X-Fi Fatal1ty vs Xonar DX

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
LONEWOLF

X-Fi Fatal1ty vs Xonar DX

Post by LONEWOLF »

The main drawback of my ageing X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard is the Alchemy software required to play legacy games with EAX support. I understand the Xonar DX can achieve the same thing through a unified driver that is simpler to use.

Is the Xonar DX a worthwile upgrade from my X-Fi Fatal1ty and does it properly support EAX in legacy games?
Corsair 650D : Corsair AX850 : Intel i7 3770K : Corsair H60 : Gigabyte Z77 UD5H Wi-Fi : 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2133 : 128GB Plextor M3 Pro SSD : 2TB WD Black : Seagate Black Armor 220 NAS : Gigabyte GTX 680 OC : X-Fi Fatal1ty : 27" Samsung S27B550 LED : Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit)
DarkStar

Re: X-Fi Fatal1ty vs Xonar DX

Post by DarkStar »

I've tried and tried and tried, but never got my EAX working on my Xonar D1 (PCI version of the DX).

I don't know if it has something to do with me running Windows 7 or not.

If you have the speakers for it, though, it does improve on sound quality a lot (when compared to on-board)
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I'm going to say no. To get the EAX features working you need to enable GSX on your xonar audio panel. This causes issues with newer games though so its a manual switch every time you play something.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
LONEWOLF

Post by LONEWOLF »

Do you know whether the Xonar provides better sound quality in newer games than the X-Fi?
And do you also have to switch between "game" mode and "entertainment" mode in the Xonar's software as with the X-Fi?
Corsair 650D : Corsair AX850 : Intel i7 3770K : Corsair H60 : Gigabyte Z77 UD5H Wi-Fi : 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2133 : 128GB Plextor M3 Pro SSD : 2TB WD Black : Seagate Black Armor 220 NAS : Gigabyte GTX 680 OC : X-Fi Fatal1ty : 27" Samsung S27B550 LED : Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

There is a button in the xonar audio panel to turn on/off GX mode. GX should be compatible with EAX up to EAX5 but those days are ages past. Sound quality wise I don't know. They sound different that much I can tell you. I think the xonars sound processing might be superior to that of the x-fi as it allows you to first process the sound in all its channels then downscale them to your speakers. eg I am running 7.1 surround over 5.1. It helps with foot steps and other positioning in games.

Just BTW:
http://rog.asus.com/105462012/sound-car ... l-details/
My Steam Screenshots

LONEWOLF

Post by LONEWOLF »

Thank you for your replies.

I’ve decided to keep my X-Fi in the meantime and wait for more details on the Phoebus to surface, that card looks like a truly worthwhile upgrade.

From what I’ve read on the Internet the DX has marginally better sound than the X-Fi, but the X-Fi in turn has better EAX support for legacy games through its Alchemy software, which is still important to me.

A similarity both cards share is the need to switch DSP modes to enable legacy EAX support. The DX in the form of the GX mode and the X-Fi in the form of game mode.

Although I watch movies, listen to music and play newer, non-EAX games in entertainment mode, I still have to switch to game mode to enable full hardware accelerated EAX 1 to 5 support through the audio processor (and the Alchemy software). In entertainment mode the audio processor only supports up to software emulated EAX 3.

Truth is if I did not own a soundcard I would have chosen the DX over the X-Fi (if it was still available), but I’ll rather save some money on my next upgrade and wait to see how the Phoebus performs.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Sound quality wise I think the DX and phoebus are on the same level. The phoebus just has more extras.
My Steam Screenshots