CCFL Case Lighting

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Xiphan

CCFL Case Lighting

Post by Xiphan »

Sup everyone,

I want to get a CCFL light for my new case and was just wondering which brands I should stay away from seeing as though my last CCFL lived a very short life.

I came across VIZO whilst browsing Sybaritic's store and was wondering if anyone else has used them and if they are any good and as bright as they claim to be? Originally I was considering one from Thermaltake but now I'm not too sure. I'm also not interested in the sound activation thing that Thermaltake has.

VIZO:
The VIZO does look brighter than the ThermalTake below, hmmm...

Thermaltake:
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: CCFL Case Lighting

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I don't think i'd trust CCFLs unless they came from a big name company like A.C. Ryan, but that's just me ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Rumour has it that they have a habit of exploding although i've only hear of 1 or 2 examples, so i may just call BS on this :shock:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:Rumour has it that they have a habit of exploding although i've only hear of 1 or 2 examples, so i may just call BS on this :shock:
No no, that's true. The inverters that CCFLs use are usually poorly contructed/designed, which is why i said that if if were to use CCFLs (which is unlikely in the first place), i'd use well known stuff, like A.C. Ryan.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Prime wrote:Rumour has it that they have a habit of exploding although i've only hear of 1 or 2 examples, so i may just call BS on this :shock:
No no, that's true. The inverters that CCFLs use are usually poorly contructed/designed, which is why i said that if if were to use CCFLs (which is unlikely in the first place), i'd use well known stuff, like A.C. Ryan.
Thats quite disturbing.

Anyway the right use of led's or EL wire can probably achieve the same effect. Although I'm not sure I'd trust EL wire inverters either. :?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, i stay away from EL too.

LEDs are the best thing you can use for case lighting IMO. You can have the exact amount of light you want, exactly where you want it.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I've used 4x ViZo CCFL's in my case, with my PC being on pretty much all the time and I havnt had any problems...

But like Ett says, I have have seen examples of the inverters going pop... and then you can gave goodbye to your PC :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

g0ldback wrote:I've used 4x ViZo CCFL's in my case, with my PC being on pretty much all the time and I havnt had any problems...

But like Ett says, I have have seen examples of the inverters going pop... and then you can gave goodbye to your PC :?
someone on the forums had it happen to them years back. i have a set of flexiglows but i haven't used them in ages.

Go with LED's 8)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I'm moving this to the Modding section; this discussion seems more appropriate there.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I don't think i'd trust CCFLs unless they came from a big name company like A.C. Ryan, but that's just me ;)
Well A.C. Ryan has the following one, not to mention they come in different sizes, but how much would it cost me, and who supplies them in SA, or would I have to import?

The reason I was considering the ViZo is because I have a "gift" voucher with Sybaritic to buy something and the ViZo Starlet Dual CCFL posted in my previous post only costs R100. Seeing as though g0ldback hasn't had any problems I think I'll try my luck with them as well...

Thanks for all the input guys. ;)
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

did some one say LEDs!!! :P
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xiphan wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I don't think i'd trust CCFLs unless they came from a big name company like A.C. Ryan, but that's just me ;)
Well A.C. Ryan has the following one, not to mention they come in different sizes, but how much would it cost me, and who supplies them in SA, or would I have to import?
You'll have to import.

Performance-pcs.com
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Dude those Vizo ones are great. I had some a while ago. They were pretty bright, thin, and came as 2 per package. And they are cheap. i think.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

WiK1d wrote:Dude those Vizo ones are great. I had some a while ago. They were pretty bright, thin, and came as 2 per package. And they are cheap. i think.
The post I was hoping for! :P The ViZos are cheap, the blue one I want to get is R100 from Sybaritic. Now to just finalise the transaction. :)

@DJV: Thanks for the advice, but like I said I have a voucher on Sybaritic I need to use so I'll just get the ViZo instead. ;)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xiphan wrote:@DJV: Thanks for the advice, but like I said I have a voucher on Sybaritic I need to use so I'll just get the ViZo instead. ;)
Go for it dude :)

Wik is very experienced in this stuff so i'd trust his advice any day :)
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Ok order's placed, now I wait. Thanks are in order to Wik and DJV, so ya, shot guys! ;)