Going Overseas

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
v1c

Going Overseas

Post by v1c »

Hi Guys

Need some advice, Im going overseas next month and was hoping to buy some goodies (electronics etc) for a little bit cheaper than here and was wondering what you would recommend. I would have liked to have gone to the East as everything would have been cheaper but Im going to be in ...

London - UK (Pounds)
Amsterdam - Holland (Euros)
Rhineland - Germany (Euros)
Lucerne - Switzerland (Euros)
Paris - France (Euros)

Which of these would be the better place to get stuff?
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

Are you talking legal or illegal, cause I probably know the right people if you are willing to buy brand new PC components that were "taken away without owners consent" from the back of 18 wheelers in Eastern Europe....

:lol:
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
Hybrid_Halogen

Post by Hybrid_Halogen »

lol haha ^_^

Well back on topic, I think prolly Germany or Switzerland...the norther you go, the cheaper it gets. Try visit Ukraine, cheapest in Europe according to my online European friends.
Thug4life

Post by Thug4life »

If u are in the UK go to www.overclockers.co.uk or www.dabs.com to buy stuff online. The prices are fairly good (especially the oc site) and the deliver to your doorstep! If you are looking for modding goodies go to www.thecoolingshop.co.uk

cheers
Education: the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

PC stuff isn't really all that much cheaper in Europe. And remember that if you get caught at Customs, you'll have to pay duties on it too... Not really worth it, in my opinion.
human slave in an insect nation
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Leigh is so right. The only stuff I buy in those countries are goodies that I cannot get over here. I find that the stuff is mostly more expensive. Customs will charge you 10% duty (plus VAT) if you declare, if you don't declare and you are searched, you will be in deep! Euro's have resulted in huge rip off's. Out of all those you mention, France is the cheapest and then only at Calais where you pick up the Chunnel train. After that Holland, the rest are just too expensive but you can compare prices, just remember things like warranty issues. :(
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Yeah Europe won't be much of a bargain. If you were going the the USA you might have picked up a few things cheap. As for import duties, I think you are allowed to bring back 'gifts' to a certain amount without being taxed. Whatever you do, don't pu electronic devices in you luggage. I bought a Gameboy in Tuscon AZ and just dumped it in my suitcase at the hotel. When I got to the airport they unpacked my whole luggage coz they saw the Gameboy on the scan and thought I might be carrying a bomb. :roll:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Sure, gifts to the value of R500, big deal from Customs
v1c

Post by v1c »

I was thinking of stuff like a digital camera/video camera. I doubt customs will give me a hard time, millions of tourists take that kind of stuff with them on holiday all the time, but if you dont hear back from me, its because I was caught by custom officials and the wounds from the cavity search havent healed yet 8O

Wish me luck. :wink: This post will self destruct in 5 seconds

anyone got a match?
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Thug4life. can you be less of a prick and have a smaller sig, or do you have a problem with the size of yours ?
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

bb_matt wrote:Thug4life. can you be less of a prick and have a smaller sig, or do you have a problem with the size of yours ?
LOL, yes i have said so before as well, the thing is ridiculous....
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Yeah thug that Sig is a bit big, no offence against it dude but it doesn't lengthen loading times unneccesarily and makes following a topic a whole lot harder! So be a sport and downsize that thing pls!

As for buying stuff Vic, i highly doubt customs will go easy on you! Thats like a ferrari coming third, almost damn near impossible! LOL.

I'd reckon you buy your stuff from SA as there are some really great deals going around atm with guys trying to clear stock for the next-gen of techies!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

v1c wrote:I was thinking of stuff like a digital camera/video camera. I doubt customs will give me a hard time, millions of tourists take that kind of stuff with them on holiday all the time
And that's why you are supposed to declare it when departing SA at the Customs office. I went to Denmark a few weeks ago and had to declare my digital camera and some other stuff before leaving. If you don't have the declaration saying that you had the camera before leaving the country, Customs are going to have a hard time believing you that a camera in your bag upon return was with you when you left.

And having just been in Europe, I can safely say that digital cameras are exactly the same price there as they are here. Exactly the same.
human slave in an insect nation
v1c

Post by v1c »

Leigh wrote:
v1c wrote:I was thinking of stuff like a digital camera/video camera. I doubt customs will give me a hard time, millions of tourists take that kind of stuff with them on holiday all the time
And that's why you are supposed to declare it when departing SA at the Customs office. I went to Denmark a few weeks ago and had to declare my digital camera and some other stuff before leaving. If you don't have the declaration saying that you had the camera before leaving the country, Customs are going to have a hard time believing you that a camera in your bag upon return was with you when you left.

And having just been in Europe, I can safely say that digital cameras are exactly the same price there as they are here. Exactly the same.
OK, now I see. I never knew you had to declare what you were taking when you left, I thought it was only on arrival. So what other ideas do you guys have then? Im going to have to get some chocolates while in Switzerland, I hope I dont have to declare those, but what else is there to buy? I cant spend all my money in the red-light district in Amsterdam 8O , or can I? :twisted:
AMDfan

Post by AMDfan »

Definetly Germany, hardwares are cheaper, softwre not that much. I was there in 2000 when they still have the DM, don't know if the Euro had any effect on the prices now.