For All Star Wars Fans...

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Memphis_Raines

For All Star Wars Fans...

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Hello all

If any of you are Star Wars fans like me the thought of owning a Light Saber may have crossed your minds. I am going to build one for myself in the next few weeks and i was wondering. Would any of you consider buying one from me if it comes out well or maybe a kit or something to build one. I would also be willing to pass on tutorials to make them as well. Bear in mind the one i plan to build wil be all metal and have working electronics. A bit like the ones they sell at parksabers.com exept you can smack things with the one i am going to make. This isn't a sales pitch to any of you just "market reasearch" if you will. Any thoughts or comments would be great.
Eleanor, don't do this to me
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Re: For All Star Wars Fans...

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:Hello all

If any of you are Star Wars fans like me the thought of owning a Light Saber may have crossed your minds. I am going to build one for myself in the next few weeks and i was wondering. Would any of you consider buying one from me if it comes out well or maybe a kit or something to build one. I would also be willing to pass on tutorials to make them as well. Bear in mind the one i plan to build wil be all metal and have working electronics. A bit like the ones they sell at parksabers.com exept you can smack things with the one i am going to make. This isn't a sales pitch to any of you just "market reasearch" if you will. Any thoughts or comments would be great.
As a starwars fan, I have one question: Why would I want a glowing tube? Not being nasty, just asking. I cant see the practicle use :tellme:
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

If it'll be able to cut through stuff like the 'real' ones then I'm interested.

I agree with Psych0.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Azgard wrote:It it'll be able to cut through stuff like the 'real' ones then I'm interested.
I doubt it, from what Ive seen there either plastic or glowing tubes that looks like durable coldcathode.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Well a lot of people duel with them and obviously the technology isn't with us for realistic enough ones to dismember arms heads and the like. the closest people got to having realistic "Star Wars" duels was broomsticks painted in the color of the saber. Then came electro lumonecent (spelling) sabers. These obviously looked real but werent at all for dueling. They would snap on impact with anything. I just basically went to the next level. I personally just want something really cool to sit on my desk but a blade is really cool to have as well. Halloween is coming up as well. By the time this thing is done i should be able to ride over the blade with a car and it still work. Also going to make a way to detach it so the hilt can sit in a stand on my desk.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Psych0_Cr1tt3r wrote: I doubt it, from what Ive seen there either plastic or glowing tubes that looks like durable coldcathode.
I know, what I meant was that if you could actually make one that did that only then would I be interested.

If it's just a glowing tube it's like a childs toy.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:Well a lot of people duel with them and obviously the technology isn't with us for realistic enough ones to dismember arms heads and the like. the closest people got to having realistic "Star Wars" duels was broomsticks painted in the color of the saber. Then came electro lumonecent (spelling) sabers. These obviously looked real but werent at all for dueling. They would snap on impact with anything. I just basically went to the next level. I personally just want something really cool to sit on my desk but a blade is really cool to have as well. Halloween is coming up as well. By the time this thing is done i should be able to ride over the blade with a car and it still work. Also going to make a way to detach it so the hilt can sit in a stand on my desk.
I guess a collectable would make sense (Comic-book-guy ;) ). A Saber hilt on my desk would look kewl, aspecially if it looked as real as those at Parks Sabers.

The Halloween thing isnt gonna stick here, South-Africa, no Holloween :lol:
(That I know of)

Dueling? :D Whatever blows your skirt up

@ Azgard
Soz man, misunderstood. I think if a real beam was logically possible, it would be mounted on a battery as large as a car. :D
And a device or mechanism that could project a beam of pure energy only a sertain lenght, wow... now that I think about it, what was Lucas smoking? :tellme:
Last edited by Psych0_Cr1tt3r on 04 Aug 2004, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

If it's just a glowing tube it's like a childs toy.
I thought at least some of you would say that. I wouldnt give a kid something like this tho.[/quote]
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

I guess a collectable would make sense (Comic-book-guy ). A Saber hilt on my desk would look kewl, aspecially if it looked as real as those at Parks Sabers.
Yes Psych0_Cr1tt3r! Dude you understand what I mean. All the more reason why I said Star Wars fans. Really nice if you are a fan.
The Halloween thing isnt gonna stick here, South-Africa, no Holloween (That I know of)
Well some clubs have Halloween partys where a lot of people get all dressed up etc. Saw a lot of Lara Crofts last year 8) But basically the reason I'm building this is because i want to learn how to do metalwork(I can build circuits already) and because i want an elabourate paperweight. If somebody wants one id be glad to help em make one or supply parts etc.

Why? Cause i can....
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:Why? Cause i can....
Thats the spirit!

btw, are those club Holloween parties anything like cosplay? :nervous:

Edit:

I guess if its hand made, then its a piece of art. So, it would have artistic value
Last edited by Psych0_Cr1tt3r on 04 Aug 2004, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Nah basically just dress up like something and get free booze and/or entrance. Corona and Doors didit last year. There was some freeky sh*t going down at doors that night. A lot of demons and things like that *shudder* Personally there is ony one place where i would like to go and dress up as something and act etc and thats greensleeves (spelling)

edit: cosplay? not sure what this is.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:edit: cosplay? not sure what this is.
It is the living terror of fat, greasy, 40 year old men dressing up as there most faviourite schoolgirls in anime series.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Ok thats not right. Damn thats sick actually. When it comes to anime and manga i am a noob. i can admit it comepletely. Havent got dstv to watch either :(

edit: you have to choose the hardest one to build out of all the parksabers. It is damn bada** tho >:)
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Heck didn't see the art sentence. Yeah it could be art. It says in a lot of references that a Jedi's Lightsaber reflects his/her personality and some are built in rememberance of a master they trained under or a clan they belonged to. Depends on plenty of things. Mine is more of a mechanical design based on Kyle Kataran's saber. After i played Jedi Knight on the very first ever Pc Format cd. I got inspired to build one. Since then i have been researching on them and the whole Religion surrounding Star Wars. Its become somewhat of an obsession with me. From the day i played it i decided when im older Im going to build one. My mom said i should sell them, i dont really want to but if i did i could build more for myself as well. Which is also good.

I build my Lightsaber in honor of my Master Kyle. lol
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:Heck didn't see the art sentence. Yeah it could be art. It says in a lot of references that a Jedi's Lightsaber reflects his/her personality and some are built in rememberance of a master they trained under or a clan they belonged to. Depends on plenty of things. Mine is more of a mechanical design based on Kyle Kataran's saber. After i played Jedi Knight on the very first ever Pc Format cd. I got inspired to build one. Since then i have been researching on them and the whole Religion surrounding Star Wars. Its become somewhat of an obsession with me. From the day i played it i decided when im older Im going to build one. My mom said i should sell them, i dont really want to but if i did i could build more for myself as well. Which is also good.

I build my Lightsaber in honor of my Master Kyle. lol
I dont really like that one, too plain. My most faviourite sabers are the Arbiters, Preditors and the M2 has just made my list :D
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Prob is with those is they damn expensive. I like the fury one. Has a bit of a Luke turned evil vibe going for it. Basically like i said i am building it because it was the first star wars game i ever played. The first star wars design i really liked and mainly because mine is an original design. Noone can say hey you copied that guy or that site etc. Maybe it looks like the one in the game but it isnt in reality. Im also going to add some things like hidden compartments, a hidden activator switch and a trapped handle a la sith.
I was thinking of a capasitor with some wire coiled around the handle. ZAP :twisted:
Its going to be something really cool that i can say to my grand kids, I built this when they zapping each other with the real things.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:I was thinking of a capasitor with some wire coiled around the handle. ZAP :twisted:
Reminds me of judge dredd :D

What would also be kewl is a hidden knife in the hilt, wich pops out the end with a touch of a button... hey, ya never know. You could slash some cortosis and still need to defend yourself :D
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

What would also be kewl is a hidden knife in the hilt, wich pops out the end with a touch of a button...
Hey thats a pretty cool idea. :twisted: Like a switchblade type thing. What really kicked bottom is the sword from Blade. That was awesome. Maybe Ill do something like that in the second one i build. Want to build one light one dark. Maybe i can sit on the couch watching Star Wars ep 3 and chow biltong with it :D [/quote]
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:
What would also be kewl is a hidden knife in the hilt, wich pops out the end with a touch of a button...
Hey thats a pretty cool idea. :twisted: Like a switchblade type thing. What really kicked bottom is the sword from Blade. That was awesome. Maybe Ill do something like that in the second one i build. Want to build one light one dark. Maybe i can sit on the couch watching Star Wars ep 3 and chow biltong with it :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All in one saber:
I shall kill this stormtrooper, by using my saber.
I shall block these blaster shots, by using my saber.
I shall get this kitten down from the tree, by using my saber.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

I shall get this kitten down from the tree, by using my saber.
:lol: Bwahahahahahaha :lol: Thats damn funny man.

Perhaps a grapling hook built in to it. Or a speargun with a rope on it into the hilt? If you were a Jedi you could just force jump up the tree. :)
Better yet just chop the damn thing down in one fowl swipe 8)

Aparently in a Star Wars book a Jedi built his saber with a translator. Basically one like c3po's but without the constant talking and nagging are we gonna die type thing.

edit: and in reply to the pm wtf are these people thinking? hehehe
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Memphis_Raines wrote:edit: and in reply to the pm wtf are these people thinking? hehehe
there not
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

Can I have one that goes
"kzzzzzat" "vroooorrrr" "skzzztss"
PM for details
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Speaking of light sabres... there is this relatively new store at the V&A Waterfront called Passtimes, and when I popped in there yesterday to check out their collectable figurines (I have a large collection... I admit it), I saw that they had on sale a replica of Anakins lightsabre - full size, made from steel, mounted on a cool metal mount, the blade apparently does light up - this thing was damn cool! I'm not really as big a Star Wars fan as I used to be, but my inner geek really wanted this thing.

It cost R3000 though, and frankly I would rather spend that on Lord of the Rings weapon replicas.
human slave in an insect nation
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Hey Guys
Can I have one that goes "kzzzzzat" "vroooorrrr" "skzzztss"
Sure you can. Acually whats pretty popular with a lot of SW nuts like me is to rip apart the Qui Gon Jinn toy saber and steal the electronics, they make a power up, power down, strike and humming sound. Theres also a place that sells this but i can remember where.

I saw that they had on sale a replica of Anakins lightsabre full size, made from steel, mounted on a cool metal mount, the blade apparently does light up
Hey Leigh

Well something a lot of people didnt know is for the last movie and i think the first one (ep 1 and ep 2) the guys at lucas arts used another prop builder. The guys that built the original props lost thier licences (are they stupid or what). These new guys made a run of limited edition sabers and EL sabers. Aparently the Limited Edition ones retail about 7500 possibly 8000 and arent even available any more. My one wont be collectable but some of them sure as hell are. Graflex tubes which were used in the production of ep 4 through ep 6 for Luke and Darth Vaders sabers are selling on ebay for more than 750 bucks and they in terrible nick. There is a market for this stuff overseas but here is a totally different story. If Sabers sell in S.A or not is yet to be known. I will find the site asap. Aparrently they have some LOTR stuff too. *Looking @ Leigh*

"Luke ........ I am your father............."
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

*looks around*

I was joking

*hides*
PM for details