Ubuntu Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.10

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

supertwit wrote:Do you know of any local download sites for Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 1.7?
mmm, dont know of any, but if you can get to either Lonehill, after hours or in Centurion office hours, then I can give you a copy ..

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

I'm having problems installing Ubuntu, will will take a pic of the errors im getting.

Hardware specs in my sig, but im using a 10gig HDD.

Do you think the ISO has errors or maybe the HDD.

Hmm will have to check this.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

most likely the ISO. Although the drive could have errors aswell. Try download a drive inspect program from the HDD's manufacturers site, like Seagate has Seatools, Western Digital have Data LifeGuard
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:most likely the ISO. Although the drive could have errors aswell. Try download a drive inspect program from the HDD's manufacturers site, like Seagate has Seatools, Western Digital have Data LifeGuard
Thanks , yea it was the ISO, got it on a 10gig hdd alot to learn IMO
fourtyseven

wvstream and wvdial installation

Post by fourtyseven »

can someone please tell me how to install wvstream and wvdial in Ubuntu. I found out how to do it in another forum but when I try I get the following error:"checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
Obv wvstream has to be compiled first but I cant get it right. What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts?
Im new to Linux and I really want to get rid of Bill and Vista but I need to get my Vodacom modem working first. Apparently I have to install wvstream and wvdial first though.
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

PhReaK_K wrote:Well first you need to get connected. The Way I connect is with Vodafone 3G E220 Usb.

to get connected with that you need to use "wvdial".

First off you need to open the terminal enter " sudo gedit " edit the /etc/wvdial.conf file to the following

Code: Select all

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99***1#
ISDN = 0
Username = username
Dial Command = ATDT
Password = password
Baud = 460800

[Dialer hsdpa]
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
once that is done, Make sure that your PC actually sees the device, It should pick it up as some removable storage device. Once you are sure that is working, check your wvconfig, by opening Terminal, type " sudo wvdialconf " if there is anything wrong you will be told. Also if it does not pick up the modem , unplug it and plug back in.

Then to get connected go to terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo wvdial hsdpa
it should give you a couple of IP adresses. ( DNS and such) and there you are connected.
To disconnect press ( Ctrl + "C" ).
hope it helps

fourtyseven

Post by fourtyseven »

Thanks dude I have been using your information but Im not having problems with my modem yet.

To quote you "to get connected with that you need to use "wvdial".

thats where Im having problems. I want to install wvdial but before I can do that I must install wvstreams. Its wvstreams that is giving me a headache right now. how do i install it?
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

wow, Are you using Ubuntu 7.10 ??
It should be there already ??

fourtyseven

Post by fourtyseven »

Im using Ubuntu 7.10 and it doesnt have wvdial or wvstream installed. I was on the ubuntu forums and found that i can use gnome-ppp. however, when i try to install gnome-ppp i get a compiler error telling me it cannot create executables. I posted it in a previous post.
any ideas anyone?
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

do you have internet connection ??

fourtyseven

Post by fourtyseven »

I have a machine running vista which is connected to the net. My laptop has ubuntu on it which i want to connect using my huawei e22o usb modem.

could u maybe run through the whole procedure from beginning to end using baby steps? Im so confused right now as everyone seems to have an opinion on this yet Im still unable to get things working.
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

where do you live ??

fourtyseven

Post by fourtyseven »

nelspruit
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

oh..
damn..
I still cannot understeand why you wanna install or try to install wvdial.
when you type in the teminal
wvdial

what happens ??

fourtyseven

Post by fourtyseven »

OK lets start from the beginning again. I have a Huawei e220 usb modem from vadacom. I have recently discovered Ubuntu and would like to get rid of Microsoft completely at some point. The only thing stopping me is that I cant get connected to the internet while in Linux. After trying to get it working on my own but not succeeding, I came on here and found your explanation detailing the editing of wvdial.conf etc.
I wasnt aware of wvdial so i tried to do what you said but when I tried to configure it Ubuntu told me that it could not find the file. I then downloaded it an have now managed to install it etc. I have now edited the wvdial.conf file with necessary entries. My problem now is that the modem is not responding. I keep getting the following after running the command sudo wvdial hsdpa:
wvdial: Internet dialer version 1.56
cannot get information from serial port
initializing modem
sending: ATZ
sending: ATQ0
Re-sending: ATZ
modem is not responding

Any thoughts? I have also noticed that when the modem tries to connect when running in windows, it dials the number *99***16# as opposed to *99***1#. I changed its entry in the wvdial.conf file but it hasnt made any difference.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

jhmac77's question about wvdial has been split off here.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
rustypup

Re: Ubuntu Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.10

Post by rustypup »

Ultimate 1.9, (8.04 - Hardy Heron, 2.6.24-21), is out... for anyone looking to save on time, effort and bandwidth, this is the complete ubuntu iso... (1.7GB)

(no 1.9 vids yet - this would be 1.8 )

also out is the latest xVM from sun, which is an excellent free virtualisation tool... (i've been fiddling with virtualbox for a bit now and it's quick... very quick...) (33MB)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Fish_man

Re: Ubuntu Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.10

Post by Fish_man »

ok who has a copy they wanna post too me !!!! i really dont want to download a 1.7GB file !!!