help creating a shopping website.

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

help creating a shopping website.

Post by DeathStrike »

hi guys. i doing a project for college and i need to code like a "search engine" that will search the website and the database. the website is a online store. so if people search for a product then it should get listed. the website is not going LIVE( not uploading to a webserver) so you won't be able to use script to let another site like google search the site and display results.

EDIT: I can use asp.net and html code. not sure if that helps.
Last edited by DeathStrike on 11 Oct 2008, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Search a website and database.

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

It is easy,

You simply request the root/default page and then iterate through all the links on all the pages you can hit within it. You have to be carefull though as for every page you hit you have to make sure that it is not already in your list of pages you are currently working from. If it is you run the risk of creating an infinite loop, which I don't need to tell you is BAD....

Also the db does not matter as what the users are interested in is what you see on the pages. You only have to interpret what is returned in html format.

Also be carefull that you don't follow links outside of the domain the default page is in otherwise you might end up hitting the whole web before you know it.

Happy coding. Post us some code once you have some. It might be interesting.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

request the root/default page and then iterate through all the links on all the pages you can hit within it
um well u see. i don't know how to actually do that? lol. :oops:
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

hi guys i using my old thread again. do anyone know what the code would be to allow that when a user regiters on my above website that it can send them a e-mail with there username and password?
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
DeathStrike

Re: help creating a shopping website.

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi guys. i am having a problem with the SQL Code for my website. Using a Access Database. The table is the "Order" table. This table has the following fields. (InvoiceID, Username, Order_Date, TotalAmount) This is the design. (Autonumber, String,Date, Currency) Here is the code

Code: Select all

Dim datOrderDate As Date = DateString
Dim TotalAmount As Single = Session("TotalAmount")

SQLCommand.CommandText = "Insert into Order (Username, Order_Date, TotalAmount) values ('" & Session("Username") & "', #" & datOrderDate & "#," & TotalAmount & ")"
My question is what can be wrong with this statement as it gives me errors when its run.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
DeathStrike

Re: help creating a shopping website.

Post by DeathStrike »

hi guys. pls i really need help with this. i can't seem to find the error. another person's point of view can mayb help cos i mayb not looking right.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me