New Formula 1 FIA proposals

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Hawk21

New Formula 1 FIA proposals

Post by Hawk21 »

here are the new proposals by the FIA to "slow" down F1 cars:
The FIA has today provided the Formula One teams with details of a package of measures to reduce the performance of Formula One cars. These measures are likely to be imposed if satisfactory proposals have not been agreed by at least 8 teams and presented to the FIA before 6 September 2004.

Aerodynamics (2005)

Diffuser height limited, front wing raised, rear wing element moved forward and changes to the bodywork immediately in front of the rear wheels. Together, these changes are estimated to reduce downforce on a current car by at least 25%, but reduce drag by less than 4%.

Explanation: lower downforce will reduce speeds, particularly in fast corners, and slightly increase braking distances, while the small reduction in drag will have a minimal effect on straight-line speeds.

Tyres (2005)

A driver may choose from two types of tyre, as in 2004. He will then have two sets of his chosen tyre, one for Friday and Saturday practice, the other for qualifying and the race. A damaged tyre can be replaced during the race (taken from the first set), but the car cannot be refuelled at the same time as the damaged tyre is changed.

Explanation: a tyre which must last 350 km rather than 80 km will have less grip, reducing cornering speeds, increasing braking distances and possibly producing less tyre debris or "marbles".

Engine (2005)

One engine to last for two race weekends. Explanation: both peak and average power will be less than for an engine with a shorter life.

Engine (2006)

2.4 litre V8 (90º) with maximum bore diameter, fixed cylinder spacing, minimum crankshaft centre line height, minimum weight and minimum height of centre of gravity. Direct fuel injection, variable geometry inlet systems, variable geometry exhaust systems, variable valve timing and variable valve lift systems all prohibited. Only one spark plug, one coil and one injector per cylinder. Exotic materials banned.

Explanation: a 20% reduction in capacity will produce a corresponding drop in power. Constraints on design and the use of materials will significantly slow the rate of power increase and reduce the scope for using engine design to improve chassis characteristics. Keeping existing cylinder sizes retains many current engine components while keeping engine revs close to current levels.

Other engines

During 2006 and 2007, teams which cannot obtain a 2.4 litre engine will be able to use a 3 litre V10 with power restricted by means of a rev limit fixed by the FIA.

Explanation: this will ensure that all teams (including new entrants) have access to a competitive engine, even if supplies of the new 2.4 are initially restricted.
v8 engines back in the cars? i can almost see turbos making a comeback :P
(although i seriously hope not)

in any case these are the FIA's proposals so well have to wait and see what the teams come up with...
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Instead of making the cars slower why don't they make the track longer

I don't watch F1 its boring :(
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
goku

Post by goku »

the_nominator wrote:Instead of making the cars slower why don't they make the track longer

Good point. It took them how long to get the cars faster not to mention the time and money spent doing so and only to find their cars are too fast :evil:
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

goku wrote:
the_nominator wrote:Instead of making the cars slower why don't they make the track longer

Good point. It took them how long to get the cars faster not to mention the time and money spent doing so and only to find their cars are too fast :evil:
Urm, whats wrong with cars getting faster? I dont quite see the point of slowing them down. :?
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

The coolest thing about F1 is when they crash, they crash cause of the speed :twisted: :twisted:

Now with them slower they will not crash as much so i'll probably never watch again.
Not that I used too.
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
brabham

Post by brabham »

I'm sorry but all these rule changes by the FIA are just dumba$$.

There's no point in F1 if you have similarly spec'd cars. I hope Schumi retires after this year. It will be an insult to have him drive one of those go-carts they call F1 cars. :evil:
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

The whole point about F1 is speed 8)

Why mess with a perfect formula( formula 1)

I feel the need for speed :lol:
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

this is pretty much a knee jerk reaction from the FIA in relation to Ralf Schumachers accident, where he sustainded spinal fractures if i remember right,

i can understand the danger of the cars getting too fast for the circuits they race on, but they shouldnt slow down the forumla so much that itl just be formula 3000 in fancy clothes :evil:
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon