Slow DVD / CD reading speed

Any hardware related topics go here.
pofadder

Slow DVD / CD reading speed

Post by pofadder »

Hi all

I've got a very weird problem with my DVD ROM, specifically when installing applications. I would insert the CD / DVD and install as usual, however, the application takes FOREVER to install....and I mean, it is painstackingly slow!!! :evil:

The PC is fairly new (got it in April 2008). Initially, everything was working fine (had no problem with installing games etc. - it was installing fairly quickly). It is only recently (the last month) that it started doing this.

For interest sake: It an IDE LG 20X DVD LightScribe writer and I am running XP Professional 32-bit.

Anyone had this problem before? :cry:
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

I know that some installers read slowly. I've had the problem with some games installing slowly while others install fast. One game I have installs fast with the first disk, but slow with the second. I've also seen that problem with the OS. My friend's COD4 install took over an hour (on both his pc and laptop) in Vista, while mine took about 10 minutes in XP.

Have you tried installing an app that installed fast previously? It should give you an idea if it the installer or the drive.

A program that tests the reading speed of the drive might also help. I'll see if I can find one.

Edit
I checked a bit. If you have Nero installed, you can use the Nero CD-DVD Speed program under the Tools menu in the Nero start menu.
If you don't have it, check here: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
You can download the utility and check it.
Last edited by endev8003 on 25 Jul 2008, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

I tried COD4 last night. I know it usually takes a while to install, but last night, it didn't even make it half way and it hanged.

It is not so much about the installations, but more when running games. Crysis, for example, takes about 10 minutes to start now (as apposed to a minute previously), due to it taking so long to read the DVD. I know one can download the no-cd patch, but that isn't solving the problem at hand.

If it's a faulty DVD ROM, then I can return it, as it is still under warranty. Obviously, the only way to verify this is to swop the rom with another one.

However, I formated my machine 3 nights ago and the rom was working fine again. However, last night, it started acting up again. And I only have Crysis installed on my machine at the moment. And VLC media. NOTHING ELSE (except XP, of course :roll: ).

Also, I remember now that Crysis installs the latest Windows installer. Could that have anything to do with it?

So I have to assume for now that it is not a hardware glitch.
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Seems I was a little late :D

I checked a bit. If you have Nero installed, you can use the Nero CD-DVD Speed program under the Tools menu in the Nero start menu.
If you don't have it, check here: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
You can download the utility and check it.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

OK thanks! I'll download it and give it a test.