Dual channel ram - Say what?

Any hardware related topics go here.
SilverBack

Dual channel ram - Say what?

Post by SilverBack »

Hiya,

Can someone please confirm this? Wanna get 4GB ram for my new pc setup, and asked a guy at a pc store about ram and motherboards. He said that if a mobo has 4 ram slots and can run dual channel ram (2 slots are green, 2 slots are black for this example), I HAVE TO get 4 sets of ram (4 x 1GB), otherwise dual channel wont work. So he is saying both colour slots must have same ram in it to use the dual channel? (I know it must be same make of ram...but thats not to do with this)

So that means, according to him, that I must get 4 x 1GB sticks of ram to make use of a dual channel mob?? :?

But I thought you only need to use either both the green slots, or both the black slots, and you dont have to use all 4? You could stick in 2 x 2GB ram instead. So if you have 2 x 2GB ram and slot 1 into each of the green slots for example, it will run dual channel. If you put 1 ram in green, and 1 ram in black...it runs single channel?

Am I right, or is he right? Get the feeling they were trying to take me for a ride?

Cheers
SB
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Re: Dual channel ram - Say what?

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

SilverBack, go back to the store and bitchslap that guy, for dual channel to work you only need 2 of the same stick ie: 2x 2Gb in the matching slots. obviously 1 stick in diff slots wont work :lol:
Last edited by Firestrm_ZA on 13 Nov 2008, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

You can run dual channel with two sticks of ram, they just must be in the correct color slots (ie: both must be in yellow or both in black)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

go tell the guy to go jump in the sea, not only is he talking crap but he is also preventing you from future upgrading of ram by adding more ram sticks.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

BS - LOL!

Bloody b@stard, I thought so!! Grrr....thanks for clearing that up, I thought I was right!
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

take a ban stick with to the shop
junjun

Post by junjun »

No need for violence

depending on the motherboard, you can still run dual channel using 4x1GB sticks or RAM as well as 2X1/2GB Sticks of RAM
most Boards that support Dual Channel are indicated with color coded Slots ie- Blue ,black

stick in 2 sticks of Identical ram into the blue(corresponding slots) to run dual channel
or 4 sticks , 2xblue & 2xblack( which ever color ) to run dual channel using all the slots on the board,

hope this helps
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Go back to the shop.
Walk up to the counter.
Get his attention and call him over.
With him standing right in front of you, FACEPALM.
Walk out the shop.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

junjun wrote:No need for violence

depending on the motherboard, you can still run dual channel using 4x1GB sticks or RAM as well as 2X1/2GB Sticks of RAM
most Boards that support Dual Channel are indicated with color coded Slots ie- Blue ,black

stick in 2 sticks of Identical ram into the blue(corresponding slots) to run dual channel
or 4 sticks , 2xblue & 2xblack( which ever color ) to run dual channel using all the slots on the board,

hope this helps
the question was, MUST you get 4 sticks of ram to use dual channel, the answer is no, you can run it with 2 sticks.

having 4x1gb sticks wouldnt be as smart as using 2x2gb sticks, as it prevents future upgrading and isnt necessary, seeing that 2 sticks works fine.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Facepalm :lol:
junjun wrote:depending on the motherboard, you can still run dual channel using 4x1GB sticks or RAM as well as 2X1/2GB Sticks of RAM

He was saying that you have to have 4 sticks of ram to run dual channel, it wont work with only 2 sticks of both in green slots / both in black slots. He basically said if I do the latter, its single channel, but he was wrong.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Firestrm wrote:SilverBack, go back to the store and bitchslap that guy, for dual channel to work you only need 2 of the same stick ie: 2x 2Gb in the matching slots. obviously 1 stick in diff slots wont work :lol: