SA FTW!

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

SA FTW!

Post by ryanrich »

Hey guys,

The past 6 - 12 months there has been a lot of negativity in SA because of various issues...

There are even a few threads on here about the negatives of SA, such as "banana republic" etc...

I left SA 5 months ago to explore my options abroad. I settled in New Zealand and have been working here in a very successfull position, but I am returning to SA on Wednesday the 6th of August.

I am returning because I have a lot of hope for our country, I have realised the grass is by far not altogether greener on the other side, and I also miss the feeling of being "home".

So, I thought I'd start this thread for us to share good and positive experiences about SA and start some positive thought instead of all this negativity around lately, which honestly isn't very healthy.

One of my biggest gripes here in NZ has been the fact that all the expat saffas I work with are every day of their lives going on about how crap SA is and how happy they are here. To me this comes off as very bitter people who actually wish they were back home, and are constantly trying to justify to themselves why they left, when in fact they wish they were home.

I mean if you leave the country all good and well, but then live and integrate into your new country and don't look back every day moaning about where you came from as that only comes off as a sad desperate person...

Anyway, my positive thought is that I see the rand has made a tremendous recovery this week, petrol is coming down in August, and the overall economic situation in SA looks to be on the up and up!

Please guys, no negativity or silly comments, this thread is only for those who wish to contribute something positive, if you aren't interested then rather move on and don't troll... :wink:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: SA FTW!

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:One of my biggest gripes here in NZ has been the fact that all the expat saffas I work with are every day of their lives going on about how crap SA is and how happy they are here. To me this comes off as very bitter people who actually wish they were back home, and are constantly trying to justify to themselves why they left, when in fact they wish they were home.
I reckon you've hit the nail on the head there! I mean, yeah, SA has its problems, but so does any other country you move to, surely?

Anyway, we have relatively cheap and readily available biltong!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: SA FTW!

Post by ryanrich »

schase wrote:
ryanrich wrote:One of my biggest gripes here in NZ has been the fact that all the expat saffas I work with are every day of their lives going on about how crap SA is and how happy they are here. To me this comes off as very bitter people who actually wish they were back home, and are constantly trying to justify to themselves why they left, when in fact they wish they were home.
I reckon you've hit the nail on the head there! I mean, yeah, SA has its problems, but so does any other country you move to, surely?

Anyway, we have relatively cheap and readily available biltong!
Hell yeah, there are places here that sell biltong, but as you say, very expensive and it's not nearly as good!

And yes, every country has crap. I mean since I've been here my company has been burgled and all the laptops etc stolen, the basement broken into and a car stolen, 2 friends have been mugged and assaulted, I know somebody who was involved in a gang attack, and the list goes on...

My whole life in SA I was involved in one unfortunate mugging. This experience has been a big eye opener for me... Yes statistically SA is more unsafe than NZ etc, but it's up to you as to what kind of life you choose to live, a happy successfull one or a bitter sad one, as many people here still do even after leaving SA which apparently made them unhappy in the first place.
Last edited by ryanrich on 01 Aug 2008, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

all im gonna say is:

WELCOME HOME ok u not back yet but soon u will be...

and welcome back to the land of biltong and braais :D
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

8O
Who are you and what have you done with ryan?

Uhm... we have bigger houses and awesome weather! :D And some really amazing beaches! And wors rolls!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Firestrm wrote:all im gonna say is:

WELCOME HOME ok u not back yet but soon u will be...

and welcome back to the land of biltong and braais :D
Thanks mate! I can't wait!

It's rainy and cold as anything here, and my mom is telling me what a nice day it is in Gauteng... :-(

Been listening to Africa by TOTO and some Johnny Clegg too getting me in the spirit! :lol:

If you guys want something really cool check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHBAOoXLftw
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

ryanrich wrote:but it's up to you as to what kind of life you choose to live, a happy successfull one or a bitter sad one, as many people here still do even after leaving SA which apparently made them unhappy in the first place.
Couldn't agree more. People are quick to blame everything else and never consider if they have to change themselves.

I must say, a positive thing about your soon-to-be return is that it gives me hope that all the people worth having in SA won't just up and leave - they'll stay here and work on the potential we have.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I feel the same D3PART3D, it made me really happy reading on News24 lately that a lot more mid 20's and older people are choosing to return to SA... In fact once I'm back I'm going to get involved with Homecoming Revolution or some such agency and help out bringing our guys home as best I can...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Good stuff.....welcome back ryan.....

I worked in the US during '98.....I only lasted a few months and was dying to come back home. I came back and gave myself a month to find a job here, or else I would return to the States. I landed a programming job within 2 weeks and have absolutely no regrets, I love this place.

I was in the US last month for 3 weeks (went to my sister's wedding) and I missed this place within a week!

Yes, we live behind electric fencing, have tracking units in our cars and have armed response etc etc cos of the crime...but....its home and people like me cant imagine living anywhere else. The only reason I would move elsewhere was to give my son better opportunities in life.....not because I dislike this country.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

ryanrich wrote:In fact once I'm back I'm going to get involved with Homecoming Revolution or some such agency and help out bringing our guys home as best I can...
Brilliant! I work in the IT Industry for a retail and its really scary how we are losing the best of our best to other countries......especially wrt mainframe skills....
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Nice post Alpha! I agree with you, if it gets to the point where you have to leave to give your son a better opportunity in the world then so be it, but please never be negative or bitter about SA, which by the way you talk I know you never would be, especially about living in the states and having that need to return, which I now have.

I've seen a lot of improvement in SA though, yes crime is still a big talking point, but there are a lot of dedicated people in SA that are determined to not let the country fail, and God willing we will make it!

I mean if even half the people who have left SA hadn't, we would be doing so much better. That's why I'm now going to get involved in drives to bring our skills home... We need the governments cooperation with this as well, as BEE in some sectors is a major driving factor...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

AlphA wrote:
ryanrich wrote:In fact once I'm back I'm going to get involved with Homecoming Revolution or some such agency and help out bringing our guys home as best I can...
Brilliant! I work in the IT Industry for a retail and its really scary how we are losing the best of our best to other countries......especially wrt mainframe skills....
Yeah I've noticed that mate, the problem with SA guys is that they panic easily and follow the herd... Once everybody up and left during the Eskom chaos the emigration levels have skyrocketed! There are lotsa guys going home though, so with enough initiatives we will get there, especially with the UK as a target market as most IT skills go there I believe, and in all honesty the UK is getting pretty bad as well, so most will want to return to SA to much better weather amongst other things!
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Great to hear it Ryan.

And i just heard on the radio today, 5FM and they were saying people are coming back home...

So i will caht to you soon on msn Bro. :D :wink:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Another awesome video. If you watch this as a South African and don't get goosebumps then I dunno... Anybody remember "Jock of the Bushveld"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_9xtCbRgH4
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

DoOb wrote:Great to hear it Ryan.

And i just heard on the radio today, 5FM and they were saying people are coming back home...

So i will caht to you soon on msn Bro. :D :wink:
Hey bro!

Yeah I heard about that, it's awesome news man! :D

Will talk soon!
capanno

Post by capanno »

ryanrich wrote:Yeah I've noticed that mate,
ryanrich wrote:Thanks mate!
Where were you again? :P

Its good to hear your coming back! My dad always says the day everyone leaves he will be the one to put off the lights and close the door, because he will be that last one out.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Your dad is a good man and I will be with him... :lol:

In all honesty though I don't think it will get to that, I only see good things for the future, but only if everybody works together and stops this nonsense or leaving in droves...
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

Well, SA FTW!

The weather has been awesome these last 2 weeks in the Northern Cape. My wife and I are on our way to Augrabies this weekend for an outing and a bit of MTB'ing.

We'll be spending the evenings around a nice braai fire, braai'ing chops and enjoying the rumbling of the waterfall in the background.

In SA, we've got gigantic waves on the West coast (Dungeons), wonderful, warm ocean on the East coast. You can jump in your car at any point and drive at most 2 hours to be in a paradise of meandering meadows, misty mountains or Bushmanland desert (depending on where you stay). We've got some of the most beautiful coast line wrapping itself around a point where two ocean currents converse.

You can take a trip in the wine lands, where after you can jump in your car and pick up fresh Snoek or Yellowtail, FRESH.

And then you can still be home in time to catch the Super 14 or cricket or whatever the hell tickles your fancy on TV.

And over and above all this; I'm connected the Internet (although not cheaply), but this will be changing in a relatively short space of time.

This might be a bit of a soppy entry, but I think people loose perspective of what they really have, especially the people that still are in SA.

Yes, SA FTW!
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Ja ouens, jy't dit nou lekker gese!
(Yeah guys, you said it well! - There's no easy translation for lekker, it's just... lekker!)
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I am considering moving to Australia. I feel that my little girl will get a better education there which I could better afford.

"The grass might be greener but that could also mean the fertilizer is deeper... "

Everyone has their problems. I will miss my family and friends (friends more than some family members...). I love our country, we are nothing short here except reliable water sources, a good schooling system, police force and good internet. Unfortunately I don't see the schooling as improving anytime soon, in fact, I think its degrading. I don't blame the teachers but the system is horrendous. Internet is getting cheaper or faster every year. Crime is not getting better but it also doesn't seem to be getting worse. Farm murders are getting worse though both in frequency and brutality. It is downright gruesome actually.

In my opinion South Africa has quite a couple of good points:
Braai's, Biltong, Cabbanosies, Droe wors, Magoeba's kloof, Magalies mountains, Kruger park, Warm eastern oceans, Beautiful beaches, generally a beautiful country. We design some of the best technology in the world. We know this is one of the best places to live in when you have not been affected by crime

But we have a really bad neighbour up north who has an influence on us as a nation. Crime, like I said, is not getting any better. You cannot go for a walk at night with your children anywhere in SA without the fear of being mugged, murdered or raped. Racism has been reversed in the form of BEE. The way government is doing things without thinking of all the consequences and who it will affect. People not caring whether a future president could possibly be a criminal and lastly a new law that empowers government to take your property (including investments, cars, etc.) if they think it would be beneficial to the uplifting of themselves and the poor. (Can you spell communism...)

I don't mean to sound negative but it is very hard not to be when you see all these "wrongs" happening around you that you don't want to be part of. I know a lot of people are happy and I am relatively happy with what I have. But if I see my little girl raped in this country and I could've have been in another country where the chance of it happening is less, I would never be able to forgive myself.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Aah awesome! SA wasn't the same without you Ryan :P

Glad to hear you're coming back dude, seriously.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Thanks DAE, appreciate it dude! Been to 7 countries now, and have never felt better than when I land in good old SA... :D

Samaya: I appreciate your post, but like I said in my first post, we know all the bad, some have experienced it, some not. This thread is more about promoting the good. I appreciate your post though, especially the good points, and I respect the bad points that you mention as well as your decision to leave for the sake of your daughter. All the best mate.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Samaya, a suggestion for you. I see you live in PTA East, which is where I used to live, in Wapadrand. That area has become very bad... Maybe look at moving somewhere in the Western Cape before you leave the country for good, you might find a completely different lifestyle, especially for your daughter and things like walking in parks, on the beach etc...

Trust me, life here in NZ and the like is far from crime free, yes statistically it's safer than SA, but living here is another thing altogether, which I have experienced first hand. And Australia, as you say you're considering it, has a higher crime rate than here. I can give you the stats for Victoria, where my parents are moving to, and I can promise you that it will surprise you big time! I was there for a month before I came here, and once again I say, the grass is not so much greener...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

On a less serious note.......
Samaya wrote:n my opinion South Africa has quite a couple of good points:
Braai's, Biltong, Cabbanosies, Droe wors, Magoeba's kloof, Magalies mountains, Kruger park, Warm eastern oceans, Beautiful beaches, generally a beautiful country.
You forgot Nandos! 8O
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I love South Africa. I'd fight tooth and nail if my parents tried to make me emigrate. Sure we have our downs but we have some of the most awesome ups too. Firstly the climate - where is there a better climate?? Secondly this has to be one of the most beautiful countries in the world!!!
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.