Kernel 2.6.27 released

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
rustypup

Kernel 2.6.27 released

Post by rustypup »

Kernel Newbies wrote:2.6.27 add a new filesystem (UBIFS) optimized for "pure" flash-based storage devices, the page-cache is now lockless, much improved Direct I/O scalability and performance, delayed allocation for ext4, multiqueue networking, an alternative hibernation implementation based on kexec/kdump, data integrity support in the block layer for devices that support it, a simple tracer called ftrace, a mmio tracer, sysprof support, extraction of all the in-kernel's firmware to /lib/firmware, XEN support for saving/restorig VMs, improved video camera support, support for the Intel wireless 5000 series and RTL8187B network cards, a new ath9k driver for the Atheros AR5008 and AR9001 family of chipsets, more new drivers, improved support for others and many other improvements and fixes.

64bit XEN :D
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: Kernel 2.6.27 released

Post by Hman »

Yay!

Wait, what?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
spearone

Post by spearone »

So this new "filesystem (UBIFS) optimized for "pure" flash-based storage devices" will work well for things like EEE pC?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KN Article Link wrote:UBIFS is a new filesystem designed to work with flash devices, developed by Nokia with help of the University of Szeged. It's important to understand that UBIFS is very different to any traditional filesystem: UBIFS does not work with block based devices, but pure flash based devices, handled by the MTD subsystem in Linux. Hence, UBIFS does not work with what many people considers flash devices like flash-based hard drives, SD cards, USB sticks, etc; because those devices use a block device emulation layer called FTL (Flash Translation Layer) that make they look like traditional block-based storage devices to the outside world. UBIFS instead is designed to work with flash devices that do not have a block device emulation layer and that are handled by the MTD subsystem and present themselves to userspace as MTD devices.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
spearone

Post by spearone »

Ah. I see.