Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by Anakha56 »

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Hee hee - I will try it. Still don't trust my ability though. Yes I can set up Sharepoint, Lync and SQL servers - but I am not sure I can root my phone :lol: Why is this female so dumb?
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Hey Tribble I even rooted my phone! After alot of help from Anakha and youtube i did it and it came out perfect! Its so easy, I used ODIN and it was done in a few minutes.
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
TheAlteredState

The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by TheAlteredState »

Anyone looking to get rid of a Galaxy S2?

PM me.

I have some good offers for you.
Significantly different from a normal waking beta wave state!
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ooh no - neva - I luff mine.

@Slimshaedy - ah now you see - I don't want to have to need Anky that much :twisted: Pam won't like it :lol: Naah I will give it a try - reading the material and seeing if I can back up my current settings and data. Used an app to do that last night on my Gtab so it should work on my phone. So will give it a try this weekend (if the work ever stops coming in).

Off topic because I am too lazy to move to the right thread - can system restore on Server 2008 wipe out files you put on the desktop but leave any new installations alone? A client has a server that every time they reboot the machine it wipes the desktop, documents and downloads folders clean. This is problematic as I am trying to build my Sql tables on it and it keeps removing my data. (you should know that SSMS uses the documents folder to store data files).
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I'm not the only one with a persecution mania and the Canadians are waking up at last.

So how do the Android users on the forum feel abour Google's new (lack of) privacy policy?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Perhaps I don't understand the ramifications but it really doesn't bother me. I suppose I will just have to be a bit more selective on the content I view if my kids are able to see what I do as all their accounts are linked via my email addys. Other than that - I don't know why it would upset me to have my different accounts linked. Most of them are already.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I have great news...

My SE Xperia Play is getting flashed byt the SE guys since I just don't have the time and patience to fix it myself. It bricked after I followed the SE guide to rooting then an OTA update bricked the phone.

Regardless, I am awaiting my new LG Optimus Black which will be coming with my new Red Bull Mobile contract. 200 minutes, 100 messages and 500megs for R249pm. IMO its worth it. Plus the Black is a great phone and super light. 109g!!!

Looking forward to getting back into Android. I miss the apps.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You know how you get all those jokes about how much smarter Android users are because they switch off the autocorrect feature, but Apple users are far stupider and leave autocorrect enabled, which leads to all those screenies at damnyouautocorrect.com?

I got a Galaxy Note on the weekend, and rather accustomed to the iPhone's autocorrect feature, immediately turned autocorrect on the Note. I switched it off after a few hours' use. The Android autocorrect is the most awful system I have ever encountered. It's horrendous. Apple users may have more autocorrect failures than Android users, but at least the Apple autocorrect system is actually helpful, which is more than can be said for Android's.

I am enjoying the Note, but the Android mobile OS is still to me what MacOS is to the desktop; viz., the bane of my existence.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

@Stu I personally have never made that sort of joke. Just found autocorrect to be very annoying on the iOS & Android however my keyboard of choice does far better than iOS and stock Android. Look up SwiftKey. ;)

Viz is alright. Could be better but its lighter on system resources than HTC's Sense. If you need to sort your apps in alphabetical order use a a app called Appzorter, really helps to keep things organized. You will have to explain to me your comment about AOS being like MacOS... :?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

And I use Swype - never used autocorrect though this thing does sometimes suggest wrong. That is how I knew one of my kids had taught my phone a few prize swearwords.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Tribble wrote:And I use Swype - never used autocorrect though this thing does sometimes suggest wrong. That is how I knew one of my kids had taught my phone a few prize swearwords.
Yeah it was the "kids" *wink wink, nudge nudge* :lol:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It was. I don't use language like that
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Tribble wrote:It was. I don't use language like that
Should I post those whatsapp logs? :P
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Nooooooooo :oops:
*withdraws - humbled. Wonders what she said in wa.*
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:Viz is alright. Could be better but its lighter on system resources than HTC's Sense. If you need to sort your apps in alphabetical order use a a app called Appzorter, really helps to keep things organized. You will have to explain to me your comment about AOS being like MacOS... :?
Um, fail? By "viz" I am not referencing an app named Viz. "Viz" means "namely" or "that is to say." Reread that part of my comment substituting "i.e." for "viz." ;)

What I mean, in essence, is that when I moved from Windows 7 to MacOS I constantly felt agitated and longed for Windows. When I am using Android I feel agitated and long for iOS.

I tried Swype. Didn't like it. To be fair though, I haven't given it a fair chance.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Lol I thought you were talking about TouchWiz launcher misread on my part :-P. But you did learn something new about the phone :-P.

I know what you mean. Same problem I had going from Android to iOS except in my case I had a iPod touch prior and it still felt ... limited. But each to their own :-).
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:When I am using Android I feel agitated and long for iOS.

I tried Swype. Didn't like it. To be fair though, I haven't given it a fair chance.
Same here. While the Android devices I had did have their merits, particularly the GS2, I just can't have it as an every day device.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Is there any way to remove your devices from the Android store? I have 7 devices that appear on the store (review phones and my personal phones) but it appears that I can only hide them in the menus and not remove them from my account completely.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryanrich wrote: I just can't have it as an every day device.
Why? Everything is there for you. If you want it like iOS pre the folder era you can have all your apps over multiple screens causing you to do a endless swipe action or you can group via folders to make browsing easier. How is that a problem? Phone calling on Android is easier because of the predictive dialing you can do, stock Android needs a app but Samsung and HTC have it built in. Pre-iOS 5 notifications were even easier swipe down to see your notifications. Typing on Android (due to other k/b's, default is meh) is even easier than iOS who's default k/b is crud and you cannot get any other k/b. Customizing iOS vs Android, Android wins hands down without root access. What about Android makes it difficult to use as a everyday device? Really interested to know because I know you have played with every device so far. iOS I have used and my gripes are lack of predictive dialing (without JB), lack of differing input software (K/B's), lack of customization options (without JB). Should also mention Android you can choose your launcher to suit your style and themes with said launcher all without a jailbreak.

Really dont understand why you feel Android cant be a everyday device... :?
KillerByte wrote:Is there any way to remove your devices from the Android store? I have 7 devices that appear on the store (review phones and my personal phones) but it appears that I can only hide them in the menus and not remove them from my account completely.
Not from what I have Googled so far :(. Its a real pain... :(
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Thanks Anakha. Rather excited to get back into Android. Already looking at the Market in preparation for my phone arriving today (hopefully).
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

@Anakha56: All that customisation you just mentioned is only useful if it appeals to you. I got over it pretty quickly. The keyboard on iOS works way better for me than any I tried on my GS2 and I make hardly any mistakes compared to my Samsung phone. Battery life and data usage on my GS2 were also extremely high compared to my iPhone.

All in all my iPhone just works better for me out of the box without the need to customise so much to get it the way I like it. Personal preference is all...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

@Ryanrich: you mention data usage on your GS2... how many megs were you using in a month? and how many are you using on your iPhone.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

At times, stock standard, my GS2 would use sometimes 10MB overnight doing who knows what! Only after I blocked the Google services with Droidwall did the usage drop. My iPhone uses almost nothing unless I'm in an app doing something that uses data.