some dangerous spyware removers

Viruses, hackers and crackers
jee

some dangerous spyware removers

Post by jee »

Guys and gurls,

I'm doing some security training next week, and would like to STOP staff from trying to "clean" their own pcs. I know there is a list somewhere with "spyware removers" that actually are spyware/malware in itself.

Anyone have some of the most often used ones that I can use as example?

ta
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
po10cy

Re: some dangerous spyware removers

Post by po10cy »

one thing they must avoid is spyware cleaners that tell them they can scan online thru their website, i would defenitely make a point to mention that. other than that there are so many websites saying "download FREE spyware remover" that its easy to fall for them. IMHO anything besides spybot search and destroy and Ad Aware is bad.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

po10cy wrote:one thing they must avoid is spyware cleaners that tell them they can scan online thru their website, i would defenitely make a point to mention that. other than that there are so many websites saying "download FREE spyware remover" that its easy to fall for them. IMHO anything besides spybot search and destroy and Ad Aware is bad.
+1 spybot search and destroy removed some spyware on my pc.Just update,run and voila
jee

Post by jee »

Thanks, I know the ones that work :)

I want to know which ones are the problematic giants that can inveigle a poor sod to click and booggar up
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I agree with po10cy. Anything that asks you to test their spyware, or tells you that you have spyware (Spybot and AdBlock excluded obviously) is spyware in itself. Stay way
Last edited by WiK1d on 14 Nov 2008, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

+2 for spybot and ad-aware. :lol:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
jee

Post by jee »

SBSP

Post by SBSP »

jee wrote:anybody used this?
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/
Dont think thats spyware software its jut a blog talking about all the different spywares available
stuza

Post by stuza »

As I think jee was suggesting, check out http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

As per the original post this gives a list of spyware "cleaners" that are actual malware themselves.

Unfortunately it was last updated in May 2007. I founf that I could not remember the url when I needed it and found googling rogue spyware produced the results needed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_software is pretty up to date.

Spybot Search and destroy, spywareblaster and ccleaner are all worthwhile. I use all 3. (CCleaner makes after the fact auditing more difficult and does privacy cleaning).
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

and would like to STOP staff from trying to "clean" their own pcs.
Active directory with the installation function removed from all but admin accounts.
Saves admin overhead by stopping the issue before it develops.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(