Is Your Son a Computer Hacker?

Author:
T Reginald Gibbons
Topic:
Internet Idiocy
Posted:
Dec 02, 2001
Comments:

As an enlightened, modern parent, I try to be as involved as possible in the lives of my six children. I encourage them to join team sports. I attend their teen parties with them to ensure no drinking or alcohol is on the premises. I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. You could say I'm a model parent. My children have never failed to make me proud, and I can say without the slightest embellishment that I have the finest family in the USA.

Two years ago, my wife Carol and I decided that our children's education would not be complete without some grounding in modern computers. To this end, we bought our children a brand new Compaq to learn with. The kids had a lot of fun using the handful of application programs we'd bought, such as Adobe's Photoshop and Microsoft's Word, and my wife and I were pleased that our gift was received so well. Our son Peter was most entranced by the device, and became quite a pro at surfing the net. When Peter began to spend whole days on the machine, I became concerned, but Carol advised me to calm down, and that it was only a passing phase. I was content to bow to her experience as a mother, until our youngest daughter, Cindy, charged into the living room one night to blurt out: "Peter is a computer hacker!"

As you can imagine, I was amazed. A computer hacker in my own house! I began to monitor my son's habits, to make certain that Cindy wasn't just telling stories, as she is prone to doing at times.

After a few days of investigation, and some research into computer hacking, I confronted Peter with the evidence. I'm afraid to say, this was the only time I have ever been truly disappointed in one of my children. We raised them to be honest and to have integrity, and Peter betrayed the principles we tried to encourage in him, when he refused point blank to admit to his activities. His denials continued for hours, and in the end, I was left with no choice but to ban him from using the computer until he is old enough to be responsible for his actions.

After going through this ordeal with my own family, I was left pondering how I could best help others in similar situations. I'd gained a lot of knowledge over those few days regarding hackers. It's only right that I provide that information to other parents, in the hope that they will be able to tell if their children are being drawn into the world of hacking. Perhaps other parents will be able to steer their sons back onto the straight and narrow before extreme measures need to be employed.

To this end, I have decided to publish the top ten signs that your son is a hacker. I advise any parents to read this list carefully and if their son matches the profile, they should take action. A smart parent will first try to reason with their son, before resorting to groundings, or even spanking. I pride myself that I have never had to spank a child, and I hope this guide will help other parents to put a halt to their son's misbehaviour before a spanking becomes necessary.

1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs?

Most American families use trusted and responsible Internet Service Providers, such as AOL. These providers have a strict "No Hacking" policy, and take careful measures to ensure that your internet experience is enjoyable, educational and above all legal. If your child is becoming a hacker, one of his first steps will be to request a change to a more hacker friendly provider.

I would advise all parents to refuse this request. One of the reasons your son is interested in switching providers is to get away from AOL's child safety filter. This filter is vital to any parent who wants his son to enjoy the internet without the endangering him through exposure to "adult" content. It is best to stick with the protection AOL provides, rather than using a home-based solution. If your son is becoming a hacker, he will be able to circumvent any home-based measures with surprising ease, using information gleaned from various hacker sites.

2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?

Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

The best option is to confront your son with the evidence, and force him to remove the offending programs. He will probably try to install the software again, but you will be able to tell that this is happening, if your machine offers to "download" one of the hacker applications. If this happens, it is time to give your son a stern talking to, and possibly consider punishing him with a grounding.

3. Has your child asked for new hardware?

Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips.
They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

4. Does your child read hacking manuals?

If you pay close attention to your son's reading habits, as I do, you will be able to determine a great deal about his opinions and hobbies. Children are at their most impressionable in the teenage years. Any father who has had a seventeen year old daughter attempt to sneak out on a date wearing make up and perfume is well aware of the effect that improper influences can have on inexperienced minds.

There are, unfortunately, many hacking manuals available in bookshops today. A few titles to be on the lookout for are: "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson; "Neuromancer" by William Gibson; "Programming with Perl" by Timothy O'Reilly; "Geeks" by Jon Katz; "The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland; "Hackers" by Steven Levy; and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond.

If you find any of these hacking manuals in your child's possession, confiscate them immediately. You should also petition local booksellers to remove these titles from their shelves. You may meet with some resistance at first, but even booksellers have to bow to community pressure.

5. How much time does your child spend using the computer each day?

If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites. DOSing involves gaining access to the "command prompt" on other people's machines, and using it to tie up vital internet services. This can take up to eight hours. If your son is doing this, he is breaking the law, and you should stop him immediately. The safest policy is to limit your children's access to the computer to a maximum of forty-five minutes each day.

6. Does your son use Quake?

Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers. It is a popular meeting place and training ground, where they discuss hacking and train in the use of various firearms. Many hackers develop anti-social tendencies due to the use of this virtual world, and it may cause erratic behaviour at home and at school.

If your son is using Quake, you should make hime understand that this is not acceptable to you. You should ensure all the firearms in your house are carefully locked away, and have trigger locks installed. You should also bring your concerns to the attention of his school.

7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

As a child enters the electronic world of hacking, he may become disaffected with the real world. He may lose the ability to control his actions, or judge the rightness or wrongness of a course of behaviour. This will manifest itself soonest in the way he treats others. Those whom he disagrees with will be met with scorn, bitterness, and even foul language. He may utter threats of violence of a real or electronic nature.

Even when confronted, your son will probably find it difficult to talk about this problem to you. He will probably claim that there is no problem, and that you are imagining things. He may tell you that it is you who has the problem, and you should "back off" and "stop smothering him." Do not allow yourself to be deceived. You are the only chance your son has, even if he doesn't understand the situation he is in. Keep trying to get through to him, no matter how much he retreats into himself.

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

9. Has your son radically changed his appearance?

If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may have a hacker on your hands. Hackers tend to dress in bright, day-glo colors. They may wear baggy pants, bright colored shirts and spiky hair dyed in bright colors to match their clothes. They may take to carrying "glow-sticks" and some wear pacifiers around their necks. (I have no idea why they do this) There are many such hackers in schools today, and your son may have started to associate with them. If you notice that your son's group of friends includes people dressed like this, it is time to think about a severe curfew, to protect him from dangerous influences.

10. Is your son struggling academically?

If your son is failing courses in school, or performing poorly on sports teams, he may be involved in a hacking group, such as the infamous "Otaku" hacker association. Excessive time spent on the computer, communicating with his fellow hackers may cause temporary damage to the eyes and brain, from the electromagnetic radiation. This will cause his marks to slip dramatically, particularly in difficult subjects such as Math, and Chemistry. In extreme cases, over-exposure to computer radiation can cause schizophrenia, meningitis and other psychological diseases. Also, the reduction in exercise may cause him to lose muscle mass, and even to start gaining weight. For the sake of your child's mental and physical health, you must put a stop to his hacking, and limit his computer time drastically.

I encourage all parents to read through this guide carefully. Your child's future may depend upon it. Hacking is an illegal and dangerous activity, that may land your child in prison, and tear your family apart. It cannot be taken too seriously.
Word for word. It's here

AMD users-Kill your CPU right now mister! It's a hacking CPU and Intels are safe for the world to use.

I highlighted some key points he makes. Give this man a medal.

Youtube response by some actual hackers.

Comments?
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Damn this is old...
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

This has been posted on here before - but I just read it again, and laughed even harder. :lol:

Can't find where it was posted though.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

maxxis wrote:Damn this is old...
I did a search but nothing came up.
Sorry but it's good for a laugh for the newer members.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Its as old is the interwebs itself, and its got to be a joke.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
karlschulz7

Post by karlschulz7 »

How can AMD be "Knock- off" or inferior, I heard that AMD actually designed Intel chips then Intel broke away from AMD and start designing their own chips :?:
ECS p4m900t-m2 mobo
3.20ghz overclocked to 3,60ghz
512DDR2 667mhz ram
Geforce 6600gt 256mb
sata dvdrw
sata 160gig HDD
Ide 80gig HDD
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

maxxis wrote:Damn this is old...
Qft, must be at least the third time I've seen it posted.
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

TL;DR
They see me trollin', they hatin'...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

the word we're after here is parody, folks...

it's a jest... an ancient, not even particularly creative, one...

not that this makes any difference to the number and range of schmeckels who think it's in earnest...

if anything, the sheer volume and vehemence of the resulting geek-fit makes its critics, if anything, dumber than the supposed author...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

I lol'd

u should not spend more than 40mins a day on the computer ... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Imagine :D
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

lol us ninjas (shhhht) just laugh in the faces of ppl who right articles like that..psssh

im using intel...yeah, very secure lol
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Pieterpan
Location: At the Rock concert . Third row there somewhere between the other people. .... .

Post by Pieterpan »

i LOLed
Member of The Phoenix's Garters
--------------------------------------
* Biostar T-Series Motherboard TF7100PM7
* Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.5Ghz
* 3GB DDR2 Kingston RAM 800
* 1x 250GB 1x 80GB 1x 40 GB HDD
* GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3

...Join the Dark side . .. We have cookies!
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Its the first time I've seen this, its a good chuckle... lol
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

First time i seen it too.

Glad i got Intel nowadays, don't want to think about how I was using Quake learning about guns using a processor that is not only inferior, but made by sweating children. Ew! Unless you are Jamin

So all you AMD fangirls, change to Intel or the interwebs police will be after you
And all you Linux fanbois, don't swap to Windows, it will fry your drive. Just don't make any sudden movements... :wink:

I lolled at this. Some people have too much time on their hands :lol:

Shot for making my morning interesting :D
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

This made my morning :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFLcakes at the Linux bit
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Let me just say , I lol'd again!!!!! LOL
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

Hmmm... My sister is like this... OMG SHE MUST BE A HACKER!! Nevermind the fact she only knows how to play the sims :roll: :roll: :roll:

I also LOL'd again!
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Hey I'm glad I bought some smiles, again, to some peoples faces.
If I had known that this had been posted before... :oops:

The funny thing is-even if this was made up it would still reflect the combined opinions of the tech ignorant out there.

"AMD is Satan while Intel, and more to the point, Pentium are the best." has always been one of the most common beliefs of parents.

Funny how kids are now teaching their parents about the internets and so on.
Fallen

Re: Is your son a computer hacker?...damn this is informative

Post by Fallen »

"Does your son use Quake??" BWAHAHAHA!!!
Zana

Post by Zana »

Last edited by Zana on 30 Nov 2008, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
Zana

Post by Zana »

Zana wrote:This article or news thing is realy silly... its amazing what parents can assume sometimes...
Gosh, the poor kid is getting computer constrained... it would be interesting to see what the auther consider's "adult" content... i dont know whats up with people putting nudity alone less the sensual activities(sex) (excluding porn)into the adult content category of things, and someone gettng decapitated removed from the adult content category.... no wonder why the internet is getting so messed up with restrictions/sensorships and the then the rise of stupid anarchy sites which then rise to cyber bullying crap.

Love and hugs
:love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Another thing to watch out for if you are a concerned parent.

DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

karlschulz7 wrote:How can AMD be "Knock- off" or inferior, I heard that AMD actually designed Intel chips then Intel broke away from AMD and start designing their own chips :?:
:roll: ... wut?

Wow... not sure that some ppl actually fell for the article or the comment above is the most disturbing I have heard since lunch...

edit: w00t... that be post #2000!
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

I was looking all over the net for this article for years. Thanks for posting it :)
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart