Webcam installation on Ubuntu (Walkthrough)

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
AlphA

Webcam installation on Ubuntu (Walkthrough)

Post by AlphA »

I bought a Logitech E2500 webcam about 2 months ago but never bothered using it. Eventually installed it tonight.

Found a nice walkthrough - thought some of you might find it useful.

Check out here
Last edited by AlphA on 04 Sep 2008, 17:23, edited 2 times in total.
shiv

Re: Logtech E2500 on Ubuntu (Walkthrough)

Post by shiv »

LOL must go through all that... ;-)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Shweet!!!
Thanks dude!!! I also bought a webcam a while back, and missioned for a couple of solid hours to get the thing installed :lol: :lol:

Shot for the linkage
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

shiv --> If you drove a car where you never have to open the hood and get some grease on your hands, you would never learn anything about how cars work. Also, you cant knock Linux because Logitech is so "anti-Linux"....and makes life so difficult for us *nix users. And just FYI, the webcam works MUCH better on Linux than it does on Windows. Its choppy and laggy on Windows...none of that on Linux.

g0ldback --> No probs man - Worked like a charm for me. I just wrote my own little shell script to change the way skype is called and loads at startup.
shiv

Post by shiv »

AlphA wrote:shiv --> If you drove a car where you never have to open the hood and get some grease on your hands, you would never learn anything about how cars work. Also, you cant knock Linux because Logitech is so "anti-Linux"....and makes life so difficult for us *nix users. And just FYI, the webcam works MUCH better on Linux than it does on Windows. Its choppy and laggy on Windows...none of that on Linux.
Using Linux sometimes, it's as if you must get your hands dirty in order to get some things to work.
Which is unnecessary and a total waste of time.
Not to say Linux has horrible hardware support though....PCLinuxOS detected everything and installed them correctly (I wonder if the webcam would've worked instantly here??).

Maybe this webcam works better under Linux.
I did read the info you posted, and you had to do quite some "tricks" in order for the webcam to work properly (which means the webcam wouldn't have worked properly initially).
In Windows, I would double click the installer, wait a few seconds, and bang, installed and ready to use.
And there are plenty of ways to configure webcams, using a GUI, not some config file hacking.

I wasn't bashing Linux, didn't you see the smiley??
1rr3t4t3d

Re: Logitech E2500 on Ubuntu (Walkthrough)

Post by 1rr3t4t3d »

shiv wrote:Using Linux sometimes, it's as if you must get your hands dirty in order to get some things to work.
when will people get it, there is different kinds of user all over the world. you get people that will go to increadable connection and buy a pc there with its warranty and no fuss. then you get people that build their own pc's. There is people e that buy Hyundai and and it works ( for them ) perfectly and on the other hand you get people that buy a 2nd hand VW and build it up, getting their hands dirty and they would have it no other way. Saying that it is unnecessary and a total wast of time is a indication of your ignorance.

You don't have to use Linux, hell use windows you are happy there and there is nothing wrong with that. why you even felt the need to mention anything after this topic has been discussed a million times is also beyond me. now go flame somewhere else. ( if it was a flame, if not .. shhht)

PS. @AlphA, thank you for opening a new thread for a question I posted 10 minutes before you posted this one ( HERE .. odd :?: .

But great help will try it tonight, hopefully it will work and me a Foo-mang in the Philippines can have some unmentionable cam fun .. he he ( joke)
Even Congregate thinks I am 1337
shiv

Post by shiv »

1rr3t4t3d wrote:
shiv wrote:Using Linux sometimes, it's as if you must get your hands dirty in order to get some things to work.
when will people get it, there is different kinds of user all over the world. you get people that will go to increadable connection and buy a pc there with its warranty and no fuss. then you get people that build their own pc's. There is people e that buy Hyundai and and it works ( for them ) perfectly and on the other hand you get people that buy a 2nd hand VW and build it up, getting their hands dirty and they would have it no other way. Saying that it is unnecessary and a total wast of time is a indication of your ignorance.

You don't have to use Linux, hell use windows you are happy there and there is nothing wrong with that. why you even felt the need to mention anything after this topic has been discussed a million times is also beyond me. now go flame somewhere else. ( if it was a flame, if not .. shhht)

PS. @AlphA, thank you for opening a new thread for a question I posted 10 minutes before you posted this one ( HERE .. odd :?: .

But great help will try it tonight, hopefully it will work and me a Foo-mang in the Philippines can have some unmentionable cam fun .. he he ( joke)
When people say that Linux is ready for the desktop, just look at this (and thousand's of other posts like this on the net) and you will see why these people are talking nonsense.
I will always build up my own PC, I like powerful hardware.
It's just that getting the hardware to work should not be a pain in the butt.
'nuf said. :mrgreen:
1rr3t4t3d

Post by 1rr3t4t3d »

your not seeing my point AT ALL..
The fact that getting the hardware working being such a "pain" is exactly what draws alot of linux users to it. I am not saying people that like to build their own PC like the trouble of linux. I am sayin there is different kind of people.
shiv wrote:'nuf said. :mrgreen:
true dat .. this can go on for a years and years ..
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Oh FFS
Cant we just have ONE thread with a Linux vs. Windows debate?!
And WHY... all the damn time to different OS users have to say which one is better, example - Windows is better than Linux, Linux is better than Windows

Just get over it, some people like Windows
Others like Linux
Some people like KFC
Others Steers

See my point? Its boring now
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

g0ldback - Agreed.

In case you guys have not noticed, I have excluded myself from all past Linux VS Windows threads....and really didnt intend for this one to become one of those.

Bottom line an OS is only as "easy and painless" as hardware vendors make it. If every hadware vendor make their hardware Linux certified and supplied with Linux drivers.......it would'nt be such a pain in the a$$. In my opinion, getting unsupported hardware to work (especially Logitech stuff) is a slap in the face to the vendor ;-)
shiv

Post by shiv »

AlphA wrote:g0ldback - Agreed.

In case you guys have not noticed, I have excluded myself from all past Linux VS Windows threads....and really didnt intend for this one to become one of those.

Bottom line an OS is only as "easy and painless" as hardware vendors make it. If every hadware vendor make their hardware Linux certified and supplied with Linux drivers.......it would'nt be such a pain in the a$$. In my opinion, getting unsupported hardware to work (especially Logitech stuff) is a slap in the face to the vendor ;-)
Agreed!!!!! :mrgreen:
1rr3t4t3d

Post by 1rr3t4t3d »

@ AlphA..

so I tested it last nite, took me 10 mins and I was up and running.. Great walkthrough ..
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Good stuff - glad to have assisted somehow ;-)

Just out of interest, what is the model name of your webcam?
1rr3t4t3d

Post by 1rr3t4t3d »

Th one I am using is a Genius videoCAM GE1100 , but that gspcav driver for webcams, support about a zillion webcams. ;)
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Cool - so this walkthrough is not Logitech specific.

I should edit the subject of this thread - thanks man.