Top 3 still in league of their own

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Top 3 still in league of their own

Post by Tel »

Supersport wrote:Top three still in league of their own
Posted on 11 August 2004 - 07:46

Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United return to action this weekend itching to re-assert their control of the increasingly soulless world of premier league football.

The trio, respectively champions, runners-up and FA Cup winners last season, have become a footballing and financial elite, relegating the other 17 clubs in the division to cameo roles and a battle for Uefa Cup berths and the League Cup.

Fourth-placed Liverpool were closer on points to relegation than to Arsenal in 2003-04 and there is nothing to suggest the gulf between the top three and the rest will get smaller.

Fortunately for the fans, the lack of suspense will not mean any shortage of skill and spectacle.

Arsenal's Thierry Henry and Robert Pires, along with United's Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy and Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo should keep global audiences entertained.

Chelsea, transformed by Russian billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, are putting their faith in new coach Jose Mourinho fresh from guiding Porto to the Champions League trophy.

Success in the premier league has been re-defined by Arsenal's unbeaten season, the first for over 100 years.

If skipper Patrick Vieira resists the lure of Real Madrid and joins Henry and Pires in putting France's disappointing Euro 2004 behind them, Arsenal could make more history before the month is out.

FOREST TARGET

Away to Everton on Sunday, Arsenal could match Nottingham Forest's unbeaten record of 42 games if they also avoid defeat at home to Middlesbrough next weekend. A game against Blackburn Rovers follows on August 25.

Manager Arsene Wenger has made few changes to his squad and will rely on the proven Vieira-Pires-Henry axis, backed up by central defenders Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure.

Chelsea also have a new strike pairing in Ivory Coast's Didier Drogba and Mateja Kezman of Serbia and Montenegro, plus young Dutch winger Arjen Robben.

Stamford Bridge's revolving door has been busy, ushering out Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Marcel Desailly, Emmanuel Petit, Jesper Gronkjaer, Juan Sebastian Veron, Hernan Crespo and Mario Melchiot.

Having failed to lure Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, Chelsea will rely mainly on their existing midfield, bolstered by newcomer Tiago Mendes, and Mourinho's tactical nous to improve on being domestic runners-up and Champions League semifinalists.

United aim to shrug off the disappointment of third place and a Champions League exit at the first knockout stage.

Alex Ferguson blamed his team's failures on the eight-month ban which Rio Ferdinand began in January for missing a drug test and no-one will be more glad to see the England central defender back in a red shirt than his manager.

MIDFIELD KEY

United will again look to Van Nistelrooy for goals while Ronaldo should provide even more spark in midfield -- the area where class really tells.

For the past three years the premier league has been won by the club with the highest-scoring midfielder - Robert Pires and Fredrik Ljungberg of Arsenal in 2004 and 2002, and Paul Scholes of Manchester United in 2003.

United's midfield will still be based around warhorse captain Roy Keane and Scholes, now playing solely for United after ending his England career, with Van Nistelrooy, Louis Saha and newcomer Alan Smith up front.

For other clubs, the coming season is a question of survival or at best a place in Europe.

With former Valencia boss Rafael Benitez at the helm, Liverpool will be anxious to make a fresh start after a season studded with poor performances.

They need prolific striker Michael Owen to confound transfer speculation linking him with Real Madrid, and if he stays the England marksman has a highly promising new partner in French Ligue 1 top scorer Djibril Cisse.

Two clubs with ambitions of moving out of mid-table security are Middlesbrough, with their new strike pairing of Hasselbaink and Mark Viduka, and Tottenham Hotspur, who hope the arrival of former France coach Jacques Santini will end a prolonged period in the doldrums. Many sides, especially promoted Norwich City, West Bromwich Albion and Crystal Palace, will be grateful just to finish 17th or better and spend another season in the top flight.

For like the Fratton Park faithful who applauded Arsenal off the pitch after they had thrashed Portsmouth 5-1 in an FA Cup tie last season, the idea of matching England's elite has become pure fantasy.

Ref: Supersport
I can't wait for the games this weekend. GO GUNNERS!!
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mekker

Post by Mekker »

don't write off liverpool, could shock you, envin
Pentium 75
64Mb Ram
14" Monitor
Win98
Speakers, mouse, keyboard.
Image Image
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

pffft Liverpool. Who are they? j/k Mekker :wink: You never can know for definite.
newtonHeath

Post by newtonHeath »

Must agree, i think the league will be contested by the same 3 as last season. Must say i was suprised by Liverpool's lack of transfer activity(Cisse and Josemi) and with Owen destined for Real, i think they need to make at least 3 more quality signings. But Benitez has done well with little money available at Valencia so i would not discard them by any means.

My darkhorse for the season..............Newcastle and Middlesbough(excuse spelling). Both these teams have made nice signings.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Those are good predictions newton. Now that you mention it Newcastle and M'borough are definite chances with Newcastle's big one being Kluivert. M
borough's big ones being Viduka and Hasselbaink.
newtonHeath

Post by newtonHeath »

Envinyatar wrote:Those are good predictions newton. Now that you mention it Newcastle and M'borough are definite chances with Newcastle's big one being Kluivert. M
borough's big ones being Viduka and Hasselbaink.
I think ppl forget that Newcastle finished 3rd 2 seasons ago(ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea) and there biggest mistake was not adding to there squad with the exception of Lee Bowyer for last season. Now they have added players to there middfield and attack.

I think its gonna be alot tighter. But i think its gonna be bad for the English Premier League if Owen and Viera leave for spain. Thats 2 world class players leaving the league.

At least we get to see the Spanish League these days.
Mekker

Post by Mekker »

Envinyatar wrote:pffft Liverpool. Who are they? j/k Mekker :wink: You never can know for definite.
when are you gonna visit the guys. it's just the 6 of us now.
Pentium 75
64Mb Ram
14" Monitor
Win98
Speakers, mouse, keyboard.
Image Image
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

I think the Lions will also do good this year...