shared drive with excel docs duplicating.

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
SBSP

shared drive with excel docs duplicating.

Post by SBSP »

Hi I have a weird problem.

We have a shared drive with excel documents only in different folders.

and the files a duplicating with random numbers.

E.g

If a folder has 1 excel doc inside of it, lets say its called Prices.xls and its 4Mb in size.
Then there is another 5 files with names like 2E4EB100 with no extention and its the exact same size as
the Prices.xls document if i rename one of the file 2E4EB100 to 2E4EB100.xls it opens fine in excel.

It makes me think its a temp file but its wasing lots of space! if there is 5 documents in afolder they all get duplicated.
There is not pattern in the duplication some are duplicated 3 times some even 5 and some only once.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: shared drive with excel docs duplicating.

Post by hamin_aus »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814068

Excel creates these temporary files when users make changes. Then when users save, the temp files are saved with the name if the spreadsheet, and the old spreadsheet is deleted.

If the user saving the file does not have rights to delete the Excel doc, this might happen...
SBSP

Re: shared drive with excel docs duplicating.

Post by SBSP »

jamin_za wrote:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814068

Excel creates these temporary files when users make changes. Then when users save, the temp files are saved with the name if the spreadsheet, and the old spreadsheet is deleted.

If the user saving the file does not have rights to delete the Excel doc, this might happen...
Yip I figured it would be that Cus i did change the permissions, the users had permission to create folders and files but did not
have permission to delete.

But what puzzled me is excel normally does this locally in the temp folder also making the the file hidden with funny characters like .%3453456.xls

Thanks for the help jamin.