Sleep mode

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Sleep mode

Post by Siemens »

Hey people

recently I've been putting my pc in sleep mode a lot instead of just shutting it off completely. This eliminates the long boot-up procedure.
Now sinceI've moved to vista , everytime I go to shut down my pc , it just switches to sleep mode.
I don't mind this but I do have a question.
Is this safe for my hardware? Because somehow the idea of a pc only being half on/half off doesn't seem like such a good thing for the hardware.

Can anyone clarrify this for me?

Thanks.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Sleep mode

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Siemens wrote:Hey people

recently I've been putting my pc in sleep mode a lot instead of just shutting it off completely. This eliminates the long boot-up procedure.
Now sinceI've moved to vista , everytime I go to shut down my pc , it just switches to sleep mode.
I don't mind this but I do have a question.
Is this safe for my hardware? Because somehow the idea of a pc only being half on/half off doesn't seem like such a good thing for the hardware.

Can anyone clarrify this for me?

Thanks.
I atually prefer it as every time you switch your PC on you are in fact creating billions of shorts in that first millisecond. I would think that is actually worse. Also if you simply select the power button from the start menu it will go to safe mode. There is however an arrow next to the power and lock button which gives you a couple diffirent options. Go have a look.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Prime

Post by Prime »

The one think to watch however is that your pc is actually off when you want to work on it. Quite a few times, i've looked at my pc and had to check if its completely off. You can set the function of the little button icon in the startmenu. I had it set up to shutdown before my drive crashed.

However, living in the highveld in summer, i'd suggested shutting down and unplugging your pc rather when its not being used. We tend to get freak lightening storms.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Prime wrote:However, living in the highveld in summer, i'd suggested shutting down and unplugging your pc rather when its not being used. We tend to get freak lightening storms.
I noticed that lately. I am in the eastern parts of pretoria and it can sometimes ge quite wild. Nice to look at though.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Yeah , I can see wheter it is on or off or sleep mode , I've got a little light on my case that tells me. I live in Alberton so here is also quite a few lightning storms that passes.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

what about hibernating the pc?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU