Starcraft 2 Official!!!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Starcraft 2 Official!!!

Post by hamin_aus »

No, I need my free time, bandwidth and disposable income too much to get drawn into playing WoW.
Plus all my friends who do play keep these crazy hours in order to play on the US servers.
They wake up at like 3AM....

It's an awesome game, but not for me.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

The 3am raiding thing :( I had 2 months of that and then it was over.

Is the report official though or can blizzard change their mind at any time? The problem with episodic content is that it can stop any time. If you want to see it in another light you can always say look at a game like Dawn of War. It only featured the one playable race. If you have to take a newer title then try taking C&C3 Kane's Wrath. It only had a NOD campaign and after finishing that you still wanted more. Either that it lacked the once all sides campaign or the lack of a proper ending you decide. Only sure thing I was grinding the game to get it finished being only able to play with one faction.

A Multi faction campaign just allows for a broader story to develop and also make the player hunger for the next playable race.

The other thing I would like to stress since its being brought in is that you cant compare a MMO to a single or standard multi player game. I seriously cant see my terran marines doing fishing, cooking or tailoring to pass time until the next expansion.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Blizzard Denies Milking Starcraft Franchise
Paid Battle.Net service a possibility

The announcement StarCraft II will be released as a trilogy generated significant discussion among the gaming community. One of the main theories put forward was that Blizzard was bending to pressure from Activision to release the game as a trilogy in order to increase revenue over time. In an exclusive interview with game news site Edge Online, Blizzard representative Bob Colayco denied this claim.

Colayco stated, “No, absolutely not. [Activision] does not play a factor at all,” when asked if Activision had pressured Blizzard to release the game as a trilogy. He also stated, “I think the readers aren’t understanding that there’s a full, gi-normous single-player campaign experience in each of these three products.”...
When asked about Blizzard implementing a paid Battle.Net service Colayco failed to confirm or deny anything concrete. Colayco vaguely added, “All I can say is that once we figure out and develop what it is, we’re going to look at it and come up for something that makes sense from a business perspective. It could be anything, and it could also vary a lot from region to region.
So it looks like a paid service is on and if I am reading this right S.A will get left out ala WoW style... :?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

A paid Battle.net service might not be a bad idea.

The state Battle.net was in the last time I went on was deplorable. The user base was retarded and playing a decent game was impossible.

I think asking people to pay to play online will keep undesirables out. It's not like WoW where people can turn a profit online, so only serious gamers will be there

And if you don't like it, I am sure non Blizzard servers will pop up like genital warts all over the internet offering free - if not troll-free gaming :D

Also, SA cant be left out as they were in WoW...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

jamin_za wrote:Also, SA cant be left out as they were in WoW...
You will have to expand on that one? What is stopping them from cutting S.A out of the pie?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

How can they cut us out?

Will they be blocking out IP's from connecting to their servers?

it's not like WoW with guilds and raid times and latency issues.

Connect to your nearest BNet server and play against whoever is online...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

If its a paid service then they just might create the servers that matter in Europe and America. I dont mind because I will suck at SC2 anyway.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

So what if they are in Europe or Asia or the US.

I used to connect to Bnet with my 56K dialup and play fine.

You can't tell me a faster connection like 3G or ADSL will not be able to handle SC2.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I have tried World in Conflict over my ADSL lan and it lagged badly :( but then that does look like it chows more GPU power than SC2. So maybe SC2 wont lag only time will tell...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Maybe we can get an SGS alternative service?
My Steam Screenshots

Manofwar

Post by Manofwar »

SC ... Well with Broodwars was the most balanced game, I have ever played in RTS.

Blizzard needs to achieve the same standard with the upcoming release of SC 2.

It's also a HUGE hit in the Korean market, so if it fails... it would be a disaster for the company.

SC have a cult following.. And I am a big fan too...

We used to play it, until the birds sang in the early morning hours...

It's a real time-leecher... so if you have not played it b4... Kiss your time goodbye :evil:
-= Studying IT is not a good preparation for dealing with IT =-

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.00 GHz
MSI Intel P45 Neo-F
MSI NX9600GT 512MB 16X PCI-E
2 x Apacer 2048MB DDR2
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
LG 22" Wide LCD
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well the expectations on the title is high not because its Starcraft 2 but rather that it's still Blizzard. I have given up on anything that comes from EA. That said, Activision Blizzard... I really hope that the quality DOESN'T drops as it often does with mergers.

*Edit* Corrected a typo worst than if Zuma became president.
Last edited by StarBound on 30 Oct 2008, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
My Steam Screenshots

badguy

Post by badguy »

Guys this is blizzard BLIZZARD ,It's not EA that failed with need for speed pro street.
Blizzard has a rating of 10 out 10 for all there games

starcraft= was damn good
Daiblo = better than damn good
warcarft = still damn good
WOW= So Damn good

I believe in them :D

Edit soz for the grammar
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

It's not the blizzard part that worries me. Its the activision part.
My Steam Screenshots

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

StarBound wrote:... then try taking C&C3 Kane's Wrath. It only had a NOD campaign ...

O/T

whoa whoa whoa!

I am playing this at the moment. are you sure single player only has a NOD campaign? cos if it does: IT SUCK BIG FAT HAIRY MONKEY NUTS!

seriously..WTF?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

well it would make sense that kanes wrath is only a nod campaign...kane is only from nod, its an expansion based around him lol
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

A campaign with a single playable race can work but replay value is far far less than offering multi factions. Eg in warcraft 3 RoC I cheat my way through the undead campaign. When it came to Starcraft I felt that the Terrans had too many battles with other terran groups and would love to have seen more. The Zerg wasnt my favourite campaign and I dont like them much as a faction. The protoss was more my thing.

I feel that blizzard should reconsider what they are doing with the game. Give me 10 levels per faction per game. If they want to bring out 2 expansions then go ahead just make sure it passes the quality stamp of high expectations. No variance makes games real boring. Even Dawn of War was hard sitting a 2nd session through.
My Steam Screenshots

RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Starcraft 2 cannot possibly match the 1st one :( the thing about starcraft was its combinations and variations in the army you create. For example a protoss army vs zerg for example would be typically consists of zeals, high temps, dark temps, corsairs and a couple goons. Though the awesome thing about starcraft was the ability to change your army combination completely to render the opponent's completely useless, even though there are about 15 units per race the combinations were endless.

But the finishing touch that made starcraft exceptional was the pace of the game and the ability to micro (NOT THE SAME AS WAR3). If u played online and your apm (actions per minute) was less than a 120 u were considered NOOB. With the variations in your army, micro was essential and this generated the speed during combat in a all out battle in the middle of the map (eg if u zerg u had to move your units fast out of the psystorm to survie and hunt the temps 1st if you wanted a chance to win), and on top of that even though high speed and concentration is needed it never was frustrating (even when i got bashed around online playing on korean servers :lol: ). Now some ppl might say oh but warcraft has micro.... :evil: ...... NO IT DOESNT, that is simply dancing, which is moving your unit out of fire so the fire is focused of the next unit, if u were attacked by an arrow and run out of the way the arrow will follow your unit like a stinger missile, but in starcraft it was possible to kill a lurker with 1 marine, yes 1 marine by microing him out of the danger (and yes i've done it ^.^).

Now this is where the problem lies with sc2, from what i've seen from the videos so far it seems that there is a counter for every other unit which renders that unit absolutly useless in battle vs it the counters seem to be a bit strong. That being said the micro system seems to be the same as that of war3 (which sucks) , i suppose the developers are more interested in making sc2 pretty with smooth animations than to worry about micro :(. Finally the protoss mothership, OMG can u spell IMBA? , that is just so imba and unfair :( super weapons are gonna make the game go a little on the g@y side

So all in all thats what i think about this starcraft 2... yes i would be a good new gen RTS but it probably fails in comparision to Starcraft brood Wars which is possibly THE best RTS ever made.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Dude, play the game then complain about balance issues, if there are any... :roll:

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I have been playing C&C Tiberium Wars, and the alien species has a mothership. Blizzard tends to rip off don't they?

Having said that, I can not wait for this game to come out.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Changes to the game has been made since those game play movies got released. One is that the protoss mothership no longer has the black hole generator. There was something on the terran side that changed to.

Anyway the game is still long off. I want it soon :(
My Steam Screenshots

Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

StarBound wrote:Well the expectations on the title is high not because its Starcraft 2 but rather that it's still Blizzard. I have given up on anything that comes from EA. That said, Activision Blizzard... I really hope that the quality drops as it often does with mergers.
I hope that was a typo! :shock:
GreyWolf wrote:O/T

whoa whoa whoa!

I am playing this at the moment. are you sure single player only has a NOD campaign? cos if it does: IT SUCK BIG FAT HAIRY MONKEY NUTS!

seriously..WTF?
I'm afraid so. :( The ending and sudden return to the main menu had me also going wtf, then spending a good ten minutes looking through the entire menu structure to see if there was a button that had been unlocked to start a new campaign. :?
GreyWolf wrote:I have been playing C&C Tiberium Wars, and the alien species has a mothership. Blizzard tends to rip off don't they?
Before you spout comments like that ask yourself the following:

- How long has SC2 been in development.
- And when was C&C3 released.

With that said I doubt Blizzard took nor did they need to take any creative liberties from C&C3. :roll:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

It's been corrected.
My Steam Screenshots

Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

StarBound wrote:It's been corrected.
Hmmm...
StarBound wrote:*Edit* Corrected a typo worst than if Zuma became president.
Ha ha! :lol: And worst should actually be worse, although the grammar still wouldn't sound right even if it was. :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.starcraftwire.net/forums/sho ... php?t=1638
Breaking News: Jim Raynor and Kerrigan Auditions
We have received heads up from a couple of agencies informing us that the voice acting role of Jim Raynor and Kerrigan the Queen of Blades are now up for grabs. It seems the Jim Raynor voice actor used in the Starcraft II cinematic and in the in-game single player demonstrations was a placeholder; or the creative team decided at last minute to change the actor.
There is a poll up for all those who want to vote on the matter...

I say keep the originals.