No LAN Support Kills Fun

Want to whine about DRM (*cough* StarBound)? Here you go!
Supalama

No LAN Support Kills Fun

Post by Supalama »

I can not believe that so many of the new games are released with NO LAN support. This sucks royal posterior. This is a challenge to all the programmers out there. See who can make a Battle.net server emulator or an emulator for all games that has to go online to play a LAN game. Don't get me wrong, I support the fact that this helps thin out the arrrrr me maties Pirates out there, but damn, bandwidth is expensive and if it's not expensive, its slow and "yada,yada, yada Telkoms sucks etc.". It is simple, buy original, activate online, commence LAN game, LAN game requests key checks from online server, disconnects and LAN proceeds. That will be perfect. I am still in two minds about purchasing StarCraft II and COD BO because of this. If you know of anything like this, let me know, please.
i3 550 3.2GHz
Asus P7H55-M LX
2 GB Kingston DDR3 Memory
Club 3D HD6850 Overclocked Edition (GPU CLock: 820MHz - Mem Clock: 4400MHz)
500GB Seagate HDD
Huntkey Green Power 550W PSU
CoolerMaster Elite 370
Samsung B2230 21.5" Monitor
rustypup

Re: No LAN Support Kills Fun

Post by rustypup »

forums rules - specifically rule 7...
you have a choice - research the product and vote no with your wallet or bite the bullet and join the sucker squad...

also: have you said hi to everyone yet?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Supalama

Post by Supalama »

Okay, so I have done some extensive research. Starting 03 Jan 2011 I am getting the iBurts 1Gb account with the Uncapped Anytime 128kbps. This will add up to R398 all in. I am worried about online gaming performance though. 128kbps is hardly anything to write home about. On the plus side, from 00:00 in the evening to 08:00 in the morning, the speed goes up to 1mbps. Playing something like Black Ops online might really be frustrating. Look left, no, no, look left, dam it, shoot, shoot, shoot........too late I'm dead, followed by lots of profanity. Any comments? Advice? Anything? Please?
i3 550 3.2GHz
Asus P7H55-M LX
500GB Seagate HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 370
Johnny Fairplay

Post by Johnny Fairplay »

rustypup wrote:forums rules - specifically rule 7...
did you just see "arr me matie" and flamed right away or what happened here?

As for iburst wireless, I hated it when I had it. Bad lag in games especially Black ops and MW2. Go wired or go home :wink:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

why iburst?

for the same price, cybersmart will give you:
  • :- a 384k line + 15GB cap +free usage between 01h00 and 07h00...
    or
    :- a 4/10 MB line with a 3GB cap...
pricing includes line rental...

@Squirrel Molester: you really need to read the OP again... discussing bypassing authentication servers is what, exactly?
Last edited by rustypup on 20 Dec 2010, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Clever?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Supalama

Post by Supalama »

Nhu, uh. Not supporting any Piracy here. I do not want to bypass the authentication servers, the games must still be able to authenticate, but then be able to play off line Lan games (and not be able to play offline LAN without Local server authenticatio). Some of them, you have to rent a game server to have a private LAN. Say you start a Lan server, the server dails in to the authentication server. The authentication server checks all joined players, approves or kicks them out, then disconnects. Johnny, I just started a new thread without introducing myself, so sorry for that.

iBurst. I am not allowed to install a landline where I live now, plus its convenient. What about the iGame add on for iBurst. Will that not improve online gaming?
i3 550 3.2GHz
Asus P7H55-M LX
500GB Seagate HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 370
Johnny Fairplay

Supalama wrote: LAN game requests key checks from online server, disconnects and LAN proceeds. That will be perfect.
rustypup wrote:you really need to read the OP again... discussing bypassing authentication servers is what, exactly?
No actually YOU need to read it again!!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@Supalama: wireless gaming in SA is an exercise in frustration... i know some folks manage OK if they're lucky enough to be gifted with sustained decent signal... everyone else gets to curse their fate...
Johnny Fairplay wrote:No actually YOU need to read it again!!
See who can make a Battle.net server emulator or an emulator for all games that has to go online to play a LAN game.
i suspect your reading comprehension may require some tweaking.... :wink: just a suggestion... use it... abuse it... whatever comes naturally...
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

OK, let me add my few cents to this:
  1. I don't see the lack of LAN play to be as big an issue as it's made out to be. Just host the LAN party at someone's house where they have broadband, and you're sorted - can dial in to the authentication servers and host a local game. I've done this with Left 4 Dead with very good results, and Starcraft II would work similarly. (Just don't pick the poor sod with the 384 kbps line.) If this is not an acceptable solution - play a different game!
  2. Wireless is never good for gaming - the problem is packet loss/collisions, which is an unfortunate inherent characteristic of wireless networks. Such packets do get retransmitted (TCP has these features built in to the protocol) which is fine for something that isn't time sensitive, such as web browsing, downloading, and that kind of thing - but for something that is time sensitive (online gaming, VOIP, etc.), it's very significant. Unfortunately, there's not a lot that you can do if you can't install a landline.
  3. Ignore Johnny Squirrel Molester, he's just trolling. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Johnny Fairplay

I have no idea what an battle.net emulsifier is. However the "OP" made it clear that he does not want to support Jack Sparrow and maties.
Ron2K wrote:
[*]Ignore Johnny Squirrel Molester, he's just trolling. :P[/list]
like wth do you mean
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Johnny Fairplay wrote:
Supalama wrote: LAN game requests key checks from online server, disconnects and LAN proceeds. That will be perfect.
rustypup wrote:you really need to read the OP again... discussing bypassing authentication servers is what, exactly?
No actually YOU need to read it again!!
No actually YOU need to understand the pup better, and the pup was indeed correct to point out the obvious...
This is a challenge to all the programmers out there. See who can make a Battle.net server emulator or an emulator for all games that has to go online to play a LAN game.
Unless only 1% of my mind is collectively restraining it self for not laughing at your fail, he is asking indirectly for software to bypass certain ingenuously created software protection to keep them non-paying clients from whipping the paying clients behind....

People that usually create threads like these, are the socially inept pirates going emo about a game that actually is worth playing but can't pirate and have to pay for it...
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

wizardofid wrote:People that usually create threads like these, are the socially inept pirates going emo about a game that actually is worth playing but can't pirate and have to pay for it...
Not entirely true. I remember (more than a few years back) the guys on the UCT residence network were not too happy when Steam first came out; the problem being that Steam was being blocked by the insanely strict network policies at the time and they couldn't connect to the service. I'll admit though that your statement does hold for the majority of cases though. ;)

For all we know, the OP may have a perfectly legitimate problem as to why he can't get to the authentication servers (no Internet connectivity at the LAN party would certainly count). Let's not assume piracy just because it's mainly pirates that have these issues.
Johnny Fairplay

Ron2K wrote: Let's not assume piracy just because it's mainly pirates that have these issues.
+1
Last edited by Johnny Fairplay on 20 Dec 2010, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Supalama

Post by Supalama »

Jack Sparrow is awsome, if I ever see him floating by on the cyber waves with a Pirated Black Ghost Windows, I'll let him live, but everyone else must die. Be ready to be boarded you pirate scum!!! Thanks for the advice Ron2K. I played Crysis Wars online not too long ago and it seemed okay, but for some reason people kept on swearing at me :)
I have quite decent signal where I am right now and I'm not even using my Omni antena. A well, lets just see how it works out. I can always get a land line next time I move. StarCraft and Black Ops are both too good to pass, so I'll get them. Joining the sucker squad.
i3 550 3.2GHz
Asus P7H55-M LX
500GB Seagate HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 370
Supalama

Post by Supalama »

Ron2K was right. I am the only one of my budz with a Internet connection and as previously stated, it's an iburst connection, so it sucks. I appologize for the wording, what I meant to say was, to all legit Blizzard, EA etc. programmers. I am a bit disappointed in them. The emulator needs to run a dedicated server. One quick connection to authenticate all players games, then let the emulator "dedicated LOCAL (in the room with you) server take over"
i3 550 3.2GHz
Asus P7H55-M LX
500GB Seagate HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 370
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Ron2K wrote:
wizardofid wrote:People that usually create threads like these, are the socially inept pirates going emo about a game that actually is worth playing but can't pirate and have to pay for it...
Not entirely true. I remember (more than a few years back) the guys on the UCT residence network were not too happy when Steam first came out; the problem being that Steam was being blocked by the insanely strict network policies at the time and they couldn't connect to the service. I'll admit though that your statement does hold for the majority of cases though. ;)

For all we know, the OP may have a perfectly legitimate problem as to why he can't get to the authentication servers (no Internet connectivity at the LAN party would certainly count). Let's not assume piracy just because it's mainly pirates that have these issues.
:) :wink: Actually I am all for online activation and such, if it means doing away with CD copy protections, I would choose online activation over rootkits any day.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Supalama wrote:StarCraft and Black Ops are both too good to pass, so I'll get them. Joining the sucker squad.
after reading up on iGame, you're double-suckered... it's basically a dedicated server running in SA to play host to a few popular titles... given how tightly blizzard is controlling battle.net, don't expect to see SC2 anywhere near here in the future...

and the reason you're being cursed is the game will attempt to keep everyone sync'd to balance play... so your 128kbps drop-every-3rd-packet line is going to encourage someone to pay you an impromptu visit with a replica ceremonial sword :lol:
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Supalama wrote:I have quite decent signal where I am right now and I'm not even using my Omni antena. A well, lets just see how it works out.
Problem is, decent signal is not always going to save you. Picture the following real-life scenario:
  1. You're connected to the same wireless base station that your friend is.
  2. Your friend is at the opposite side of the base station to where you are. You know what the wireless base station is doing, but not what your friend is doing.
  3. At precisely the same time, both you and your friend wants to send data to the base station, resulting in a packet collision at the tower.
This is called the "hidden node problem", and is a) difficult to avoid and b) becomes more of a problem if you add more subscribers on to your base station. The common solution is to implement some form of handshaking (RTS/CTS packets), but this decreases throughput and latency, which again hurts you as an online gamer.

There's a useful Wikipedia writeup on this subject if you want to learn more. ;)
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Are you sure Black Ops doesnt have LAN? Because I think its the 3rd option from the top of multiplayer.
1 - Playstation network
2 - Local play
3 - LAN
4 - Main menu

And yes lack of LAN does kill a game somewhat. I only play Starcraft 2 when I have friends or my brother online. Then we form a 4 man party and play against AI or such. But I havent played other people in ages.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Supalama

Post by Supalama »

Thanks Ron2K, once again, you have helped me a lot. I currently don't have a choice, but will be moving early next year, then I will most definitely get a wired connection. Hey StarBound. I do not have the game yet, but everywhere on the net they say that it will not support LAN. It will more or less work the same way as Battlefield BC2 and SC2. It does not look like we have SA servers for StarCraft2 at the moment, but it will surely change very soon. If you have SA Game servers, the local bandwidth is not expensive. I was looking at the JHB WUG option for big scale LAN, but as Ron2K explained, you once again have the wireless issue. thanks for the great reply guys, realy helped me make up my mind on some option.
i3 550 3.2GHz
Asus P7H55-M LX
500GB Seagate HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 370
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Supalama wrote:It does not look like we have SA servers for StarCraft2 at the moment, but it will surely change very soon.
this will never happen. bank on it. :wink:
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Ron2K wrote: I don't see the lack of LAN play to be as big an issue as it's made out to be. Just host the LAN party at someone's house where they have broadband, and you're sorted - can dial in to the authentication servers and host a local game. I've done this with Left 4 Dead with very good results, and Starcraft II would work similarly. (Just don't pick the poor sod with the 384 kbps line.) If this is not an acceptable solution - play a different game!
How do you play at big lan tournaments etc? Would require the organizers to provide internet for people to get online to authenticate. This would never happen in most cases since people would abuse it. :wink:
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

^^ I believe it happens at Organised Chaos down here (unverified though, as I haven't been to a large LAN in ages).
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Ron2K wrote:^^ I believe it happens at Organised Chaos down here (unverified though, as I haven't been to a large LAN in ages).
How the crap they get enough bandwith :scratch:

Suppose it could be firewalled to hell and gone for just allowing games to authenticate.
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT