RSS feeds and google

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
po10cy

RSS feeds and google

Post by po10cy »

Howsit ppl

i have a question i was wondering about, if I use an rss feed, say for example from a surfing site, to populate a page on my own site with surf reports.

if someone searches in google for a surf report, would my site be listed in the results with that rss feeds info drawing them to my site, or would only the original site with the rss feed be listed?

basically, must you use content you have created to draw google results to your site or can rss feeds also draw visitors?

I know i read that if you copy other articles and paste them to your site its illegal and google ignores similar content, but an rss feed wont be copying because its directly drawing that info from the source site..

thanks alot

Martin
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
WAJeff

Re: RSS feeds and google

Post by WAJeff »

Spam spam spam spam
WOOHOO!!! I r hijacking teh po10cy's thread :lol:

Anyway dude, I dont see why it should be a problem, and if the feeds are on your page Google should pick it up
Besides, doesnt Google sort its pages (after advertising) in hit order or something?
Thats the best I can do dude...
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

no. i work for a company that deals with google. Google sends out spiders or bots to get info about pages. it ranks these pages using a PR(Page Rank) scale. 0-10

Your website would be listed depending on your Page Rank and the relavence to the terms seache for. So if you have that RSS feed and you search for it. then Google will place your page in the list. but your position in that list is determaind by you PR.

Try reading bout PR here if you interested. http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/

If you use firefox you can find out a websites PR Rank with this add on.
http://www.quirk.biz/searchstatus

There are sites you can go to if you don't have firefox. but i still googling for 1 that works now. lol

EDIT:Found 1. try this. not sure how good or true it is tho.

http://www.urltrends.com/
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

thanks for the response guys, page rank and all that im fine with, i was just curious how google deals with multiple content on multiple sites thats identicle, if rss feeds are ignored in search except for the origin of the rss feed.

tnx
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

oh that i not sure off. :?
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU