How To: Run Your XP Partition In Linux

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
WAJeff

How To: Run Your XP Partition In Linux

Post by WAJeff »

Before we even install VMWare or do anything else you need to be dual booting Linux and a Windows OS. Im booting Ubuntu, XP and Vista. I'll show you how to boot into XP within Linux. I havnt played around much using a Vista VM (Virtual machine). If I decide to use Vista, I'll restart and boot into it purely because running it as a VM slows my computer down so much I cant do anything

OK, so here we go. Its a pretty long guide, so bear with me

Firstly, run this command in Terminal

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install build-essential
Then install VMWare Server:

System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager

Search for vmware. You'll need to tick the following:

vmware-server
vmware-server-kernel-modules
vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.22-14

Tick them for installation. Its about an 80mb file. Make sure no other package managers are running while its downloading and compiling. If you have a slow line, now would be a good time to make some coffee

Once its downloaded it will compile VMWare for you. I have tried to install Vmware myself, but I keep getting errors, the way Im doing the guide worked first time for me

Installation done

You will see a link to VMWare here, dont click it
Applications>System Tools>VMWare Server Console

Rather open Terminal and type in

gksudo vmware
Now that Vmware is open, its time to get configuring.
The first thing that will open after opening Vmware is a window

Make sure its on Local Host and click connect

1) Click Create a New Virtual Machine, Next, Custom, Next
2) Choose the OS (Im using XP), Next
3) Enter a name and location, I kept the defaults, Next
4) CPU configuration. Im using one, for each OS. You can play around with this one and see what suites you. It all depends on which OS you going to be using more. Linux or the VM
5) Access rights. Choose whichever suites you. Makes no difference
6) Allocate RAM for the VM. Im using 512mb, depends on what apps you going to be running in the VM, and how much RAM is in your rig
7) Network Connections. Use NAT, so both OS's can use your current connection. Its a lot less configuring in the long run
8) Use BusLogic as your SCSI adaptor
9) Choose Physical disk – this is important!
10) Chose which drive you want to boot into. My XP install is sitting on hdb1. You can check this by going to Places>Computer and looking in the drives to see which one is which
11) Choose a filename, default works, and hit finish

Now you have to boot into XP and setup a hardware profile for Vmware

Start>Control Panel>System

From here on, I got really lost, so Im just going to quote this part
Blackmh wrote:Now reboot into Windows and set up another hardware profile for Vmware.
Start-> Control Panel-> System, click on Hardware tab and Hardware profiles. You will find Profile 1 (Current), highlight it and click Copy, give it new name, Vmware for instance and move it up.While at Hardware tab in System properties, you can disable driver signing.
1) One more thing to do. As you may know, work in Vmware machines is easier with Vmware tools. I took Vmware tools installation out of Vmware Server to spare you of downloading 100 MB + file and you can download it here. Unpack archive and put it somewhere on Windows partition.”
2) While you are in Windows I recommend you install the SCSI drivers for the virtual SCSI controller that VMware uses. This is necessary because VMware acts as a virtual computer with virtual hardware. Windows has the drivers it needs to operate on your system but by running it in VMware you are virtually unplugging your HD and plugging it into a computer with different hardware specs. This can pose a problem when Windows can not find drivers to access the HD (since VMware uses a SCSI controller) and you will be presented with a BSOD error 0×0000007 on startup. You can either follow the MS Knowledge Database and try to work around this problem (I’ve seen little success) or you can follow this method:
3) 1) Download the Vmware SCSI drivers here

Once the drivers are installed click finish and reboot into Linux

Run Vmware again

gksudo vmware
You should see your previous VM that we semi-configured earlier. Select it
NOTE: Before starting your VM, make sure that the GRUB boot loader timeout is NOT set to 0 seconds You can change it by going to /boot/grub/menu.lst and editing the timeout value. It should look something like this

## timeout sec 
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry 
# (normally the first entry defined). 
timeout		10 
If its sitting on 0 seconds, you will probably boot into Linux again, which reminds me.... for whatever reason you want to, DO NOT VIRTUALISE YOUR CURRENT LINUX OS it will corrupt itself

If everything is correct with your VM, its time to Power on
Once you've clicked Power on this VM, you are given with two options that I've seen.
Either, choosing which hardware profile to boot into, or your bootup screen will hang. If this happens, you will have to restart your machine, boot into XP and create a boot image. I've pulled a boot disk image where I read my first guide off, and where most of this guide comes from. Its a Windows XP Pro SP2 boot disk, so if you planning on running another OS you gonna have to Google on how to make one. Download it here. Save the file to disk, and remember where you put it. Then in Vmware, under devices, you should see CD-ROM, or something similar, double click it. Under connection, tick Use ISO Image and direct it to where you saved the boot disk. Then click on OK. I've found that if my BIOS is setup to boot from CD first, before your HDD, you will be able to boot into XP fine.

So after all that, took me about 2 hours, and thats with following a pretty complicated guide I got it to work.
Once booted into XP, it will most probably ask you to reactivate your copy of Windows again and you will get a pill up of Found New Hardware wizards, ignore all of them. Now you need to run the Vmware tools rar we downloaded earlier and it will pick up all your virtual hardware. Then you can reboot the VM and start having fun
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Thanks for the write up!!!!!! will do it when i have time
thefha

UBUNTU not running on my Machine

Post by thefha »

Hi i am have a problem with my Ubuntu 5.x
i am running dual boot XP SP2 and Ubuntu 5.x my ubuntu does not want to startup, after installing it, it keeps on sayin finishing startup configuration.

I want to know can i be able to remove it without affeecting my XP or can i be able to upgrade ubuntu with any linux e.g Mandrake or Red Hat?
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Yes u can.......boot into XP Open up Partition Magic (or similar tool) and than just format the Linux partition and the swap partition to NTFS
WAJeff

Re: UBUNTU not running on my Machine

Post by WAJeff »

thefha wrote:Hi i am have a problem with my Ubuntu 5.x
i am running dual boot XP SP2 and Ubuntu 5.x my ubuntu does not want to startup, after installing it, it keeps on sayin finishing startup configuration.

I want to know can i be able to remove it without affeecting my XP or can i be able to upgrade ubuntu with any linux e.g Mandrake or Red Hat?
If you still want Linux on your machine, why not trying a fresh install... but with a newer version of Ubuntu
Jane

Post by Jane »

Fish_man wrote:Yes u can.......boot into XP Open up Partition Magic (or similar tool) and than just format the Linux partition and the swap partition to NTFS
Remember to format your master boot record because GRUB will no longer exist and you won't be able to get into XP otherwise. Alternatively, install linux onto the newly formatted partition.
thefha

Post by thefha »

Thanks Jane, that was going to be my next Question.
Thanks Fish_man andg0ldback for your advices
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

cool man no worries, get Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Haron installed on there
Fish_man

Re: How To: Run Your XP Partition In Linux

Post by Fish_man »

ok goldie , here is my problem
Then install VMWare Server:

System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager

Search for vmware. You'll need to tick the following:

vmware-server
vmware-server-kernel-modules
vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.22-14
when i search for vmare in Synaptic Package Manager i get no results ...... :(

all my 3rd party check boxes are checked in the setting repositories menu .........do i need to add a 3rd party repo ???