Which Font is the Right Font?

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
IOIIOOIO

Which Font is the Right Font?

Post by IOIIOOIO »

I'm often faced with the question of which font to use. The problem is I don't know the first thing about typography so to make an educated decision and convince a client that it is the right one can be difficult.

I would also like to learn how to make my own fonts as well as manipulating fonts for logos... the important part is learning how to do it right so that even the pros can't find fault.

So what is your opinion and why?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Which Font is the Right Font?

Post by Tribble »

I teach presentation design and business writing. For us the best font to use is the one that is clearest to read. Arial and other straight up and down fonts - without serifs - are the best. They are easy on the eye and each letter is clear. We also do not allow all CAPS as certain letters look similar in Capital form e.g. G C, EF, QO. Underlining is also a no no as it messes with the clarity of the letters. you get my point?

One thing - if the client has a corporate font - then you should use that, provided it isn't terrible.

My opinion only
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Always Comic Sans MS, 12pt. No matter what the context. Hope that helps.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Futura and Eras are pretty nice and clean.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Stuart wrote:Always Comic Sans MS, 12pt. No matter what the context. Hope that helps.
Did not possible think you could be that evil :twisted:
IOIIOOIO

Post by IOIIOOIO »

@ Stuart. LOL. I'm not that stupid.

@Tribble.

Thanks for the pointers at least I can give a good reason other than "thats what they all use". lol.

I'm interested in doing a typography course, I would really like to learn how to create a font from scratch. So as to gain a better understanding.

I don't have a matric and I'm in Durban, Hillcrest to be specific, could you recommend a class?
IOIIOOIO

Post by IOIIOOIO »

Scuse the double post.

Tribble, are there any specific rules/guidelines for logo typeface? For instance using all-caps or underlining, do the same rules apply? Also, I usually convert to paths and then manipulate one or two letters to make it unique, but I often wonder if what I'm doing isn't blasphemy...
"When the going gets weird the weird turn pro." - Raoul Duke
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Alright so... I did design as a subject at my previous school and what we were taught is that slapping a font into a design will hardly ever work and almost always look like ****.... The way to go about getting the perfect font is to eliminate and select a range of fonts you could possibly use before desinging the logo/flyer/poster/whatever ur designing.

Whilst Designing the graphic, you must plan it out and choose where you are going to have your logo/text and try to design around one of the specific fonts you used, constantly placing the text into the desired location to see if it works or if not and if not what you can do to it to make it work. Also make sure the font is legible (easy to read) where you have placed it with the designs you have placed behind it/around it.

I hope this makes sense even though it seems pretty useless and vague... it helps a lot. Just remember - Your font is everything when it comes down to graphic design when you can't just slap a logo on or some text on once you're finished with the whole design.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

IOIIOOIO wrote:Scuse the double post.

Tribble, are there any specific rules/guidelines for logo typeface? For instance using all-caps or underlining, do the same rules apply? Also, I usually convert to paths and then manipulate one or two letters to make it unique, but I often wonder if what I'm doing isn't blasphemy...
Nope - the only rule is that it must be clear. We often take a font that we like - convert to curves and then manipulate it. It must be perfect. No flaw is allowed. You must be able to zoom in to the extreme and it must look good.

And like inf3ct10n says, place the logo in the places it would go on a letter head, business card, presentation, etc to make sure it looks good there. Not much worse than a cool logo that looks stupid on a letterhead. Also - try and make it unique. Look at the logos around you - on the way to work, and make sure you are not using them as inspiration. It is amazing what our subconscious will let us believe is our own creation.
IOIIOOIO

Post by IOIIOOIO »

Thanks for the tips.

Another font that a lot of people seem to recommend is Helvetica. It's also a clean font like Arial 'cept the top of the "t" for instance isn't cut off at an angle.

Intec is offering a certificate in Advertising and Graphic design. If you can skip the Software it's relatively cheap and at Intec you only require a Grade 10.

That should look good on the CV methinks... just gotta make sure I ace it. *holds thumbs*
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Just make sure the course is an accredited one (with SAQA). Check the credentials - don't believe what they tell you.

I have been training students who have all done the ICDL - and they know practically nothing. Was a waste of time in my opinion.
IOIIOOIO

Post by IOIIOOIO »

Heads up: As it turns out they are not registered with SAQA.

However I do still feel that right now it suits my personal needs. I don't have a matric and I'm working full time (Signage). I don't think it will teach me much more than I already know, it's really just for the certificate to add to my CV. I will follow it up with a certificate in Multimedia Stills.

The two courses should tide me over until I qualify for a maturity exemption.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Well good luck and hope the courses are relevant and interesting.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Just came across this on the interwebs...

Top 7 fonts used by professionals in graphic design

:wink:
IOIIOOIO

Post by IOIIOOIO »

^ Interesting that Arial doesn't even register. It's definitely used a lot here in SA. I wonder why that is? Are there possibly different U.S.A/UK standards?