Home server

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Home server

Post by DJT »

Morning all

I am currently looking at building a server for at home. It will be responsible for back ups, downloads (All legal) and storage. I want to remote desktop to it so that i don't need to have monitor/keyboard/mouse. All i want is the box to sit in some corner with the network cable.

Currently I have:
2.80GHz Celeron (EM64T) if that is important
Intel D915GAV motherboard

The person who brought it back to the office stripped out everything else and so I saved the PC from being scrapped

I am looking at buying two SATA drives (Total 750GB) and either 512mb or 1GB of DDR333/400

Now I have some questions
I was going to install Server 2003, but I can't find the drivers for that OS on the Intel site. Will the XP/2K drivers work? And if not, what is the best OS for this? I was thinking XP because I need to remote desktop in. I thought Linux maybe, but heard it difficult to RD and i don't have Linux on my PC.

Is there a anti virus that is free or relatively cheap that i can use to make the 'server' scan all the PCs in the house (There are 3 others)

Will Server 2003 even run on those sort of specs?

Thanks guys
Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

OK...
  1. The 2K/XP drivers may or may not work on Server 2003. I'm not entirely sure.
  2. Some Linux distributions come with a VNC server that you can use to remote in. SuSE 10.3 is one of them.
  3. Anti-virus - generally only business/corporate editions will be able to do this, and the pricing definitely won't be cheap. (We're using the business edition of NOD32 here at work to do this; hasn't let us down yet.)
  4. There is a version of Windows called Windows Home Server. It may be worth investigating.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DJT

Post by DJT »

Shot Ron, checking out home server now
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - Facebook
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

My suggestion:

Install Windows XP. XP can be just as stable as Windows Server (especially on home pc hardware).

You can still do a remote desktop into the machine. Please note, that windows XP only allows 1 RDP connection at a time. Windows 2003 server only allows 2. So if it's only gonna be you using the server, then Windows XP is the best option.

If you need more than 1 RDP connection, then windows server 2000/2003 is needed with TS installed.

Free anti-virus, you can use AVG 8.0. Its free and works like acharm for my home pc.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Twiggs

Post by Twiggs »

I had server 2003 running on less of a spec so I dont see why not. But as icepick says if its just you then run XP it will be cheaper and more stable.
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

What about Ubunto Server ??
Have you had a look at that ?? and remember it is free ..

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
Twiggs

Post by Twiggs »

There is that to I would actually suggest that more it easy to use easy to setup and best of all free.

On the topic of RDing the box there are many a 3rd party app that play nice with linux you can try Dameware mini remote and Remote Administrator.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.4GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM Corsair Dominator 1066
Hard Drive: 780 GB Total
Video Card: GeForce 8800 GT Inno3dOC
Monitor: SyncMaster 206BW
Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Mouse: Razer Copperhead
Mouse Surface
DJT

Post by DJT »

I'd prefer to stick the Windows route as I know very little about Linux

I've ordered a 120 day evaluation version of Home Server so will see what that is like in 28 days :P
@ Twiggs first post, you think XP is more stable than 2003?
Clarke Media - Facebook
Twiggs

Post by Twiggs »

No not in the least but with the spec hardware you have it going to be more reliable the 2003 altho that is just my 2cents I do networks not servers.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.4GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM Corsair Dominator 1066
Hard Drive: 780 GB Total
Video Card: GeForce 8800 GT Inno3dOC
Monitor: SyncMaster 206BW
Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Mouse: Razer Copperhead
Mouse Surface
junjun

Post by junjun »

Hey

the xp drivers will mostly work
you can use windows rdp works fine or vmware
im assumin this server will be on all the time ?
will you be setting up a domain as well ?

i have lots of cool ideas for a home network, including mail and proxy....
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Home server

Post by hamin_aus »

[quote="DJT"]I am currently looking at building a server for at home. It will be responsible for back ups, downloads (All legal) and storage./quote]The guys who have commented so far are right...

Dont waste your time with W2K3 - you don't need. XP will work fine for what you want to do.
Not to mention the fact that licensing is more expensive.
Also, W2K3 does not run desktop AV apps, and I dont know of any fee Server AV apps. You will have to buy server edition AV which means more cash.

From what I see, you have overlooked one very important issue here.
A static IP. Your setup wont work if you don't have one, so make sure your ISP knows this, if you haven't already told them. They will probably charge you more for this service, if they can supply you with it at all...
DJT

Post by DJT »

@ junjun, This won't be a mail server. So i don't think we need a domain or to play with proxys

@jamin, I've decided not to bother with the AV over network, much simpler to install NOD32 or Avast on the 3 PCs. Without that would there still be any need for a static IP? It will be for the home network only, and won't be accessed over the net.

Maybe I made it sound more technical than it is. I just need a server/PC in which i can back up important docs off all the PCs, and use as a storage hub. Only reason I am gonna RD into it, is because i don't have space for another desktop, so the box will just sit where ever i can put it.

I've ordered Home Server so will give that a go, and then will see where i go from there. But will probably just stick with XP in the end.

Shot for the input tho
Clarke Media - Facebook
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Don't need a static IP at all, unless he plans to enter the LAN from the WAN, in which case, he could use dyanamic DNS, so no cost there either
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

PhReaK_K wrote:What about Ubunto Server ??
That is an option, but remember Ubuntu Server is CLI only, no GUI... unless you gonna install a GUI over it... which ends up being a mission

My vote would also be on running a XP Pro box
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

g0ldback wrote:
That is an option, but remember Ubuntu Server is CLI only, no GUI... unless you gonna install a GUI over it... which ends up being a mission

My vote would also be on running a XP Pro box
And ya, if it is just a home network run XP... then just create a share that you put all the stuff you want to save, also when you use backup software, just direct the backup to be saved onto that HDD.. Should be simple enuff.

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

+1 :?
windows as a server environment is... well....

ubuntu server has a tiny footprint, which means the server's resources are free for use elsewhere... which is how it should be, 9and not the windows rule)

if you get panicky around CLI, management is a simple matter of installing something like webmin:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl libmd5-perl

wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.420_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i webmin_1.420_all.deb
pointing the browser of any of the local LAN machines to https://yourserverIP:yourPort/ will provide you with a login prompt to create a remote session on the server from which you can manage every aspect of the server, (users, shares, databases... )

ubuntu server comes default with samba, (file share service), which can be extended using something like putty, which permits you to log into the server remotely and manage it over a VPN tunnel from anywhere, (check out dyndns to manage the non-static IP issue....).

windows, for all its friendly appearance, is leaps behind *nix in the server environment.

why the fear? :wink: my last server install took less than 20 minutes... and that included a coffeee break...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

rustypup wrote:why the fear? Wink my last server install took less than 20 minutes... and that included a coffeee break...
and for someone that knows little - none about linux ???

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

PhReaK_K wrote:and for someone that knows little - none about linux ???
the initial setup is a monkey-see/monkey-do process...

thereafter, webmin is as simple as they come... no CLI, no sweat, everything at your fingertips....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Wow...

Linux fanbois have adopted Jehovah's Witness approach when it comes to recruiting, haven't they?

No matter how many times someone expresses their disinterest in their inane blather... they just take each attempt at escape as a cue to tell the poor shill more about it.

I'm sure DJT wishes he had a door he could slam in your collective faces right now :P
DJT

Post by DJT »

jamin_za wrote:Wow...

Linux fanbois have adopted Jehovah's Witness approach when it comes to recruiting, haven't they?

No matter how many times someone expresses their disinterest in their inane blather... they just take each attempt at escape as a cue to tell the poor shill more about it.

I'm sure DJT wishes he had a door he could slam in your collective faces right now :P

LOL!
No offense guys but, QFT!!!!

I'm staying Microsoft, I want something that will work, now, not after 24 hours of playing with it and asking for help. XP or Home server it is

Shot Jamin :wink:
Clarke Media - Facebook