All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:
“It’s a pretty serious problem,” Clemence said. “There’s a fair amount of responsibility on Apple to get this fixed.”
map books... how do they work?
In the 21st century, people have learned to rely on GPS systems, and don't generally check a physical map book for verification before leaving on their trip.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

And then,
Google on Wednesday officially said that a new Google Maps app was available for the iOS platform. However, the app couldn't be found in the Apple iTunes App Store later in the day.

Read more
So Apple can't even direct you properly to Google Maps app.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:In the 21st century, people have learned to rely on GPS systems, and don't generally check a physical map book for verification before leaving on their trip.
<translation>
in the 21st century humanity is infested with dysfunctional technophiles who can be incapacitated by the very technology they've bet their chips on...
</translation>

or should that read "apple users"?... :lol:

a 70km variance isn't exactly small change... :/
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote: <translation>
in the 21st century humanity is infested with dysfunctional technophiles who can be incapacitated by the very technology they've bet their chips on...
</translation>
So you expect people who have a GPS to double check a map book first before they leave with their destination programmed? I take it you still use a map book as opposed to a GPS? Or that you always make use of both?

I know that you have an inviolable preconception of Apple users that will not grant them any level of intelligence or maturity higher than that of a teaspoon, but I can assure you that most Apple/GPS users are quite capable of reading a map book. There just is very seldom any good reason to do so.
rustypup wrote:a 70km variance isn't exactly small change... :/
Isn't that pretty much the point the article was trying to make? Kudos for stating the obvious.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote: I know that you have an inviolable preconception of Apple users that will not grant them any level of intelligence or maturity higher than that of a teaspoon, but I can assure you that most Apple/GPS users are quite capable of reading a map book. There just is very seldom any good reason to do so.
If I am going to a place outside my city, I ALWAYS check the book, or at least look at things online. These people are traveling through one of the most hostile places on the planet and they didn't think to make a route plan, or at least verify things first? However you cut it, these "people" are Idiots...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:I can assure you that most Apple/GPS users are quite capable of reading a map book.
You couldn't possibly know that for a fact!

Typical Apple user, making unfounded and unprovable statements in an attempt to shift focus away from the ineptitude of the product and it's user-base.

Your ad hominem attack on teaspoons was also below the belt. Comparing their level of intelligence to that of an Apple user? Slander and libel is what that is!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:So you expect people who have a GPS to double check a map book first before they leave with their destination programmed?
yes. because GPS is software driven and i happen to understand that software is not inviolable and coverage, particularly in remote areas, is not reliable. charging off into the outback believing your "smartphone" makes you impervious to risk is... i'm not sure how you would choose to phrase it but let's go with "special"
Stuart wrote:I can assure you that most Apple/GPS users are quite capable of reading a map book.
prove it! also, hardly explains how these dimwits manage to blunder into fountains/oceans/walls and hold the world responsible for their idiocy..
Stuart wrote:
rustypup wrote:a 70km variance isn't exactly small change... :/
Isn't that pretty much the point the article was trying to make? Kudos for stating the obvious.
err.. i focused on the assertion that software could be held responsible for personal stupidity.... if your trip is taking half an hour longer than it should how spectacularly dumb do you have to be not to stop and ponder the possibility that all is not well in the woodshed?

"why yes, well-known-to-be-glitched-application, I *will* continue to follow your directions to the middle of nowhere because i'm such a clever monkey i own a unique-snowflake-device!"

gibblets tribbled?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I always check my google maps, gps, apple maps, 1990 street map book and 2012 map book just to make sure that all agree I go to the right place...

I'm not sure how apple maps work. I still have not updated to iOS6 because google maps is one of the apps I tend to use.

But doesn't it come back to you use a map book or these map apps to get from point A to B? If its mis printed or tells you to turn left instead of right it defeats the purpose of having it.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Why Apple Needs a Really Expensive iPhone

Some pundits are predicting, and others are advocating, that Appl launch an iPhone that's much cheaper than the current iPhone in order to keep up with current Android phone sales.

That is crazy talk.

Apple doesn't need a cheaper iPhone. They need a more expensive one--much more expensive. Here's why.

Read more
Cataclysm_ZA

Post by Cataclysm_ZA »

StarBound wrote:I'm not sure how apple maps work. I still have not updated to iOS6 because google maps is one of the apps I tend to use.
I checked out a friend's 4s the other day with the update and I'm pretty sure that although Apple is using Tom Tom data and maps, they're also mixing in their own crowd sourcing to improve things. Ditching Google is a financially sound idea for them and will obviously help cement their brand and sever their ties with Google, but Maps should have been released as a Beta. Everything is vectorised as well for smooth zooming, just like Nokia maps, but that whole 3D landscape thing is a useless waste of time. It will take them years before they perfect that and its just taking up space and resources they could put to better use elsewhere right now.
StarBound wrote:But doesn't it come back to you use a map book or these map apps to get from point A to B? If its mis printed or tells you to turn left instead of right it defeats the purpose of having it.
I guess people are just so used to Nokia Maps and Google being eerily accurate that they kind of take it for granted. Plus, there's a large swathe of stupid people out there who will drive their car into a river because the GPS says so, so maybe Apple's in cahoots with the car companies to give them more sales?
NAG Online Hardware Writer
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Cataclysm_ZA wrote:I checked out a friend's 4s the other day with the update and I'm pretty sure that although Apple is using Tom Tom data and maps, they're also mixing in their own crowd sourcing to improve things. Ditching Google is a financially sound idea for them and will obviously help cement their brand and sever their ties with Google, but Maps should have been released as a Beta.
Well, Google Maps is now available from the App Store, so it's a moot point in some regards.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

On the topic of maps, you can also get a free version of CoPilot for your i-Device, or Android.
Of course, it doesn't have voice-navigation, but if you're lost it's very handy (And it provides offline maps)

On a side note - after using an iPod Touch 4 for a couple weeks, compared to my Android phone...I can happily say that iOS is crap software. The device itself is wonder and excellent piece of tech. I just hate how limited and round-about it is. trying to set a custom ringtone? Absolute bogus.

Still - it's a good music player. ANd it works well for what it's designed for.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

DarkStar wrote:On a side note - after using an iPod Touch 4 for a couple weeks, compared to my Android phone...I can happily say that iOS is crap software.
After having used an iPhone 5 for a week, I can happily label you a deluded fanboy :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DarkStar wrote:after using an iPod Touch 4 for a couple weeks, compared to my Android phone...I can happily say that iOS is crap software.
After using a Galaxy Note for just over a year, I can safely say that iOS is far superior to Android.

Edit: Though I must say that Jelly Bean on my wife's phone is a more pleasant experience than ICS on my Galaxy Note.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Which phone did you end up getting Stu?

I was initially really annoyed by the fact that the iPhone couldn't be mounted as a disk drive, but after using iTunes to copy files over I think it's actually far better than having to hunt for folders. Just click on the app that's going to use the files, drag and drop. AWESOME.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I much prefer android to iOS for a couple of reasons
Decorative reasons:
I can have an empty home screen as my default page to show off my background
I can disable or uninstall the crap that comes default in the OSes (Stocks, Newstand, HTC Hub I am looking at you guys)
Widgets - Lots and lots and lots of them!

System Reasons:
Call Recorder
I can choose my default apps that open (Screw you apple, I don't want to use safari. Ever!)
I only need a Google account. I don't need an apple account.
Android apps interact with each other much more! Open a link in chrome to a forum that has tapatalk plugin installed and you get asked if you'd like to open the link with tapatalk or chrome

I do miss a couple of iOS apps a lot though - Instapaper on Android is nowhere near as good as its iOS counterpart :'(
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I've played around on a galaxy S3 for about 30 seconds and I have to say I'm not sold on it. Or rather not yet.

I do prefer the way iOS handles its stuff but that it only because I sit with a PC that I fully optimize myself. All my other devices I don't really want to mess with as well. Like they say, I want some me time after playing around on my pc.

The apple 3 touch philosophy shines nicely with iOS.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

D3PART3D wrote:Which phone did you end up getting Stu?
Took the wife with to see the options in the end and she opted for the S3 Mini. I'm okay with it in the end, given that Jelly Bean is a more pleasant experience than ICS.
Monty wrote:I only need a Google account. I don't need an apple account.
This was probably the number one reason that I wanted to try Android in the first place, but it didn't turn out as wonderful as I had hoped.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Animal

Post by Animal »

So, who got them the new Iphone 5?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Stuart wrote:
Took the wife with to see the options in the end and she opted for the S3 Mini. I'm okay with it in the end, given that Jelly Bean is a more pleasant experience than ICS.
Samsung's interface is too much, too in your face. Try HTC with there sense interface - its not as obtrusive as touchwiz. (Pure android is awesome!)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Animal wrote:So, who got them the new Iphone 5?
The only thing putting me off from getting one is the price. Other than that it is the phone I want.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Monty wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Samsung's interface is too much, too in your face. Try HTC with there sense interface - its not as obtrusive as touchwiz. (Pure android is awesome!)
I'd never considered the differences, to be honest. I rooted my Galaxy Note and tried a Cyanogen mod for a little while, but it was super unstable, so I eventually stuck the stock ICS back on, which has proven rather unstable too.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:
Animal wrote:So, who got them the new Iphone 5?
The only thing putting me off from getting one is the price. Other than that it is the phone I want.
Two guys in our church got them. Both are still struggling with SIM swap issues.
Animal

Post by Animal »

Got one on 8ta but will be using my Vodacom sim, so still have to do the simswop.

Have to say, other than the looks and slightly longer screen it feels like my 4S. Haven't tried the maps app, think I'll rather download TomTom.