Windows 7 Beta to be released worldwide on Friday

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Windows 7 Beta to be released worldwide on Friday

Post by Anakha56 »

Mow easy fix to the media player problem is to make all mp3's read only :wink:. Also MS has released hot fixes to that problem so I am thinking that this release might actually be the 7000 one with a few changes? Who knows...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mow

Post by Mow »

edit. beat me to it. but heres another direct link.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/0 ... r-to-patch
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Mow it is the same build that I have been d/l for the last X amount of hours so I think its safe to say that the one released in December is the same one as this one?
Mow

Post by Mow »

Seems like it dude. Pitty really cause there is a buil 7004 foating about that has some gpgpu acceleration features.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

I'm loving it. Just finished installing Windows 7 X64 and so far so good. When Vista came out and I tried it I got constant BSODs on install and when finally getting it done had endless problems so for this to be a beta I am very impressed. No driver issues, no errors (yet anyway) and I really enjoy the new GUI, or at least the improved GUI/whatever it's actually called-gone blank.

I'm downloading something via IE and the IE icon is basically a progress bar, it fills up as the download progresses so I don't have to open to check it and it doesn't take up space with the full filename and percentage. Just little things so far so we'll see how it goes.

I did get it via torrent (took me a total of 3/4 hours) but will register with the site when it's online to get my key as from everything I have read it is the same build so should be able to activate it no problem (during install you just leave the product key blank for later activation, like vista).

Tested a bunch of AVI files and none needed codecs which is a plus, will be insteresting to see how many formats are natively supported (tried avi, divx and wma).

UAC is still here but only pops up when it needs to so muuuch improved, so much so that I'll probably leave it on :shock:

So far I have installed iTunes, AVG free, firefox, Geforce drivers (the one's installed automatically look like older drivers) and a bit later I'll install COD4 and see how it goes.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Friggs, x32 or x64?
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Friggs wrote:I'm loving it. Just finished installing Windows 7 X64.......
64bit dude.

The live preview (when you hover your mouse over an icon in your task bar) is awesome!! If you hav a few different folders open you'll see it on the icon, move your mouse over the icon and it pops up a little display of the open windows (like vista) but, move your mouse over one of those little windows and it brings the actual window to the front and hides all others, move your mouse away and it goes back to normal. Very cool.
Last edited by Friggs on 10 Jan 2009, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Mine is taking so long to finish :cry:. Total d/l time = 11h 12m and I have only completed 55.9% and I am being told that it will take another +- 6h :(.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Anakha56 wrote:Mine is taking so long to finish :cry:. Total d/l time = 11h 12m and I have only completed 55.9% and I am being told that it will take another +- 6h :(.
Ouch, I was lucky, was getting about 300kbps+ the whole time.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Mine has been hovering in the region of 40-120 the whole day so far, now it is on 1** :(.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

It has a wallpaper slideshow setting so you set your background to change every x minutes... I dunno why but I seriously always wanted that (even though I'll probably get annoyed a change it :) ) so that's cool. another cool thing is if you move your mouse over the show desktop button (now situated on the far right next to the time) it will temporarily minimise all your open windows, kinda makes em transparent.

So yea, have finished installing all my drivers and apps and no crashes and all the drivers work. I will admit though, the 32bit version running on my laptop (1.8Ghz centrino, 1GB DDR2) has frozen twice so far so I am hoping the 64bit version on my PC doesn't do the same.

Something else I just noticed, I have the gmail notifier add-on in firefox. I had firefox closed and it popped up to alert me to a new e-mail.... seems to run even when ff is closed. weird.

Just checked my memory usage, not great (for some) as it is sitting at 1.36GB with only firefox open which is using 65Mb. Granted the G5 and G15 use quite a bit but still, that's pretty much the same as my Vista ultimate was using. Maybe without the desktop slideshow and a few other things it will be better but I have 4GB so don't mind at all.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Finally got around to installing on my PC...

Well, so far I like it... My sidebar does not work! :| :( GRRR Does not open, gadgets dont open.etc It did when I ran it off the VM :|
Also neither does Daemon Tools (keeps telling me that I have to restart and I keep doing it, same thing).

Disabled UAC, seems to run rather well. Another thing, I cant seem to rename 3 of my 4 HDDs...
They were named perfectly under Vista and all, now all of a sudden they are called Local Disk and if I try and rename, nothing happens... It reverts back to Local Disk as I push enter, WTF?

Been running it for about an hour now. Still getting used to it, trying to setup everything and so on.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Weird man, I just renamde my C drive from Local Disk to windows, told me I need to give admin permission to do it, clicked ok and voila. My 500GB is still called my docs from vista. My gadgets seem fine, the media center gadget did something weird (if my cursur came close to the gadget it would jump to the end of the screen) but after a reboot it's fine.
halo

Post by halo »

Friggs, I don't suppose you want to be a sport and mail me the both the X86 and X64 versions? Don't worry about the install keys, I'll register them with live once I've installed it...

I'll pay for shipping and cost of DVDs... :D
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Friggs wrote:Weird man, I just renamde my C drive from Local Disk to windows, told me I need to give admin permission to do it, clicked ok and voila. My 500GB is still called my docs from vista. My gadgets seem fine, the media center gadget did something weird (if my cursur came close to the gadget it would jump to the end of the screen) but after a reboot it's fine.
Yeh, my main HDD (which is now partitioned, Vista nad W7 dual boot) are named fine and all, thoes I can change.
The other 3 I cant...

I also tried to install 2 gadgets which were ment for Vista and have the .gadget extention (double clicked them) and only after that did I try open the Sidebar... Perhaps that screwed something up?

I find W7 a bit too light, will play around with themes later and see if I cant make it a bit darker, otherwise I like the look...

The task bar... HmmZ, not sure, there are somethings I like about it, others which I dont. I like the look and it seems a bit bigger, although I dont like the fact that we cant have WMP12 in the taskbar like in Vista (or can we?).
I like being able to customize it easily as well.

If you have a movie playing, and then try that thing where you leave yoru cursor over the program, then hold it over the pop up box you get from that where it makes the other programs transparent and just has their outlines and beings that program to the front, the movie stops playing, although in the smaller window it keeps on playing... hehe
Dont know if they planned for it to be like that? I dont really mind though.

WMP12, will take me quite a while to get use to it, im not liking it very much anymore actually. Perhaps that will change once I get use to it?

The W7 rating system goes from 1.0 to 7.9. My main HDD gets 2.9 o_O. With the VM I got 5.9 :|

I also miss my side-bar...

Well, this is definatly a beta version. Although it seems very good so far. The bugs iv found seem to be rather small. Lets see how things go from here :D
Last edited by PsyCLown on 10 Jan 2009, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

PsyCLown wrote:I also miss my you like chicken?...
Lol, I can see chickens popping up all over this and other threads for the next few weeks! :lol:
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

My wallpaper keeps vanishing.... will just go balck regardless of me setting it to a static pic or slideshow pics.

halo, sorry bud, I avoid the PO at all costs as ours is useless. If you know anyone up here who will pick it up for you then no problem, happy to share.
halo

Post by halo »

all good man! I managed to get my friend to download it for me! I hate having a 3 GB cap, kills me fun :( But thanx for the offer though :D
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Stuart wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:I also miss my you like chicken?...
Lol, I can see chickens popping up all over this and other threads for the next few weeks! :lol:
Not too sure what you mean by that.

Although it is a beta version and you expect such things, perhaps we can create a thread for questions related to the beta version and if possible try get some fixes for some of the problems...

I think you were refering to something regarding some problems in the beta version of W7?

Spoiler (show)
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

halo wrote:all good man! I managed to get my friend to download it for me! I hate having a 3 GB cap, kills me fun :( But thanx for the offer though :D
Awesome, glad you got sorted!

I have a new problem... actually 2. Firstly, I have no idea where COD4 is saving my profile because it isn't in the activision folder :? I created a profile hoping it would create the folder (frofiles) but no luck. So I joined a server to see if that was the problem... and here comes problem number 2, "Player friggs pb kicked, reason: unknown windows api" lol, googles the code with no luck but will search a bit more tomorrow.

OK, I found it but have no idea why it is where it is?? For some reason my player forder is now located at

Code: Select all

C:\Users\friggs\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles
I created a folder called 'players' with my profile forlder in my main COD4 folder but didn't make a difference...[/i]
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Ok, stuart... I see what you mean... PCF changed side-bar (without the hyphen) to "chickens?"
Dont know why. :lol:

I created a thread which we can perhaps use to discuss W7 related issues and it in general? Well, the BETA version :D
Here be the thread

Spoiler (show)