Bok Squad

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Bok Squad

Post by StarPhoenix »

This is likely to be a controversial thread:....what are you views on the Springbok squad selected to tour the U.K., Ireland and Argentina.
Do you you the Springboks have a chance of beating England and what are their chances of winning the Grand Slam?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

I was shocked when I saw the selection for the Bok team. Players that have been on the bench for more than a year got selected. Then there are some obvious political inclusions. My only hope is that the selectors saw something that we ordinary folks missed. :cry:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
The1ONE

Post by The1ONE »

Im very sad about the selection, In places i can see why they selected some players, But leaving the performers of the Currie cup, How stupid can you get.....
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I'm disappointed that Etienne Botha didn't make it... he really diserves being a bok...

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
The1ONE

Post by The1ONE »

And who do they select above him, Bloody Bobo!!!!!

Hardly played any Rugby this season, And bang in the bok side

What do you think that does to a guy like Botha ???
MrC

Post by MrC »

I'm so tired of sport being affected by politics! C'mon, just select the best player for each position...

To Etienne Botha you are a spingbok in my book!
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

I'm also quite shocked Etienne Botha isn't in the squad. I mean, the guy was 1 try away from equaling the Currie Cup record. Apparently that's not good enough to get in the squad.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Well this is what Jake White has to say about it.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Mechano

Ettiene Botha

Post by Mechano »

Jake White should watch out. He has a good record so far. To go and spoil it because of politics is a waste of time.

Do you guys remember what Tiaan Strauss did a few years back. He was also the best man for the job but the selectors didn't choose him. So he went to Australia and became one of they're best Eighth Men of all time.

Just hope that Botha doesn't do the same.
The1ONE

Post by The1ONE »

Yeah i hear what jake says, But i still dont agree on some points
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Look, the choosing of any Bok squad will always be controversial, now in these times, even more so. We could debate for ages and still not provide a convincing argument.
Whether Etienne Botha should have been in the squad at this stage is debateable, I say this in the context of choosing a side purely on merit, in other words discounting the political appointees. The step up from Currie Cup to International is enormous! Look at Henno Mentz from the Sharks, good at CCup but a dismal performance for the Boks. As to EB leaving for overseas, well it is his choice, Rathbone did it rather successfully but I do not think that EB's grandmother was British. Tiaan Straus was already approaching the twilight of his career ( I know him personally) and there were also other reasons such as personality clashes, however the comment about him being a world class super eighth man is over the top!
Personally I feel that a player of EB's capabilities will have to be rewarded quite soon and it would not surprise me if it happens on this UK tour! He is only one game away from the Green and Gold, one injury to a test centre and he will be called immediately. In a convoluted way I think that this is the idea! It would be premature for him to leave for another country at this stage. His future is assured.
The fact that the squad consists of 33 players when only 28 will be in contention for test places also speaks volumes. The need for young black players to be exposed to a tour and the training that goes along with it, will be of great benefit to them and if the Super 12 or 15 coaches make use of them they will without doubt blossom. Tsimba Kennedy, Free State, was one such example, from derision to a loved citizen of Bloemfontein, of all places. A great pity about the phaffing around regarding his citizenship! I remember when Breyton first ran out for WP, what an outcry, now when he is left out everybody wants to know why! If anyone has deserved a place on merit it is Brian Havana, a young, talented and strong centre.
Can the squad win the games on tour; it will be very difficult but I feel that they can do it but only if the players feel that they have the backing and support of the real fans, the coach and their team mates around them.

StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

This is the response I was waiting/hoping for! :)
You're right, one cannot hope to please all of the people all of the time.
At least Etienne Botha has been given the oppurtunity to show what his made of in Argentina.
I think that what is important now is that we put our quibble sbehind us and get behind the Bokke.

GO BOKKE GO!
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

And so it begins...the Great Battle of this Age.....
to all of you who will, like me be, sitting near your television sets or radios at 17H00 tomorrow enjoy
watching and/or listening to the best team win....
and to the ex South African over there: You go Clyde.....give the Pommies carrots.....good on yer mate.....[Puts on his flame-proof suit.]
AngryRabbit

Post by AngryRabbit »

supertwit wrote:and to the ex South African over there: You go Clyde.....give the Pommies carrots.....good on yer mate.....[Puts on his flame-proof suit.]
No need for the suit mate, not everybody in SA completely brain dead.

Good on ya.

PS: Btw, you wouldn't happen to have a spare flame-proof-suit would you? :)
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

I think they are all gay.... :wink:
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

*Sends flame-proof suit to CrossHare.*
*Wonders who Skapie is referring to.*
*Wonders whether Skapie is related to die skaap
in the R.S.G. advertisement.*
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Not related - i AM die skaap in the RSG advertisement... i r famous....
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Look, skapie is doing a bok-stir! He is still suffering from the side efects of cavorting with YOda.
I too hope that the Aussie team annihilate the English team, and I think they will. Angry knows that I and Jung are great fans of Clyde; just don't like the team he plays for! But he is a great player and if White had been given the coaching job sooner, Clyde would still have been here! You would be astounded if you knew all the damage that Strauli, Markgraaf and the rest of the fools created! No support for young, talented and (I hate to say this) English speaking players. Send me one of those suits Twit!

I think we will take the Welsh and Scots without too much trouble, the English are there to be picked, they will try and rile the Boks as they see their discipline as a problem. I will never forget the Boks dismal and sad display last year during the 53-3 Bok defeat, I still cringe! Now the Irish, well we will have to be very careful here, but I feel that our backline may well be the key here. I do not rate the Irish defence as highly as our own. A good tight five display, quick first and second phase, move the line to the wings and win! Our biggest problem is still the flyhalf position, it is here where a game is won or lost. We must watch this important position, I am sure that Jake is working on this; he is a very good tactician.

wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Well said ... :smile:
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

wit_skapie wrote:Not related - i AM die skaap in the RSG advertisement... i r famous....
:lol: ......May I have your autograph?
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

*Sends Sir Lancelot and Doctor Jung one-size-fits all flame- proof suits*
Wonders why the selection English/Xhosa/Zulu/Sotho,etc-speaking players should rile anyone.*

So you think we may be able to take the Grand Slam then?
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

8O 8O 8O :x

EISH! That was just TOOOOO close for comfort.......what are you r thoughts
on Saturday's debacle, Sir Lancelot?
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well Super, what a disappointment for me, I know a win is good and I really did appreciate that but………. The Boks started of well, wrong winger in Willemse though but what the heck! Paddy O’Brien was always going to send a South African off but the way he did it was nonsense, 13 points scored while Schalk was off! The decision was dubious to say the least. Then to top it all instead of tightening up play and using our forwards and flyhalf, we continue playing an open game with the Welsh lying so flat that they were bordering on “off side” for most of the game!
Do not know what got into Jake but he then changes half the team when we are obviously not doing all that well, stupid! We had a good defensive pattern going, lapsed twice and the Welsh scored, we will have to watch the scrum fringes far better against the Irish, who in my opinion are the team to beat.
Overall fair to mediocre, but Jake has his job cut out for him!
The Aussie team did not perform well at their first encounter either, also too loose. We must be careful, tighten up our game play and then take the opportunities which will present themselves!
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Many of the people I work with are of the opinion that Schalk is big, strong and stupid-something of a liability to the team....I agree with you about Willemse though...I was pleased when Jean de Villiers replaced him....I would have liked to have seen the backs being much less elaborate
[cut out on the fancy Carlos Spencer-type passes
and skip passes] I sincerely hope that the boks pull up their collective socks this week, for I fear what may happen against the Irish......[but then I am a
natural pessimist...]
Recato

Post by Recato »

They should pick a squad of only 30. If they want to take other people along they should then say they are only touring with and getting some of the vibe of the tour.

It is a pity for the black players to be chosen and then they must hear they are their because of skin color.

I never hear anyone complaining about the soccer mixes. How many white people in a soccer team? Cricket did the right thing just abolising this issue.

If you are good (does not matter what you are) you can play.