Some new pics by OnlyOne

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Some new pics by OnlyOne

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

This is an Orc from Warcraft...

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

James Hetfield of Metallica

Superman

Batman

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

Really awesome, well done. Loving the coloured James Hetfield one.
AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Shockingly good work. Good illustrations. You have a nice way of conveying your image BUT

Work on proportions ;)

Edit - Sorry I forgot all I wanted to say.

You're stylazation is nice :) Slightly American/Western but nice. I do still believe your proportions need work ;) The use of colour is decent, not spectacular and not bad.

Practice to veer away from flat images such as profiles, front and side as interesting views make a form more dynamic feeling although they're more difficult to produce, I'd suggest doing some perspective practising if you haven't already just for a better 3d perception :)

Keep up the work bud ;)

Second Edit - The superhero ones... Generally good use of line. BUT

Look at your images... Now look at one flipped horizontally :)

Always a great way to tell how your pics look. If you can flip it and it looks ok, it's a great pic, BUT I guess you're right handed hey? :) It's a problem we suffer with, Most people draw with their wrist or elbow, after some training you can draw with your should. I can now produce pretty perfectly straight lines with minimal curvature over 30cm or so.

And lastly, the shading... What tool were you using? Try using selections to get accuracy on the outlines cause atm we can see you were using a soft round brush so it's like

[Line] [Light] [Dark] [Light]

But awesome start bud :)

Third Edit...

Here's what I mean wrt the props, look at the "bone structure" of this guy...

Yes it's stylized but that's just off ;) See what I mean? The second elbow also doesn't work :P

Try practicing from still life + ref material to get your skills sharp :)
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Thanks for the tips.. admittedly the super hero ones aren't that great - I used to draw all the time but kinda lost interest a few years back and now want to get back into the habit again... also, the colouring is something I'd never tried out before, after doing the super hero pics I figured out how to do more subtle shading and highlights and use different brushes rather than the default soft photoshop brush...

I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Awesome :) I hope to see more of your work :) It's quite different.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

great stuff!

The Metalica guy totally kicks bottom!
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Here's a new one

infernox

Post by infernox »

i like your style and keep it that way, just watch out for line weights. use thinner lines in some places unless you want chunky lines, but then make sure the adience knows your using them for a reason as part of your style.

also, if you doing these in photoshop etc. use your dodge and burn tools for some extra fun on the lines and colours.

just make sure if your drawing digitally that you make the outlines on a seperate layer.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

All I can say is

Wow, ignoring the bottom bit, it's freaking SPECTACULAR!
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I think the imperfection of the facial lines makes it authentic. The bottom third of the face gives it "stature".

I like.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

I34z1k wrote:All I can say is

[img]woweeext0.jpg[/img]

Wow, ignoring the bottom bit, it's freaking SPECTACULAR!
yeah, the bottom bit looks like she just had a stroke.

not cool.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Thanks...

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Onlyone, individual opinions on any art will be always be diverse and as conflicting as Russia loosing territories. Pay no heed and just let the carbon (or whatever mediums you use) keep scraping the paper.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Yes but an opinion comparing a piece of work to looking like the "person" just had a stroke is not constructive in any way.

PaperCut - How would you like it somebody said one of your designs looks like a rabid dog just puked on the page?

@ OnlyOne. _ I love the style. Its very dramatic
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Sojourn wrote:Onlyone, individual opinions on any art will be always be diverse and as conflicting as Russia loosing territories. Pay no heed and just let the carbon (or whatever mediums you use) keep scraping the paper.
No worries, I appreciate the compliments and constructive criticism :)

I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I want moar :) Hahaha

OOK, the new Gretel :P
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Some new pics by OnlyOne

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

This one isn't done yet - want to colour it and redo the chest and neckpiece as they're not quite right...

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

no man ! post completed stuffs ! I cant copy this now, can I ?? :P
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

This one is a little more complete :)

Struggling a bit with getting the shiny parts 100% but I think this looks okay for now...

PaperCut

Re:

Post by PaperCut »

maxxis wrote:PaperCut - How would you like it somebody said one of your designs looks like a rabid dog just puked on the page?
To be honest, that's more or less the kinda reviews I got for my first web site, that's why I had to revamp it. Quick. I appreciate people's honesty when it comes to my designs and understand that we cannot all see the same thing in the same way.

What would I do?? It's more like what did I do?...

I know I'm not 100% perfect when it comes to design and stuff (I don't think anyone is really) which is why I think what OOK is doing is a great initiative so that he can become a better artist.
We're all trying to get better at designing things every day. Same applies to you maxxis. You can't tell me you've never designed something and had somebody tell you it wasn't perfect. If that's never happened to you, then bigup. You have my utmost respect.

If he (OOK) didn't want our comments or opnions, I don't think he would have created this thread and kept it alive.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings by saying what I did.

:|
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I figured I'd give Superman some more attention - the first one didn't look too good... this one, in my opion, at least is an improvement...

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

my comments( use 'em/don't use em )

I find the proportions off eg. darth's torso is only slightly larger than his arm, supe's head is a bit too large.
Are you drawing those little helper skeletons before you start? cos that would help proportions in a big way.

Shading is ok, but you might want to use the eraser tool, to get sharp points in the shadows. for example, in supe's left inner shoulder join, there is a large circular shadow that should not be there made by a circular brush, to fix it, use a round eraser to make the shadow pointy.

1 thing about supe's, the cloak showing through between his arms and torso is too bright, it would be quite dark as it is in a very shadowy area.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken