Piracy in general

Discussion of piracy-related topics go in here. Please read the rules of this section first.
Forum rules
Please read the piracy section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Piracy

Post by hamin_aus »

Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

Summed up

Economy is buggered, games are expensive, what else to do?

Must play, must play......
Success is to jump from one failure to another with a positive attitude......
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Scorp1on wrote:Must play, must play......
:? attempt at validation?

seriously?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

rustypup wrote:
Scorp1on wrote:Must play, must play......
:? attempt at validation?

seriously?

No - not at all -

Merely stating the a fact. Games have become rather costly, and the rate at which our economy is crumbling, I do not see any relief in near furture. Based on that I will play a pirate game or two, as I need to play games like you need to breathe.

No - Not a validation, merely an observation from a singular point of view - MINE
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Scorp1on wrote: I need to play games like you need to breathe.
:roll: sad...

i was hoping this was some new argument other than the tried, failed and infinitely juvenile "i can haz to playz gamez! lolz!" argument which, had you bothered to follow this thread, has already proven to be false on every count...

the harsh reality is, no. gaming is not like breathing - i cannot begin to imagine the twisted sense of vindication it takes to imagine that your theft can be mitigated on economic grounds...
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

rustypup wrote:
Scorp1on wrote: I need to play games like you need to breathe.
:roll: sad...

i was hoping this was some new argument other than the tried, failed and infinitely juvenile "i can haz to playz gamez! lolz!" argument which, had you bothered to follow this thread, has already proven to be false on every count...

the harsh reality is, no. gaming is not like breathing - i cannot begin to imagine the twisted sense of vindication it takes to imagine that your theft can be mitigated on economic grounds...
Exactly, as a matter of interest Scorp1on, any kind of piracy promotion on this forum is strictly prohibited.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

And again, there is no excuse.

With this economic downturn, one still needs to eat, get around etc, and yet that doesn't justify stealing petrol and food.

These arguments never make sense.

I will say it again, playing PC games is a LUXURY, which, like driving a Ferrari, should be dispensed with if one cannot afford it.

*Edit* and just take a moment to think what the economic crisis is doing to game devs. Don't think about the producers (like EA), think about the guys that develop these games that are also being hit by a downturn in sales, coupled to the piracy of a title. What's going to happen when those doors start closing and there is nothing to play?
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

If you really must play games and don't have a lot of money, buy a MMO like WoW or GW. They are long enough that you won't be buying anything else for a while.

I used to buy at least one game a month. Sometimes more. Then I started WoW about six months ago. Since then I have bought only one other game (Sacred 2), and I haven't installed it yet. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, there is no justification for piracy. It is illegal no matter how you look at it.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

Jeez crap me out now !!!!

I do not promote piracy.
I also believe that buyng originalls assist the making company to turn more profit, also know that the more profit they make the better games we get next time round.

I agree that I did not follow the full thread.
I merely stated my opinion, like I said.

Jeez you guys are touchy today. SMILE - LAUGH - JUMP, you will feel better I promise.....
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

You have to be careful on this forum about piracy. I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't been locked or deleted yet, considering the admins' stance on piracy. I recall a thread about Mass Effects DRM that I created where some of us got warned when hinting about a no-cd crack.

I can understand their point though. This is a public forum of a publishing company, so they are more in the public eye. It will hurt them if it appears that they are condoning piracy.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

endev8003 wrote:If you really must play games and don't have a lot of money, buy a MMO like WoW or GW. They are long enough that you won't be buying anything else for a while..
Don't you have to pay a monthly subscription to play WOW though?
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Jonboy wrote:
endev8003 wrote:If you really must play games and don't have a lot of money, buy a MMO like WoW or GW. They are long enough that you won't be buying anything else for a while..
Don't you have to pay a monthly subscription to play WOW though?
Yes, but it works about R150 per month, depending on the exchange rate. It's a lot cheaper than buying a new game of R400, and keeps you busy for the whole month, while more recent games tend to go for the 4-5 days of playing.

I never meant free, just cheap(er).
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Scorp1on wrote:I do not promote piracy.
Scorp1on wrote:Jeez you guys are touchy today.
hmm... doesn't this just smack of :
"I was only kidding! Sheesh! Lighten up! Haha..."

i) this would be acceptable if you weren't aligning your morally ambiguous argument with the economically challenged mass of people out there who are, right this moment, doing all manner of things to survive... your attempt at levity only worsens your case... it is, quite frankly, distasteful, (personal opinion).

ii) speaking as someone who does a fair amount of development, (and keeping in mind that there are more than a few posters here who's profession is development), understand when i say - there are very few things i find amusing about piracy....
Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

Chill pill PUP - It is all I have to say to you.

Using big words does not impress me at all, only shows that you can also read the dictionary. Amazing is it not.

If I offended you in any way shape or form please feel free to PM me and get it out of your system.

Thank you for participating.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Scorp1on wrote:Using big words does not impress me at all, only shows that you can also read the dictionary. Amazing is it not.
:? this is the strategy you're adopting in defence of your anti-social stance on property and fair value exchange? :lol: my use of 'fancy' language? classy...

clumsy ad hominem attacks aside, do you then recant your stance that media piracy is morally defensible on economic grounds? because, unless you're a card carrying beggar, i fail to see the humour so apparent to others...
Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

Scorp1on wrote: If I offended you in any way shape or form please feel free to PM me and get it out of your system.
Funny how you only chose to read what you want.

I am immensly impressed by you actually, taking such a strong stance in what you believe in.

I am impressed that you do not have a single copied CD and or song at your home, I am impressed that you do not own a single dowloaded or borrowed copy of a movie in AVI or ISO format. I am impressed that you do not have a single e-book on your system that you should have paid for. I am impressed that you do not have any episode of any tv series which is not originall. I am impressed that you have actually not even watched, listened to or read any of the above mentioned.

I mean by the sounds of it you take this seriuosly and as such would not participate in this in any way shape or form.

Like I said - WELL DONE !!!

:angel13:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Scorp1on wrote:Funny how you only chose to read what you want.
hmm... i see no reason for this to make it to PM..

your point was challenged.. defend it through discourse or opt out.

were you spamming or entering the discussion? the above post says "mindless spamming and now i've got my big-girl panties in a knot because some folks didn't agree with me".

if you are sincere in your desire to paricipate in the discussion, show the rest of the posters the courtesy of at least reading the thread... :/
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Scorp1on wrote:
Scorp1on wrote: If I offended you in any way shape or form please feel free to PM me and get it out of your system.
Funny how you only chose to read what you want.

I am immensly impressed by you actually, taking such a strong stance in what you believe in.

I am impressed that you do not have a single copied CD and or song at your home, I am impressed that you do not own a single dowloaded or borrowed copy of a movie in AVI or ISO format. I am impressed that you do not have a single e-book on your system that you should have paid for. I am impressed that you do not have any episode of any tv series which is not originall. I am impressed that you have actually not even watched, listened to or read any of the above mentioned.

I mean by the sounds of it you take this seriuosly and as such would not participate in this in any way shape or form.

Like I said - WELL DONE !!!

:angel13:
Be careful, be very careful, I wield immense power!

Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

Thanx for pointing this out to me PUP.

All I am trying to bring across, is that even though majority of posters here do not agree on piracy, the facts are this.

Piracy is here to stay. Our economic and social life style is of such a nature that it is impossible to escape whether you like it or not.

Violence, threats of life, cost of living etc increases so much that a lot of good people simply can not afford to rent a DVD, go and see a movie etc.
Yes I know I started off with the PC game thing, but we all know it is bigger than this.

I just can not get myself to judge people watching or having pirated stuff, when their current monetary situation simply does not allow for this.

Please do not assume for any moment that I support piracy, but I just believe that this is something that has become part and parcel of who we as humans are that we overlook small piracy and concentrate only on the massive things.

Let's be honest - Each and every-one of us (whether you want to admit or not) do have our own MP3 collection. Whether you copied from a friend, downloaded or just backed up your own stuff.

We just have to realise that whether you steal 1c or R1million, fact remains stealing is stealing.

I hope I gave this a good shot.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Scorp1on wrote:...the facts are this.
None of the points made below are based on any sort of fact, nor are they substantiated by any sort of statistical data
Scorp1on wrote:Piracy is here to stay. Our economic and social life style is of such a nature that it is impossible to escape whether you like it or not.
YOUR economic and social lifestyle may be such that it is impossible to express a dissenting opinion when offered goods of a pirated nature, but there are MANY of us here that don't, in fact, partake in music / movie sharing and in fact buy our music off iTunes and related sites. I buy all my movies and TV series legitimately off Kalahari etc and if I cannot afford something I DON'T GET IT, whether movie, game etc.
Scorp1on wrote:Violence, threats of life, cost of living etc increases so much that a lot of good people simply can not afford to rent a DVD, go and see a movie etc.
I have never been threatened with life, violently or not :twisted: , and quite frankly I fail to see how how the first two points are relevant to advocate piracy. The cost of living has in fact decreased since the inception of the global economic meltdown. If a person cannot afford to rent a movie, I fail to see how they can afford to buy a pirated movie. There are legitimate policies in place whereby people can go watch a movie for R12 on a Tues, or R30 any other time, and quite frankly, there's no excuse for buying a grainy, filmed-in-the-theatre knock-off. I also then don't see why, if people are in such dire straits, they don't sell their PCs if they can't afford to do anything on them. If you can't afford petrol for your car, you shouldn't have one in the first place.
Scorp1on wrote:Yes I know I started off with the PC game thing, but we all know it is bigger than this.

I just can not get myself to judge people watching or having pirated stuff, when their current monetary situation simply does not allow for this.
You weren't judging anybody, you said that you would probably be buying some shady PC games. And again, not having money does not justify piracy, much in the way poverty DOES NOT justify crime
Scorp1on wrote:Please do not assume for any moment that I support piracy, but I just believe that this is something that has become part and parcel of who we as humans are that we overlook small piracy and concentrate only on the massive things.
You contradict yourself by saying later on that stealing is stealing, whether 1c or R 100 000 000. Yet here you say that we only focus on the massive things? Do you know that a large portion of the proceeds made from street vending of music, games and movies goes into the funding for more serious crimes like robbery, ATM bombings, hi-jackings, human trafficking? You cannot view "little" piracy in isolation of other crimes. As for your comment that saying piracy is part and parcel of who we are as humans is a ridiculous generalisation of the population as a whole rather than saying that the percentage of game-playing, lan-attending kiddies can't say no to the offer of free warez
Scorp1on wrote:Let's be honest - Each and every-one of us (whether you want to admit or not) do have our own MP3 collection. Whether you copied from a friend, downloaded or just backed up your own stuff.
Again, you cannot make that generalisation. It's not illegal to make an MP3 rip of a CD you own. It is illegal to then go and flog it at the corner. You have no idea what music sharing has done to the dance music or local rock music in this country, with many fledgling artists simply slipping through the cracks because they immediately lose 1000 copies to piracy as soon as they release an album
Scorp1on wrote:We just have to realise that whether you steal 1c or R1million, fact remains stealing is stealing.

I hope I gave this a good shot.
See my earlier comment. While giving this argument some sort of misguided attempt at debate, you fail to prove to me, and I'm sure many others here, that we must just accept piracy.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

/popcorn
Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

Ok, I have spent most of my day today going trough the whole thread.

I would like to ask a question please.

Where I work currently we have our own little intranet. On this we have a section where we have almost 5000 books.

These books are not full e-books, but rather a VERY comprehensive summary of the book. Some summaries goes up to about 30 pages !

These books range from business analysts to leadership to managing all types of situations. Personal growth books etc.

Since these books are so well summarised, would this constitute the P word?
jee

Post by jee »

When dealing with books you are not looking at piracy, but copyright, IP and fair use. The summaries, who summarized the books, is it proper summaries of the concepts or copy and paste, and what rights EACH of those books have (some allow NO copying or reproduction, others are part of creative commons (and within that there are a variety of options) will decide if you are in the right or wrong ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Scorp1on

Post by Scorp1on »

jee wrote:When dealing with books you are not looking at piracy, but copyright, IP and fair use. The summaries, who summarized the books, is it proper summaries of the concepts or copy and paste, and what rights EACH of those books have (some allow NO copying or reproduction, others are part of creative commons (and within that there are a variety of options) will decide if you are in the right or wrong ;)

Thanks Jee,
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Pirates > Ninjas
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk