ADSL question

Network problem solving and tweaks
anthrax

ADSL question

Post by anthrax »

In a form which I have to fax through they ask : "Do you require the installation and support of a PPPoE software client" "yes or no"

What is it and whould i have to pay more for it
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

Its an Linux protocol...
If you have windows then you dont need it.
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
anthrax

Post by anthrax »

O, ok thanx alot. :lol:
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

So I was right :)

Well at least I knew you didn't need it, didn't know it was a Linux protocol though...
Dom

Post by Dom »

With our ADSL setup, we use PPPoE... we have 3 PC's sharing the connection (and not running Linux either).

But yeah, if you're using the ADSL on a single machine, then PPPoE isn't necessary (it stands for Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet.) As can be seen from the name, it's only any use when you have 2 or more PC's sharing an ADSL connection (and then of course you'd be needing a broadband router, unless you make use of ICS.)
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
anthrax

Post by anthrax »

is it possible for me to install PPPoE or must it be a telkom guy because I have 3 pc that will have to share the connection and I already faxed the form through
Dom

Post by Dom »

Well, it wasn't too tough to set up PPPoE on our network, because our hardware firewall/broadband router (it does both) simply has an option for you to select what connection type you want to use for the DSL setup.

It was just a matter of selecting PPPoE and putting the username and password in place.

To be honest, I don't know the in's and out's of setting up PPPoE beyond that... :?

As I said though, you could also just link one of the PC's to the ADSL connection, and then use ICS.
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

I'm wanting to go the adsl route now, cos my isdn costs me about R1200 a month.
What isp's are you guys using?
And what is the best/cheapest one atm?

I see telkom are offering a free modem if you sign up for 24 mnths, you guys reckon thats a good deal?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

The best thing is to get a adsl router instead of the modem. Just plug it into your network, set up your networking and you're all set. No need for software clients.

I'm pretty happy with Telkom as my ISP Screeper. I would stay away from MWEB. They are too congested.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

It's like YOda says, ADSL router and away you go. We run 9 units at work through a hub with no problems. We use Hetzner, they are excellent.