HTPC and Media File server

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
PhR34KKK

HTPC and Media File server

Post by PhR34KKK »

Hey guys.

So I have a nice HTPC setup, with all the goodies I need. But storage is an issue. I am just getting tired of all the externals all over the place. That led me to the decision to get set up a decent NAS storage solution.

After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that the NAS solutions out there is just not enough for my requirements, so I want to build my own. ( I had a look at the Seagate black armour in particular ).

So let met tell you my requirements. ( what I am considering)

I want to be able to attach at least 6 Drives to a RAID 5 configuration ( must be able to grow on the go) and a OS drive separate.
So far I have decided on the following, but I am not 100% sure if it would do everything I want it to do and if they will "gel together". I am for example not sure it the RAID controller I plan to use will fit and work on the mobo that I have decided on.
( Prices are estimates from multiple on-line retailers )

Chassis : Coolermaster Elite 334 Black Chassis (~R350) - (6 x 3.5" internal HDD)
Mobo : Intel "Bear Point" DH61BE (~R 890)
Raid controller : Intel "Union Creek" SASUC8i 8-Port RAID Controller (~R1900)
CPU : Intel Pentium G620 Dual-Core 2.60GHz (~R720)
RAM : Corsair 2Gb DDR3 (~R140)
HDD : I will be beginning with 3 x 3Tb and will be adding additional 3Tb drives as time goes by.

Total cost so far ( R4000 for the File server without any additional drives )
Compared to the Blackarmor 400 ( max 4 Sata drives - ~R4000)

Operating system will be Linux ( Ubuntu server )

The Idea is to have this File server link up with the 1gbps LAN connection and the HTPC as well as all the other PC's connect to it via LAN as well as a couple of notebooks via wireless connection.

Any advice ? Will this work or any advice on perhaps better components.
PhR34KKK

Re: HTPC and Media File server

Post by PhR34KKK »

mmmmm.. no one with ANY advice at all ?
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

They're probably still contemplating/salivating over the thought of 9TB's worth of storage.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes :lol: , but more likely is the fact that these forums are so dead lately :( .

I dont see any real issues with what you intend to do, so go ahead :wink:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

THE_STIG wrote:Yes :lol: , but more likely is the fact that these forums are so dead lately :(
Keep in mind that quite a few forumites have exams coming up, or (in my case) are overloaded with work. But that's off-topic for this thread.

I haven't gone through the original post in any real depth; will respond to it later.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
PhR34KKK

Post by PhR34KKK »

9Tb . .bah.. that is for the weak.
I am aiming to get that 8port RAID controller full with 3Tb Drives.
Running in RAID 5 I will probably get ( 8 x 3Tb = 24 Tb ) = about 20Tb usable storage :D
Plus I intend on adding another 4 Drive mount in the external Dive slots. For an additional 4 x 3Tb..
With the OS running on a 300Gb SSD :D

Then that is connected to a Lovely 59" 3D Samsung LED TV.
Awesome 5.1 Surround sound nifty Logitech remote.
On my HTPC in a beauty of a Antec Fusion 430 Black.

Now that MUST get them all salivating . . .
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

If you're going for 8 or more big drives, rather use RAID 6.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

OK, turns out I have a bit of a gap - so I took a look.
  1. RAID controller compatibility. The raid controller that you're interested in plugs into a PCI-e x8 slot, which is typically only found on server motherboards. That being said, PCI Express is designed that you can plug the card into a x16 slot, and it should still work fine. In theory, you're sorted. Having said that, a quick check on Intel's site reveals a list of recommended motherboards for the raid controller; all of which are server motherboards. Maybe drop Intel a mail then? I'd personally go for entry-level server hardware if the budget allows (and server motherboards tend to have built-in RAID 5 controllers anyway). What I would be far more concerned about is operating system compatibility - but since raid controllers are typically found in server environments, and that there's a significant number of Ubuntu servers around, you should be fine.
  2. Something that's worth keeping in mind is that the more drives you add to a RAID 5 array, the greater the chance of a double-disk failure taking out your entire array becomes. (In fact, add enough drives and you reach a point where the MTBF of the entire array becomes less than that of a single disk.) RAID 6 may be worth considering (you will need a separate controller supporting RAID 6 if you want to take this route though, and from my experience, they tend to be rather pricey). [EDIT: beaten to it by Monty.]
  3. CPU is supported by the motherboard, so no issues there.
  4. Apparently, when you add your extra disks later, you CAN increase the size of your array (which I previously wasn't aware of). Check this link out.
That's all I can think of at this stage.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
PhR34KKK

Post by PhR34KKK »

Ok so I will have to do some research on RAID 6 .. I do not know much about it.
Thanx for the help guys..

Now where to find a RAID controller that can help me with the RAID 6 part .. :(