to me, however as said above, that is not how it goes down in the World of Business, and a world of Materialistic People.

But now, enough of the argument of the OS comparisons, and more about the Nice steps up that this OS has, what differences do the People see.

Anyone Take on the Start Bar, i like the Vista one more than the new one, but that could just be me
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I am enjoying the new start bar and am finding the Vista one here at work to be a bit clunky :P.

Icepick thank you for the debate really enjoyed it and we managed to take the page count up quite a bit so it was fun :).
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Ye, just those icons on the start bar, makes it feel funny,

Man the animation for the start button is awesome though! lol. And i think maybe some settings are bit easier to get to now, i only saw for example the Network settings, its easier to get to, or should i say just simpler a bit.
qace

Post by qace »

I installed Win 7 last night and am very impressed. The installation was quick with no hassles... so far everything works fine...

Thanks to Anakha56 for hooking me up with 7.... :D
shiv

Post by shiv »

Win 7 is currently consuming 29% of RAM when idle :shock: (1 GB RAM)
Vista would've been double that, and XP about 10% less I guess.
And when using the OS, the mem usage will increase, but then gradually decrease, kept a watch on the Task Manager.

Installed some commonly used progs, no issues so far.

Very impressive so far.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I just wish MS would realize that the Classic contol panel worked 100x better than the categorized view they want us to use.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Am I the only one who got a BSOD with Win7 ???
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I just wish MS would realize that the Classic contol panel worked 100x better than the categorized view they want us to use.
Maybe for us, but think of all the stupid people out there.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

D3PART3D wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:I just wish MS would realize that the Classic contol panel worked 100x better than the categorized view they want us to use.
Maybe for us, but think of all the stupid people out there.
Nah you will always find a bigger idiot.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932